What's new

Matt's Off Road Recovery.

I've got a brother that's Mormon, over all its a non-issue. but he fits the stereotype from the outside looking in. Found the Church, met a girl, got married in the temple non Mormons were not allowed to attend, wears sacred garments, coffee is out, but soda and sweets are a non issue that I can tell,

Tithing is a thing IDK 10%, baptisms non members are not allowed to,
Actually, Non members are allowed, and even invited to baptisms.
as a family I think that's probably the biggest issue , Daughters weddings non members are not allowed to.
Mormons weddings are in the temple, and you need to ve a worthy member to go in. My brother could not attend his daughters wedding, because he no longer keeps the commandments, like tithing, chastity, etc.
I don't go to a church for myself so not having to go for him works for me, but it's always an uncomfortable situation with the family.

There are a bunch of private things that non members are excluded from. Thus the comparison to cults and scientology. And the accusation that Joseph Smith was an epileptic and his seizures were when he claimed to see the religious communications.

My observation was he was going to have kids till he had a boy, he has three daughters, then a boy. and has stopped having kids.
General mormondom seems to stop when they have four kids. Some do go on longer,
And he did move to Utah near salt lake. the mother land. probably more I'm missing.

I have another brother that's Catholic, I would say the Catholic's are more welcoming and inviting into their church and religion.
Actually, except for Temple Rites, non members are always welcome.

Actually, Non members are allowed, and even invited to baptisms.

Mormons weddings are in the temple, and you need to ve a worthy member to go in. My brother could not attend his daughters wedding, because he no longer keeps the commandments, like tithing, chastity, etc.

General mormondom seems to stop when they have four kids. Some do go on longer,

Actually, except for Temple Rites, non members are always welcome.

There is a specific thread for this ……

I actually liked that episode addressing all the comments about the wrecker. Clearly Matt isn't an irate wheeler or he might have talked about how his frame won't crack and leak air.
I guess now I gotta keep watching after the nugget to see if the air system suffers catastrophic failure. Cool ideas aren't always easy to implement long term.

I actually liked that episode addressing all the comments about the wrecker. Clearly Matt isn't an irate wheeler or he might have talked about how his frame won't crack and leak air.
I guess now I gotta keep watching after the nugget to see if the air system suffers catastrophic failure. Cool ideas aren't always easy to implement long term.
It won't be catastrophic. It'll just be leaky and he'll toss a tank elsewhere and pretend like it never happened.

Speaking of the Nugget, Fab rats had it on with Matt and Robbie. That thing is bling AF, total overkill there. I didn't follow it when it left the Rats channel but I didn't really expect that.

Robby used it to showcase his skills, and he definitely has some serious skills.

All that work for a 1950s style Holmes boom? I’m now convinced this guy isn’t a serious tow guy and it’s all for YouTube and insurance scams

All that work for a 1950s style Holmes boom? I’m now convinced this guy isn’t a serious tow guy and it’s all for YouTube and insurance scams
What (and please be specific) would you use instead?

At first, some of the really obvious "shocking" video titles were funny. Now it's getting really, really fucking old. Same with the stupid faces on the thumbnail.

Did I miss it, or did they not put a beadlock insert in?

You sound like my damn kid! You're absolutely right because anything that's old can't possibly be useful in modern time right?
It’s antiquated and way more time consuming. Looks like it’s single line which is a mistake. If you’ve done recoveries before off a wrecker you just want to pull levers to change angles, not move chain anchors and all that jazz. All of which could be done off a modern twin line boom.
What (and please be specific) would you use instead?

At first, some of the really obvious "shocking" video titles were funny. Now it's getting really, really fucking old. Same with the stupid faces on the thumbnail.
If buying new any jerrdan HPL boom. 8 and 12 ton capacity. He won’t need the wheel lift obviously but he could benefit from one. They’re nice to run a line down from boom to wheel lift then out to vehicle during a pull. If used I’d still stay jerrdan because that’s my preference. Whatever I’d put there it’d be twin line though

You mean the thing Rory uses in Moab everyday of the week to recover people? lmao
Again it’s doing things the hard way, we’ve already had this debate about Matt and he does weird shit that isn’t industry standard

I think the A-arm style boom is probably better for what he intends to do with it. A single boom would need to be heavy built and require more reinforcement to handle the side loads, and would probably end up being more weight. A hydraulic lifting boom would be nice, but again, weight. A wheel lift would sort of kill a lot of ground and departure clearance so an old style A-arm with a sling is probably the best way to go. I would like to see something better for a winch, and hydraulic would be the best answer. I think he is really limiting the capability of this truck by using a little electric winch with no room for a real length of line. This truck could probably do the recovery he is passing on to HeavyD if it had some outriggers and a real winch.

Again it’s doing things the hard way, we’ve already had this debate about Matt and he does weird shit that isn’t industry standard
What's the industry standard for deep off road recovery wreckers? Isn't no one bringing their fancy shit in the woods around here to recover people. Most of the guys doing this have simple stuff that the sand and dirt isn't going to affect.

