What's new

Is there a "hidden jem" place to live left in America?

In the south, the humidity works both ways

Wifes friend/boss and her family flew in for a visit last February. They're from Colorado Springs area, never been east of the rockies. It was 40's when they stepped off the plane and they were freezing.

"We checked the temps for the week and thought 40 degrees meant sun and 9% humidity. We've got to go buy some jackets. Why does the air feel so heavy? Is it always like this?" :laughing:

We kinda get that in the winter.

My buddy who moved to Bozeman Mt came back a while and went to the mountains. He was complaining about being cold, it was probably around 30* so everyone was like :confused: doesn't it get like - 30* in Bozeman? "ya, but it's also like 0% humidity"

33* with coastal fog is pretty brutal also. It just goes right through your clothes.

We kinda get that in the winter.

My buddy who moved to Bozeman Mt came back a while and went to the mountains. He was complaining about being cold, it was probably around 30* so everyone was like :confused: doesn't it get like - 30* in Bozeman? "ya, but it's also like 0% humidity"

33* with coastal fog is pretty brutal also. It just goes right through your clothes.

Yea, a good part of the south is Seattle in the winter. Just above freezing to 40's with drizzling rain 6 days a week. You'll get one day of sun and 60's and be happy as fuck. Then 6 more days of Kurt Cobain.

Yes, the east is mainly all private property, and depending on the state, no vehicles allowed off the road in state or national forests.

Windrock looks pretty gnarly and fun. I've never been there, but watch plenty of videos. Did not know Harlan had wheeling, but I would like to go there just for the history and culture.

Oh man you need to hit up harlan! It's probably the closest to west coast BLM wheeling in the area. You can go out all day and not hit the same trail, the place is HUGE, almos 2000 acres! I have not been to windrock yet, but I was looking at the trail maps and holy fuck that place is big!!

And fuck humidity!

Wheeling back East is going to be basically in parks as there is no BLM land, it has got its pros and cons. You tend to make trail friends and see them often and you can wheel light if you have a tow rig to keep spare parts and big tools. If something breaks you are relatively close to the parking lot. Its not nearly as scenic though. South East Tennessee would be a relative cheap place to live and be near Windrock or Harlen, KY for some of the best wheeling places in the South that are not going to full of stock JL owners taking their jeep out for the first time.

AOP is down there as well, which is kind of small hut a ton of obstacles packed into a small space. An added bonus is you may get to see rockota dicking around with his ARB and chasing power draws on his bro taco in the parking lot all weekend!:flipoff2:

Yea, a good part of the south is Seattle in the winter. Just above freezing to 40's with drizzling rain 6 days a week. You'll get one day of sun and 60's and be happy as fuck. Then 6 more days of Kurt Cobain.

I have said repeatedly that I would rather -10 and snow than 40 and rain.
fuck cold rain.

fuck cold rain.

We usually get snow right at 32*, so it's pretty common for it to warm up a few degrees and turn to sleet. Sleet will chill you too the bone since it sticky to you.

Rain on top of a few feet of snow is a pretty good time too :laughing:

We usually get snow right at 32*, so it's pretty common for it to warm up a few degrees and turn to sleet. Sleet will chill you too the bone since it sticky to you.

Rain on top of a few feet of snow is a pretty good time too :laughing:

thankfully we only see sleet in the late fall and early spring.

after the first week of december we rarely broach above freezing.

but occasionally we get a freak warm day and rain that falls on below freexing surfaces, and that's fun. a 1/2" of ice on everything.

The wife and I spent over a year looking at different states prior to fleeing Ca. and ended up in the eastern Michigan U.P. The main regret is not having any mountains, we basically live in a cedar swamp. I'll grow old and die here.

fuck cold rain.

100% this! I'll take 3 ft of snow over 1" of ice or 33 and rain. I dont have to work outside anymore so I really dont care overall though.

Ya, ya, ya, NY state sucks....blah, blah, blah.

we bought our home in the Catskills on 3/4 acres with a barn for half the price of a new F150.

