What's new

Matt's Off Road Recovery.

billdacat

No road...no problem.
Member Number
Loc
Utah or bust!
This is a little surprising bit of news this morning. I hope he clears this shit up...:eek:

Hurricane business owner faces felony charge for allegedly bilking AAA through fraudulent claims​

ST. GEORGE — A Hurricane business owner has been charged with defrauding an insurance company following more than a yearlong investigation by the Utah Department of Insurance Fraud Department.

e-fraud-investigations-2-by-Olivier-Le-Moal-scaled.jpg Stock image | Photo by Olivier Le Moal/iStock/Getty Images Plus, St. George News
The case involves 45-year-old Matthew David Wetzel, who has been charged with one second-degree felony count for filing a false or fraudulent insurance claim, according to the complaint filed by Assistant Attorney General Michael Scott with the Utah Attorney General’s Office.

I was starting to get the feeling some of those recoveries were almost staged. Or is there really that many stupid people in that area?
never underestimate the stupidity of mall crawling jeeps and idiots in a sxs. I know in Moab you can roll up with a CC and rent either vehicle and be on the trail in an hour. It's a double edged sword, so many new people get introduced to the sport but have no mentor to teach them any trail etiquette.

I have been wheeling for years in both Jeeps, Toyotas and now SXSs. there are idiots everywhere.. Places like Moab and Sand Hollow the concentration in one spot is just way higher!

I enjoy the recoverys, a little campy but fun, hope it turns out good for Matt. Crispens might contact the sxs rental guys for a engine.

I enjoy the recoveries as well and I'll admit that I'm hooked (get it?) on the show so I certainly hope Matt gets it straightened out. I can't imagine him having a dishonest bone in his body. Besides, he's making huge amounts of money off his channel, why would he defraud an insurance company.

I enjoy the recoveries as well and I'll admit that I'm hooked (get it?) on the show so I certainly hope Matt gets it straightened out. I can't imagine him having a dishonest bone in his body. Besides, he's making huge amounts of money off his channel, why would he defraud an insurance company.
I think his channel has only gotten popular recently. This may have happened before his utube fame.

never underestimate the stupidity of mall crawling jeeps and idiots in a sxs. I know in Moab you can roll up with a CC and rent either vehicle and be on the trail in an hour. It's a double edged sword, so many new people get introduced to the sport but have no mentor to teach them any trail etiquette.

I have been wheeling for years in both Jeeps, Toyotas and now SXSs. there are idiots everywhere.. Places like Moab and Sand Hollow the concentration in one spot is just way higher!
Then add on some desire for “exposure” or “meeting the famous”. I’ve heard numerous people claiming to plan on getting stuck so they can call and get on YouTube. :lmao:

Just read the article and is sounds like he admitted what he did was wrong. I guess one of the fraud charges is on his channel. AAA supposedly doesn't pay for offroad recoveries and the video is of him retrieving a sxs

I was starting to get the feeling some of those recoveries were almost staged. Or is there really that many stupid people in that area?
Your average Jeep/SxS owner is bordering on a room temperature I.Q. 85% of them should have caught a coat hanger in the top of the head during the first trimester.

Your average Jeep/SxS owner is bordering on a room temperature I.Q. 85% of them should have caught a coat hanger in the top of the head during the first trimester.
Well, then there's that. :laughing:

Sounds like he was trying to help a couple customers out by having them sign up for AAA, or using their AAA to take care of the bill. Probably had good intentions, but when you've got that much publicity you gotta watch every step i guess.

Sounds like he was trying to help a couple customers out by having them sign up for AAA, or using their AAA to take care of the bill. Probably had good intentions, but when you've got that much publicity you gotta watch every step i guess.
Better to stay in the background

Using 2-3 rigs daisy chained together where a winch line would have made much more sense and using a tow-truck to drag a JK up over obstacles which caused the boom to cave in the hood of the Jeep just to name a couple.
Early on he said he didn't like winches, of course he has added one since.
They had to use a boom because the front end was locked up, other than bringing out a new front end how else would you have suggested they move it?

Using 2-3 rigs daisy chained together where a winch line would have made much more sense and using a tow-truck to drag a JK up over obstacles which caused the boom to cave in the hood of the Jeep just to name a couple.
Oh yeah, we can’t forget him justifying using a trailer ball as a perfectly good attachment point for connecting recovery straps.

I enjoy the videos but the way they do shit seems pretty honky. If I'm stuck and call a tow company you better send a tow truck and not some clown in a clapped out XJ with a kinetic tow strap.
The recoveries Rory is doing with trailmater are better recoveries. The Elephant Hill one is pretty impressive

They had to use a boom because the front end was locked up, other than bringing out a new front end how else would you have suggested they move it?
Ok maybe I missed the part about the front end being locked up but as I watched the video as soon as they approached that climb I thought “don’t they know the boom is going to contact that hood?”

That is what I am thinking. I have called AAA a couple of times and Winder towing was dispatch. Last tow (two weeks ago); driver was adamant about my shit-box being on pavement. I had to limp my shit-box 50 yards from the staging area before he would pick it up. He informed me that AAA will not cover any tow that is not on pavement. i.e. dirt roads:homer:

That’s what I was thinking also. I couldn’t see how else to do it

I enjoy watching them recover stuff, but they do stuff I was told to never do. Like hooking a strap to a trailer ball or pulling from suspension A arms and such.

That is what I am thinking. I have called AAA a couple of times and Winder towing was dispatch. Last tow (two weeks ago); driver was adamant about my shit-box being on pavement. I had to limp my shit-box 50 yards from the staging area before he would pick it up. He informed me that AAA will not cover any tow that is not on pavement. i.e. dirt roads:homer:

Yep I've drug rolled over and wadded up shit to the road plenty of times.

SOP for when you're using the AAA chase truck

Top Back Refresh