What's new

Matt's Off Road Recovery.

I think Matt is selling more than recovery. He had a video about how he chooses less expensive equipment that is easy to replace because it provides him what he needs performance wise without having hugely expensive equipment out on the trail all the time. His channel is about being Andy Griffith, a good guy, with a bunch of fun friends who have fun helping less fortunate people and making stuff they like. They get great joy out of getting fast food and spend long hours, have a good work ethic and have nice families that cooperate (again) to help the temporarily less fortunate.

It is feel good tv where they do brave deeds to save people in distress using cunning, low cost, easy to get parts, and they get joy out of the environment, the people and the situations. 'they'll get'em out' is no guarantee of elegance or genius but good ol american stick to it iveness.

The last element that is both great story telling AND good business is that they bring in the other channels and some times ALL the super heroes (who are the average man with families) show up, do the recovery and celebrate with Sushi in Hurricane, Utah. There is every reason this concept of a show is a HUGE hit. It has every element to attract viewers from all kinds of 'narrative needs'. From people who like to go on trails to people who just want a good story with a good outcome, Matt delivers.

the only cracks in the shield seem to come when he addresses the folks who see themselves as 'hard core' off roaders. When he gets defensive, it isn't affable Matt, and the audience likes affable Matt. If I were advising him, I'd shape those videos differently.

As it is, when he includes Rory and HeavyD and FabRats or Robby, it is great for all, they all get more views, more subscribers, more ad sales, more merch sold. They do better cooperating than being solo from a biz side.

I think Matt is selling more than recovery. He had a video about how he chooses less expensive equipment that is easy to replace because it provides him what he needs performance wise without having hugely expensive equipment out on the trail all the time. His channel is about being Andy Griffith, a good guy, with a bunch of fun friends who have fun helping less fortunate people and making stuff they like. They get great joy out of getting fast food and spend long hours, have a good work ethic and have nice families that cooperate (again) to help the temporarily less fortunate.

It is feel good tv where they do brave deeds to save people in distress using cunning, low cost, easy to get parts, and they get joy out of the environment, the people and the situations. 'they'll get'em out' is no guarantee of elegance or genius but good ol american stick to it iveness.

The last element that is both great story telling AND good business is that they bring in the other channels and some times ALL the super heroes (who are the average man with families) show up, do the recovery and celebrate with Sushi in Hurricane, Utah. There is every reason this concept of a show is a HUGE hit. It has every element to attract viewers from all kinds of 'narrative needs'. From people who like to go on trails to people who just want a good story with a good outcome, Matt delivers.
Exactly, with "simple" equipment it makes it easier for someone to identify with them and with not mocking the people who got stuck (and as in the video the other week pulling out the Rover using the skid steer as an anchor) sometimes explaining why it would have looked like a good idea to the driver it makes people who have seen the show more likely to call them if they get stuck.

the only cracks in the shield seem to come when he addresses the folks who see themselves as 'hard core' off roaders. When he gets defensive, it isn't affable Matt, and the audience likes affable Matt. If I were advising him, I'd shape those videos differently.
Yes, unlike some shows (both on YouTube and on TV) they don't "thrive" on fake drama and/or people yelling/screaming at each other and IMO that is one of the things that makes them watchable/intriguing to many people.

As it is, when he includes Rory and HeavyD and FabRats or Robby, it is great for all, they all get more views, more subscribers, more ad sales, more merch sold. They do better cooperating than being solo from a biz side.
I agree.

Aaron Z

There is a channel where the guy is in southeastern ohio and he reposses rented sheds. But, he does it with grace and maturity and is evenhanded even is super sketchy situations with pissed off hillbillies. The clever tools of the trade (but still relatively simple tools) and his demeanor WITH the cast of characters who are getting their sheds yanked also provide that 'happy ending' 'nice guy' 'get along' vibe.