Nearly debt free, (just bought a 17 Civic for $13k 🤨)just dont read the political news 😂🤣😂🤣

Last edited:
Yota, Jefferson state will be here before you know it.

Also another positive aspect of some states north of us is more personal freedoms than the shithole we currently live in / on.

Or there is always this, unsure how the wheeling is though.
https://youtu.be/PxikoeUFqPY

Jefferson state ? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
If you actually believe it's remotely possible I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you. :lmao:

fuck cold rain.

Same here. I spent 3 years in the San Francisco bay area while in the Navy and I hated the weather there. Low 40's and rain sux ass. :barf:

So what's the deal with all the $20-60k houses over there? Seems like it would be too easy to buy a place for 30k, put 10k into it, then sell it for $80k? Or keep it as a rental.

But if it was that easy, I guess there wouldn't be dozens of them available. :laughing:

Like seemingly every other person living in CA, we really liked Northern ID. We visited 7 years ago, and just loved it. Kinda similar to where we live now, but more green and cheaper land. We decided against making the move because we didn't want to leave family behind. Fast forward to the present and we have to leave this state. The fact that they're not only not prosecuting anyone, but straight up releasing felons, is already apparent when watching near by crime.

Looking at North ID, the property prices are pretty much the same as where we are, but the wages are less than half. It's seeming like an unrealistic move.

For the heck of it, I have been looking at TN, AL, AR, MO, ect. God dang is stuff cheap out there. I've never been east of San Antonio and even then, it was only a brief trip. I always hear about how bad the humidity is. I'm not a fan of the heat, but I have dealt with working in ~110* many times. Yet people say 110* dry ain't got shit on 90* in the south. Is it as bad as everyone says? :laughing:

I also like mountains, snow, ect. Not sure what part of that area is actual mountains. I'm not expecting any real snow anywhere in the south.

Also, "xx is full" ya I get it, no one wants a CA guy moving to their state. Don't worry, we're just looking for a place where the government will help us out and people from all over the world have the same rights as us :flipoff2:

Idaho is awesome. But don't bring bad attitude with you which it seems like you get that. Prices are ridic now though. We wanted to move further out and could sell our property to some Californian for a shit ton but then we'd be stuck with no place and everything too expensive. People in Idaho generally mind their own business and don't like nosy neighbors. It truly is a live and let live place. We moved here from very northern NoCal 15 years ago and the place has changed drastically. Lots of people deciding to relocate out of CA, WA, and OR. Things don't move fast here and you'll have to understand that we don't have every gadget at Lowes or HD in a big city. If we don't decide to sell then a recreational property is probably the route we will go so we can get out for a month or two with the horses and dogs. Need shooting property with water.

Good luck in your quest.

We did look at TN but dang I can't stand humidity, giant bugs, or snakes.

Edit - We moved here from the State of Jefferson - :D Most don't move here for the wages because they suck.

Last edited:
I'm currently at my "ideal" location except for the fact it is in Calif:mad3: I'm outside Georgetown with plenty of land(6 acres), the terrain being rugged enough that neighbors are fairly spread out, get two to three 18" snow storms a year with accumulation of 3', and right next door to good wheeling(Rubicon) Some would argue the commute but I'll take the 1 hour to Folsom on backroads over sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.

I've debated moving out and the two spots that somewhat match my current setup are southern ID and around Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is somewhat off the table because of Calif mini-me😒 If it wasn't similar politics, I'd head out that way.

You couldn't give me a house in eastern Texas or other gulf locations. The humidity was insane... like take a shower and need another within 10 minutes. No problem with the hurricanes. Fawk the fire ants too.

We lived in Cool before we moved further north in NoCal. Loved it except for the nosy friggin neighbors across the road in ALT. And it is in CA. ;) And screw that drive every day to Auburn or Folsom.

We lived in Cool before we moved further north in NoCal. Loved it except for the nosy friggin neighbors across the road in ALT. And it is in CA. ;) And screw that drive every day to Auburn or Folsom.