It’s antiquated and way more time consuming. Looks like it’s single line which is a mistake. If you’ve done recoveries before off a wrecker you just want to pull levers to change angles, not move chain anchors and all that jazz. All of which could be done off a modern twin line boom.

If buying new any jerrdan HPL boom. 8 and 12 ton capacity. He won’t need the wheel lift obviously but he could benefit from one. They’re nice to run a line down from boom to wheel lift then out to vehicle during a pull. If used I’d still stay jerrdan because that’s my preference. Whatever I’d put there it’d be twin line though
I agree twin line would be cool, but having one line up on the boom, and one from the bumper seems to work well. Not sure how handy two lines off the boom would be.

So, you're saying the HPL benefit is that it's up/down hydraulic and also telescopes? Big cost/complexity/reliability hit compared to the simple solution.

I can understand wanting simple and bulletproof. I've done the same thing on my ice shack tilt trailer. I could have used hydraulics or linear actuator or some other whizz-bang shit, but I wanted something that would work after being blasted by our winter road salt for years. Because of that I went with a simple boat winch. It's still working ten years later to tilt my trailer.

I think the A-arm style boom is probably better for what he intends to do with it. A single boom would need to be heavy built and require more reinforcement to handle the side loads, and would probably end up being more weight. A hydraulic lifting boom would be nice, but again, weight. A wheel lift would sort of kill a lot of ground and departure clearance so an old style A-arm with a sling is probably the best way to go. I would like to see something better for a winch, and hydraulic would be the best answer. I think he is really limiting the capability of this truck by using a little electric winch with no room for a real length of line. This truck could probably do the recovery he is passing on to HeavyD if it had some outriggers and a real winch.
I agree twin line would be cool, but having one line up on the boom, and one from the bumper seems to work well. Not sure how handy two lines off the boom would be.

So, you're saying the HPL benefit is that it's up/down hydraulic and also telescopes? Big cost/complexity/reliability hit compared to the simple solution.

I can understand wanting simple and bulletproof. I've done the same thing on my ice shack tilt trailer. I could have used hydraulics or linear actuator or some other whizz-bang shit, but I wanted something that would work after being blasted by our winter road salt for years. Because of that I went with a simple boat winch. It's still working ten years later to tilt my trailer.
Yes. You can change angles fast and on the fly, like say as the vehicle starts to roll back over onto wheels or breaks over what it’s stuck on. One lever then continue your pull. I like to finesse things not use brute force, customers have appreciated me doing so in the past

I think some of my gripe is his titles “biggest tow truck ever” etc

What's the industry standard for deep off road recovery wreckers? Isn't no one bringing their fancy shit in the woods around here to recover people. Most of the guys doing this have simple stuff that the sand and dirt isn't going to affect.
Most companies I’ve worked with skip a truck and go straight to a skid steer with winch setup. Easier to get to in the northeast.
B6FE7906-6CEB-46D3-BB95-FC81684036EB.jpeg

But for truck, I’m sure you’ve seen BSF recovery or hill auto body in Washington. They both have great channels with no click bait. They run exactly what I’m taking about plus BSF runs a sling. Most off-road haul outs benefit from a sling and it’s much lighter than a wheel lift. With super singles BSF would have an ideal truck. We used to have a 550 set up that way and would trailer it to the trail head.

WTF DUDE, you do understand this is only to get the vehicle out to the road then they can put it on a trailer if need be. For work like you are talking about he has a rollback truck.
I would really like to see any of your builds. Instead of Wizzle I think your name should be Whiney :flipoff2:

Most companies I’ve worked with skip a truck and go straight to a skid steer with winch setup. Easier to get to in the northeast.
B6FE7906-6CEB-46D3-BB95-FC81684036EB.jpeg

But for truck, I’m sure you’ve seen BSF recovery or hill auto body in Washington. They both have great channels with no click bait. They run exactly what I’m taking about plus BSF runs a sling. Most off-road haul outs benefit from a sling and it’s much lighter than a wheel lift. With super singles BSF would have an ideal truck. We used to have a 550 set up that way and would trailer it to the trail head.
I don't even watch Matt's, I watch Rory cause it's good background noise.

Any of the rocky woods trails here in the NE your not getting that skiddy too let alone recovering from!🤣🤣🤣

Something else everyone who says he should be using a hydraulic winch immagine being back in the middle of nowhere and blow a hydraulic line. Now you are without a winch and have an oil spill to clean up!

As for the job he turned down let Sparks do it he'll tear up several thousands of dollars worth of equipment to everyones satisfaction

I don't like the click bait titles either but youtube has convinced people they have to use them to get people to watch

I don't like the click bait titles either but youtube has convinced people they have to use them to get people to watch

They get attention that's it. There was recently a big thing locally about a man made trail locally being the hardest on the east coast. It's not even the hardest in that park, county or state BUT it got a lot of people to watch it. It's just hype.

Top Back Refresh