What's new

Is there a "hidden jem" place to live left in America?

beware, that any gem in its current form isn't guaranteed to stay that way, so just buy enough land to ensure the neighbors dont bother/ affect you.

This is probably the best comment in the thread, and it's really all you can do.

We did the same thing when we moved from town to the country. I grew up in the country, but the wife always lived in town, so I dealt with it for 5 years. After 5 years I couldn't take it anymore. The trashy neighbors behind us were talking shit to the neighbors beside us, because he had a crush on her, and we were friends so naturally spoke more than any other neighbors. I told the wife, we either move to where we have NO neighbors, or I'm going to go over there and beat the fuck out of the trashy neighbor so he stops running his mouth. We had no other issues with any neighbors, but one bad neighbor can make life HELL.

So, we specifically looked for homes that sat roughly 600' or more off the road, and came with more than 10 acres. We found our little slice of heaven on 20 acres and 600' off the road. We have one neighbor we can see in the winter. The other neighbor behind me I've spoke to twice in passing as he owns 60 acres. There's 350 acres vacant above us that has been stripped and timbered, and will most likely never leave the family.

I was >||< THIS close to moving to Gillam for a job.

It's not somewhere you would ever want to put down roots, northern MB in general. Take it from me and Scott Cee and maybe one or two others on here who have worked there, the indians will kill you. There were a few threads detailing some of what goes on up there on the other place that you were probably absent for. Actually outside of one of the "towns" I am kinda doubtful you could even own any land up there anymore as it all belongs to the indians.

I made damn good money up there but I would never ever go back unless the money would make me a small fortune in this day and age.

It's not somewhere you would ever want to put down roots, northern MB in general. Take it from me and Scott Cee and maybe one or two others on here who have worked there, the indians will kill you. There were a few threads detailing some of what goes on up there on the other place that you were probably absent for. Actually outside of one of the "towns" I am kinda doubtful you could even own any land up there anymore as it all belongs to the indians.

I made damn good money up there but I would never ever go back unless the money would make me a small fortune in this day and age.

There was something about the place leasing or renting out a trailer jobber. But yea, no land I don't recall. Iunno, I was single, no major family, kind of just spinning my wheels here, and wanted change. Had my second phone interview two weeks after I bought my house (now rental) so I stayed where I was. I often think about where I'd be now if I drove the 25h+ there.

I grew up in New Jersey and that place sucked.

Moved to West Virginia and like it here.

If you work from home make sure you can get internet at your house. Only thing we could get was satellite internet and that sucks balls.

Last edited:
No there isn't a hidden gem and if there were only an unamerican asshole would a) post about it on the public internet and b) do so in direct response to a commiefornian asking the question.

You don't get it. Everybody is being nice.

Fuck. Off.

Don't move. Sit your ass down where it belongs, where you made your bed.

You 2 should hang out

So its better? Which means its the right choice? Sounds like the OP is in a rural area and still unable to make it. In NY you can live in a rural area and still make good money.

Where did I say I'm unable to make it? Yes I'm rural, we were set to actually buy something decent and then the fire happened. Not only did it knock us on our ass, but it made real estate skyrocket. People were offering $500k cash on houses liked for $425k that were really worth $350k. It's calmed down a little, and we could probably afford something OK, but just really don't want to stay anymore.

This is probably the best comment in the thread, and it's really all you can do.

We did the same thing when we moved from town to the country. I grew up in the country, but the wife always lived in town, so I dealt with it for 5 years. After 5 years I couldn't take it anymore. The trashy neighbors behind us were talking shit to the neighbors beside us, because he had a crush on her, and we were friends so naturally spoke more than any other neighbors. I told the wife, we either move to where we have NO neighbors, or I'm going to go over there and beat the fuck out of the trashy neighbor so he stops running his mouth. We had no other issues with any neighbors, but one bad neighbor can make life HELL.

So, we specifically looked for homes that sat roughly 600' or more off the road, and came with more than 10 acres. We found our little slice of heaven on 20 acres and 600' off the road. We have one neighbor we can see in the winter. The other neighbor behind me I've spoke to twice in passing as he owns 60 acres. There's 350 acres vacant above us that has been stripped and timbered, and will most likely never leave the family.

Yes, i get that. I think our area was the same way long ago. Many people moved here from the bay area or so cal because of it. They could sell their 3/2 for $300k and come buy the same thing here, with more yard, tall trees and better weather for $100k.

The guys who say "in 10 years xxxx will be just like CA" always crack me up. For one, no it won't, it would take longer than that, and 2, what will ca be like in that same time frame?

You 2 should hang out

Where did I say I'm unable to make it? Yes I'm rural, we were set to actually buy something decent and then the fire happened. Not only did it knock us on our ass, but it made real estate skyrocket. People were offering $500k cash on houses liked for $425k that were really worth $350k. It's calmed down a little, and we could probably afford something OK, but just really don't want to stay anymore.

Didn't mean it like that. I'm sure your doing just fine, I'm just saying you can't get what you want where your at so moving elsewhere you might be able to make out better.

Didn't mean it like that. I'm sure your doing just fine, I'm just saying you can't get what you want where your at so moving elsewhere you might be able to make out better.

Fair statement.

I can make enough to buy a place I'd be happy with, but it would require me working out of a hotel for 6-9 months a year. I did it for a while, but not only do you not make as much since you end up spending so much on food or whatever, it just feels like a waste. That and I didn't like being away from family. 3 young kids change every time you're gone for a week.

The last time I spent the night in a hotel for work was the day my house burned. Had I been 30 mins to an hour away, I probably would have been able to save quite a bit of stuff. That and being 6 hours from your wife and kids while they evacuate turned my stomach.