The drive into Folsom for me is 1 hour on the nose from 10 miles outside of Georgetown. As I said, I'll take driving 40 miles of "backroad" driving over my buddies 1.5 hours for 40 miles of freeway driving in the SF Bay Area... on a good day:homer:

49/193 is hit and miss for going into Auburn or Placerville. Currently minor issues with road work.

I agree with the "except it is in Calif".

The drive into Folsom for me is 1 hour on the nose from 10 miles outside of Georgetown. As I said, I'll take driving 40 miles of "backroad" driving over my buddies 1.5 hours for 40 miles of freeway driving in the SF Bay Area... on a good day:homer:

49/193 is hit and miss for going into Auburn or Placerville. Currently minor issues with road work.

I agree with the "except it is in Calif".

Oh don't get me wrong we loved it and had 28 acres. But I was always tired from OT driving to or from work in Folsom, and hit a damn deer more than once because they decided to jump in front of me. Very pretty drive though. My sis drives from Elk Grove to Vacaville every day and I would take my drive to Folsom over that every time. 49 is so hard on brakes if you are always in a hurry.

I have to assume the rest of the year is more comfortable and not far in the opposite direction as in cold?

In the winter, East TN is dry brown sticks and grass. All of the leaves come off the kudzu and bushes, revealing trash and broken down buildings and machines everywhere. It's cold enough to be uncomfortable but not cold enough for snow sports. The bugs and humidity have abated, and you can easily heat your house with the abundant hardwoods around. There is no perceptible Spring as understood by northerners or PNW types. It just kind of goes from cold and miserable to hot and humid again. Winter is mostly mud season.

Sell the Coronado bridge you owning that or north island is a little more believable.

A guy can wish and hope ehhh..

It has a better chance than any of the other schemes.

Jefferson state ? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
If you actually believe it's remotely possible I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you. :lmao:

In the winter, East TN is dry brown sticks and grass. All of the leaves come off the kudzu and bushes, revealing trash and broken down buildings and machines everywhere. It's cold enough to be uncomfortable but not cold enough for snow sports. The bugs and humidity have abated, and you can easily heat your house with the abundant hardwoods around. There is no perceptible Spring as understood by northerners or PNW types. It just kind of goes from cold and miserable to hot and humid again. Winter is mostly mud season.

Fall in the Appalachian mountains is pretty sweet! Yea the weather can be all over the place, but the trees look awesome!!

Sell the Coronado bridge you owning that or north island is a little more believable.

A guy can wish and hope ehhh..

It has a better chance than any of the other schemes.

You're not wishing and hoping, you're fantasizing if you think it has a snowball's chance in hell. :laughing:

Ya, ya, ya, NY state sucks....blah, blah, blah.

we bought our home in the Catskills on 3/4 acres with a barn for half the price of a new F150.

Nearly debt free, (just bought a 17 Civic for $13k 🤨)just dont read the political news 😂🤣😂🤣

This. Just stay out of the major metropolitan areas and you'll be fine. Other than gun laws and politics NY is great. Awesome hunting and fishing, land can be had for decent prices. And wheeling is becoming more and more popular, so parks are opening up all over.

AOP is down there as well, which is kind of small hut a ton of obstacles packed into a small space. An added bonus is you may get to see rockota dicking around with his ARB and chasing power draws on his bro taco in the parking lot all weekend!:flipoff2:

I finally figured out what the power draw was... scangauge... both of mine were draining batteries... ya Jed then out and no issues.

and it was one bad crimp!!! One! :flipoff2:

Fall in the Appalachian mountains is pretty sweet! Yea the weather can be all over the place, but the trees look awesome!!

SOMETIMES. Last year the fall colors were terrible for the most part. All depends on temperature and the amount of rain we get.

All I can say is don't move to Pennsylvania, unless you're going to move the north central in the middle of nowhere. Western Pennsylvania SUCKS.

Top Back Refresh