It is a really good channel too. (enjoyable to me)

You guys obvious haven't price the axles under that thing. I think it's all a sham, just another show put on for our entertainment and his profit. Nothing wrong with that, but I seriously doubt he isn't in it for the money and has a carefully calculated image that he maintains to keep his reputation and views. He's not as rabid about it as Dave Sparks, but it's the same deal. As for the bullshit winches, I'd be willing to bet it's just a sponsorship deal or freebie to get them on his channel.

You guys obvious haven't price the axles under that thing. I think it's all a sham, just another show put on for our entertainment and his profit. Nothing wrong with that, but I seriously doubt he isn't in it for the money and has a carefully calculated image that he maintains to keep his reputation and views. He's not as rabid about it as Dave Sparks, but it's the same deal. As for the bullshit winches, I'd be willing to bet it's just a sponsorship deal or freebie to get them on his channel.
what is wrong with creating entertainment and making money?

what is wrong with creating entertainment and making money?
Nothing. But don't give me the Andy Griffith line when the reality is that it's all very contrived. Granted, it is entertaining and I like watching most of it, but I'm reminded of the whole "canned laughter" thing in sitcoms when they say shit that's not even remotely funny.

Well ya, every one wants to make money.

You'll see his true character here and there, especially on other channels.

You guys obvious haven't price the axles under that thing.

I dont know much about them, im assuming he used these. So, 3k for a pair really doesnt seem all that bad, esp considering what people sink into D60 fronts.

There is a channel where the guy is in southeastern ohio and he reposses rented sheds. But, he does it with grace and maturity and is evenhanded even is super sketchy situations with pissed off hillbillies. The clever tools of the trade (but still relatively simple tools) and his demeanor WITH the cast of characters who are getting their sheds yanked also provide that 'happy ending' 'nice guy' 'get along' vibe.

It is a really good channel too. (enjoyable to me)
Thanks for the link! :flipoff2:

That doesnt conflict at all with what Gladman said. Of course he's doing it to make money. :confused:

Nothing. But don't give me the Andy Griffith line when the reality is that it's all very contrived. Granted, it is entertaining and I like watching most of it, but I'm reminded of the whole "canned laughter" thing in sitcoms when they say shit that's not even remotely funny.
I don't wanna mess up your cosmology, but Andy Griffith show was completely fiction. Andy Griffith the person was not like the sheriff at all.

The big add to my life was taking things out I don't dig, I think you don't matt and his thing, I say, let'er go.

I don't wanna mess up your cosmology, but Andy Griffith show was completely fiction. Andy Griffith the person was not like the sheriff at all.

The big add to my life was taking things out I don't dig, I think you don't matt and his thing, I say, let'er go.

To me it seemed your post was saying Matt was just one of "us guys" doing what he does, being a good all around guy and films it for our entertainment. Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like you were sold on the idea that he is wholesome or something. I don't think he's a bad guy, and I do enjoy most of his videos, but I think I see his channel for what it is. To me it's about 40% fact and 60% fiction, again, that is fine, but I took your post to mean that you thought he was a regular guy who just happens to film his stuff for YouTube and not a business that is put together and engineered to get views for his income. Again, entertaining, but it's a product that I consume knowing what it is.

I watched the shed guy. Mostly amazed how he can move a shed with ease through shit that I'm thinking... ain't no frigging way!

I looked into moving my 16x20 shed when I sold my house. The couple tow outfits that I had come to look at it made it seem like they'd need the whole fleet included the 7000 ton rotator, Chinook helicopter, Air Force 1, Heavy Haul Australia and Jamie Davis to get it done.

In the end, it stayed there. Sucks in a way, my Dad and I built it and it was solid. PT 2x8 12" OC and 3/4" PT floor, 2x6 trusses, etc. Probably 30-35k to build now.