So its better? Which means its the right choice? Sounds like the OP is in a rural area and still unable to make it. In NY you can live in a rural area and still make good money.

I see OP already addressed the fact that he never said he wasn't making it.

If you read what I quoted of you, my statement still stands "It is great... except for the gun laws and politics". Once you get out of the metros and very nearby suburbs, the cost of living isn't as bad as the Calif haters would make you believe. Not the $300 in mid west areas... but my first house had mortgage at $1000 (includes insurance) I didn't need a six figure job to make ends meet.

Wtf good does increased property value do unless you own multiple pieces of property and have significant equity in them?

If you own one piece of property and it goes way up in "value" because of urban growth, that just means anything else you buy in that area is gonna be just as expensive.

If I lived on 100ac that I planned on never selling and living there forever, then I wouldn't give a shit if it was worth $1000 or $1,000, 000.

​​​​​

I am with you 100% More value on your home means more property taxes and higher insurance costs. I don't use my house as a bank to buy toys every time the market goes up. The increased value of your house means shit if everything else in the area is higher. It only does you any good if you are willing to move to a different location that is cheaper. Those long moves are not cheap either.

Buy an RV to full time in and chase 70 degree weather, make your home base the place that suits you best.

Coronado ca was the perfect place for year around weather but 99% can't afford to live there.

Buy an RV to full time in and chase 70 degree weather, make your home base the place that suits you best.

Coronado ca was the perfect place for year around weather but 99% can't afford to live there.

We have 3 boys, a 2 year, 3 year old, 8 year old, and 3 large dogs. :flipoff2:

Maybe a 5th wheel so they can all ride back there while mom and I sit in the cab :laughing:

I cannot recommend TN enough.

An amazing state to live in.

The rural areas are pennies cheap and there is good money to be made in the cities.

My house cost me $125 a year in property tax, no water, no sewer charges.

You can make an unlimited amount of money in the City which I am just 30 mins away from.

I have land, i am on a large creek, I have no neighbors, I paid 5 figures for my house.

Freedom is everything here and taxes are low.

Whats the job market like in the Knoxville area right now? Specifically mech engineering with a heavy industry mfg background. I see listings from time to time that I could apply for but local knowledge of the market would be nice to hear.

We visited Knoxville on a whim last summer and fell in love with the area. It is on my very short list for our CA exit plan in the next year. I spent a lot of time at a plant in northwest GA so I know roughly how bad the humidity and winters can get. I'd trade that for overcrowded and traffic any day.

Whats the job market like in the Knoxville area right now? Specifically mech engineering with a heavy industry mfg background. I see listings from time to time that I could apply for but local knowledge of the market would be nice to hear.

We visited Knoxville on a whim last summer and fell in love with the area. It is on my very short list for our CA exit plan in the next year. I spent a lot of time at a plant in northwest GA so I know roughly how bad the humidity and winters can get. I'd trade that for overcrowded and traffic any day.

That is not an area I know a bunch about.

I do know that there are many tech / manufacturing businesses in the area.

Maryville has many large factories such as Denso / Rubbermaid / Clayton Homes.

Oak Ridge is a tech area with quite a few companies there.

Housing is booming in Knoxville but still tons of older homes needing rehab for really low prices, like $20k

There is a hidden gem "place to live" left... quite a few actually. My little town is getting swamped this summer.

Sucks, but kinda sweet at the same time. Getting crowded, but my home price is seemingly soaring. :flipoff2:

AZ is too fucking crowded to have hidden gems left. There's not enough towns and highways in this state. Traffic sucks statewide with people venturing out of the metro area to everywhere in the state. It's changed a lot in the 27 years I've been here.

Utah is my choice. Deserts, Mountains and a lot less people in southern UT than in AZ. It sucks to hear the prices going through the roof there, but that's what you get with unlimited recreation, good weather and huge variety of landscapes. I am originally from Wyoming and have lived in AZ for 27 years. I absolutely love Wyoming but I'm not sure I want to deal with the winters there again....they're just plain long. Snowbirding is something I think we'll do after retirement, health and $$ permitting.

Fuck that place, it's almost as bad as old Mexico. Nothing but tumbleweeds and savages looking for scalps. Stay away!

Strangely I've never been there, close, but never been. Looks beautiful, less heat than AZ, etc. I know wages are low, but in 5 years that won't matter to me.

Santa Fe, ABQ, or Las Cruces?

AZ is too fucking crowded to have hidden gems left. There's not enough towns and highways in this state. Traffic sucks statewide with people venturing out of the metro area to everywhere in the state. It's changed a lot in the 27 years I've been here.

VERY True.... it's changed in the 20 I have been here also.

Strangely I've never been there, close, but never been. Looks beautiful, less heat than AZ, etc. I know wages are low, but in 5 years that won't matter to me.

Santa Fe, ABQ, or Las Cruces?

ABQ sucks, Santa Fe is great on the outskirts... Las Cruces was NOT to my liking. To close to El Paso/ Juarez... lots of fawked up going ons there. Taos is pretty awesome!

AZ and NM. Isn't it, like, 125º there? :barf:

Louisiana is pretty awesome! I swear one day I will own land in southern Louisiana! Every time we go to areas like Basile to visit family I feel like I'm in USA from 20 years ago! I love it. Everyone I talked to has to drive an hour to work, or they make money off of their land, but it's awesome!

The down side.... It's one of the most humid places in the world (IMO). And I think you have to be willing to put down some miles to find a job.

Top Back Refresh