To me it seemed your post was saying Matt was just one of "us guys" doing what he does, being a good all around guy and films it for our entertainment. Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like you were sold on the idea that he is wholesome or something. I don't think he's a bad guy, and I do enjoy most of his videos, but I think I see his channel for what it is. To me it's about 40% fact and 60% fiction, again, that is fine, but I took your post to mean that you thought he was a regular guy who just happens to film his stuff for YouTube and not a business that is put together and engineered to get views for his income. Again, entertaining, but it's a product that I consume knowing what it is.
oh, we totally agree. I like Matt, I think we'd get along fine and I think he likes being outdoors and making stuff etc... but I don't think he is like this perfect dude. I think the characters he has created create the image we all wish was so.

I really like his son Rudy, the video Rudy did of surprising his brother was great. It reminded me of my brothers and sisters and friends... good stuff.

You guys obvious haven't price the axles under that thing.
Obviously he has spent a lot of money on building this new rig, but with the link above for $3k for a pair, that would be feasible for most people.
People can also see how he built up to it and they can see how his rigs have been within reach of "normal people"

I think it's all a sham, just another show put on for our entertainment and his profit. Nothing wrong with that, but I seriously doubt he isn't in it for the money and has a carefully calculated image that he maintains to keep his reputation and views. He's not as rabid about it as Dave Sparks, but it's the same deal.
Sham? IMO it's choosing to show recoveries and video that match the tone of his channel, no different than any other show on TV or YouTube, just they choose to not show as much conflict as others do and make money with "feel good Mr. Nice Guy" themed content.

Does that carry over to their personal lives?

Possibly, I would guess yes for some, no for others, but I don't know any of them personally, or know anyone who does, so I can't say yes or no.

As for the bullshit winches, I'd be willing to bet it's just a sponsorship deal or freebie to get them on his channel.
No different than any other show with sponsors.

Aaron Z

Who cares, don't like Pepsi don't drink it?

I have met and talked with Matt. First he does not charge for recoveries, except for maybe the sxs’s, which, they are trail roaches, and I am not worried about them. He freely admits it is a business that allows him to do stuff that would not otherwise be financially feasible. He is very much a realist. From what I saw, they are all very real people, and no one is paying a roll other than themselves.

$3k for axles...

This forum reminds me y'all are some of the poorest mutha fuckers I've ever been around, you know who you are.

Any guesses what sort of cash it takes to run a profitable small business these days that provides for all those employees?

A new wrecker is how much $?

Last edited:
$3k for axles...

This forum as some of the poorest mutha fuckers I've ever been around, you know who you are.

Any guesses what sort of cash it takes to run a profitable small business these days that provides for all those employees?

A new wrecker is how much $?
a new wrecker is probably a quarter of a mil for a highway one, and i'd image 3-400k for an off -highway one would be pretty reasonable.

am I way off these days?

a new wrecker is probably a quarter of a mil for a highway one, and i'd image 3-400k for an off -highway one would be pretty reasonable.

am I way off these days?
I wouldn't doubt it.

The outfit I worked for last winter bought 3 or 4 new dump trucks. I forget what model Freighliners. Nice trucks, but more along the work truck line vs an all chromed out Peter or KW. Boss said they were 6 figures each.

I was plenty fine in the "old" 96 KW T800... I didn't want to be the guy even losing a mudflap on a 6 figure truck. Plus no DEF and no regens. 3406, loud jake and an 18th. I'm good, even in a cramped KW cab.

I wouldn't doubt it.

The outfit I worked for last winter bought 3 or 4 new dump trucks. I forget what model Freighliners. Nice trucks, but more along the work truck line vs an all chromed out Peter or KW. Boss said they were 6 figures each.

I was plenty fine in the "old" 96 KW T800... I didn't want to be the guy even losing a mudflap on a 6 figure truck. Plus no DEF and no regens. 3406, loud jake and an 18th. I'm good, even in a cramped KW cab.
New fully set up dump trucks are around $240,000 each now.

am I way off these days?
I think those are perfectly acceptable numbers, I'd bet a big ass rotator pushes $1 mil +

Top Back Refresh