What's new

Is there a "hidden jem" place to live left in America?

Idaho is awesome. But don't bring bad attitude with you which it seems like you get that. Prices are ridic now though. We wanted to move further out and could sell our property to some Californian for a shit ton but then we'd be stuck with no place and everything too expensive. People in Idaho generally mind their own business and don't like nosy neighbors. It truly is a live and let live place. We moved here from very northern NoCal 15 years ago and the place has changed drastically. Lots of people deciding to relocate out of CA, WA, and OR. Things don't move fast here and you'll have to understand that we don't have every gadget at Lowes or HD in a big city. If we don't decide to sell then a recreational property is probably the route we will go so we can get out for a month or two with the horses and dogs. Need shooting property with water.

Good luck in your quest.

We did look at TN but dang I can't stand humidity, giant bugs, or snakes.

Edit - We moved here from the State of Jefferson - :D Most don't move here for the wages because they suck.

I'm not looking to make $50/hr. In fact, I'd love to live where you don't need to make a bunch of money to live comfortably.

Its just real expensive right now, I'm not ready to give up on NID, but I can't the same mortgage as here with 1/3rd of the wages. Hopefully, everything will calm down soon.

Jackson County TN. Cheap land and waterfront lots available. Short drive to Cookeville for pretty much anything you need. Should be decent jobs in Cookeville.

This. Just stay out of the major metropolitan areas and you'll be fine. Other than gun laws and politics NY is great. Awesome hunting and fishing, land can be had for decent prices. And wheeling is becoming more and more popular, so parks are opening up all over.
You just described Calif. "Other than the gun laws and politics, Calif is great" Ski/surf dude:lmao:

Housing gets more reasonable the further you get away from metros... as does the local law enforcement. El Dorado County sheriff is real nice to deal with even with Covid:grinpimp:

I'm not looking to make $50/hr. In fact, I'd love to live where you don't need to make a bunch of money to live comfortably.

Its just real expensive right now, I'm not ready to give up on NID, but I can't the same mortgage as here with 1/3rd of the wages. Hopefully, everything will calm down soon.

Live close enough to commute to Spokane for work? Wages aren't as high as Seattle, but they're not that much less for union operators. Lots of DOT work going on in the next 10-15 in Spokane area, they're building an all new freeway for North south travel.

Live close enough to commute to Spokane for work? Wages aren't as high as Seattle, but they're not that much less for union operators. Lots of DOT work going on in the next 10-15 in Spokane area, they're building an all new freeway for North south travel.

That was the original idea.

Right now I'm $48.xx for "small" excavator. Last I asked, up there was ~$24.xx.

Not a big deal if real estate is ~1/2 the price. But it's now ~80-90% of here.

What is the scale for Operators there? I am in 3 and have not worked since mid October. We are around $34 for DOT work. I consider that crazy low. I did get an offer to work out in the boonies that was a 4 hour drive one way for $42 per hour to run a D6 at a solar farm.

What is the scale for Operators there? I am in 3 and have not worked since mid October. We are around $34 for DOT work. I consider that crazy low. I did get an offer to work out in the boonies that was a 4 hour drive one way for $42 per hour to run a D6 at a solar farm.

Dozer is like $46/hr over here.

After visiting the San Juan Mountains and Moab a couple of weeks ago, we started considering making a move. Just not sure I can handle the cold cold. :laughing: Good thread.

After visiting the San Juan Mountains and Moab a couple of weeks ago, we started considering making a move. Just not sure I can handle the cold cold. :laughing: Good thread.

Man, I would take that cold to shoot some of those beautiful western coyotes all primed up. :smokin:

302 is 30-32 over there depending on where you're at and what you're running. Crazy cause an hour to the west it back up to 40s. Work the summer season up in Alaska?

302 is 30-32 over there depending on where you're at and what you're running. Crazy cause an hour to the west it back up to 40s. Work the summer season up in Alaska?

I asked a year ago what finish blade hand was and it was $28/hr, where are you getting $30/hr for normal equipment?

Nah, may as well just work down her during the summer. Im trying to get away from working away from home.

beware, that any gem in its current form isn't guaranteed to stay that way, so just buy enough land to ensure the neighbors dont bother/ affect you.

my state is growing at an insane pace and rapidly turning blue over the last 10 yrs, and political climate barely resembles what it was a decade ago, and i'm afraid were just a few years behind tx/co. sounds like UT and ID are in similar status.

A few years back, I fled the city to outside the suburbs for a few acresand enormous shop, and the sprawl is catching up to this area with neighborhoods popping up all around us. and now I'm tempted to go find 50-100 ac somewhere else.

Last edited:
beware, that any gem in its current form isn't guaranteed to stay that way, so just buy enough land to ensure the neighbors dont bother/ affect you.

my state is growing at an insane pace and rapidly turning blue over the last 10 yrs, and political climate barely resembles what it was a decade ago, and i'm afraid were just a few years behind tx/co. sounds like UT and ID are in similar states.

A few years back, I fled the city to outside the suburbs for a few acres, and the sprawl is catching up to this area with neighborhoods popping up all around us. and now I'm tempted to go find 50-100 ac somewhere else.

As much as we all want to be that hillbilly left alone in the middle of nowhere, growth can be good. More jobs, higher real estate value, ect.

As much as we all want to be that hillbilly left alone in the middle of nowhere, growth can be good. More jobs, higher real estate value, ect.

yeah, the property value growth is great, but with that growth comes the neighbors, traffic, & liberal regulation you were trying to get away from in the first place...:rolleyes:

yeah, the property value growth is great, but with that growth comes the neighbors, traffic, & liberal regulation you were trying to get away from in the first place...:rolleyes:

Hopefully the liberal part doesn't come as quick, or ever! :flipoff2:

My point is, I can pick a town in the middle of nowhere, and property is cheap, but there is probably not much, if any work in the area. Gotta find a balance I guess. ​​​​​​

I dont give a shit about more jobs and higher real estate value/taxes. Growth sucks.

Wtf good does increased property value do unless you own multiple pieces of property and have significant equity in them?

If you own one piece of property and it goes way up in "value" because of urban growth, that just means anything else you buy in that area is gonna be just as expensive.

If I lived on 100ac that I planned on never selling and living there forever, then I wouldn't give a shit if it was worth $1000 or $1,000, 000.

​​​​​

Why is Media pushing the California to Idaho move?

E9arBfo.jpg

Wtf good does increased property value do unless you own multiple pieces of property and have significant equity in them?

If you own one piece of property and it goes way up in "value" because of urban growth, that just means anything else you buy in that area is gonna be just as expensive.

If I lived on 100ac that I planned on never selling and living there forever, then I wouldn't give a shit if it was worth $1000 or $1,000, 000.

​​​​​

If you bought it for 1000 and it became worth a million you might look and realize that slightly further in the sticks you could have 500 acres instead of your measly 100. For me I've decided that if I can ever walk away with 1 mil I'm selling and buying a million dollar fixer and starting over again.

No there isn't a hidden gem and if there were only an unamerican asshole would a) post about it on the public internet and b) do so in direct response to a commiefornian asking the question.

looks around, raises hand

No neighbors. In the woods. Lakes. Mountains. Ocean 1h away. Hunt from my back porch. Lake fishing 20m away. Tons of dirt roads to explore. Zero guns laws. Low crime. Not a single :mr-t: to worry about. We get all four seasons; negative temps in the winter and 100º in the summer. Property taxes are a little high, but no income or sales tax.

We done good.

Well unless you can hunt Massholes and New Yorkers from the side of the road I think your place is on borrowed time.

Well unless you can hunt Massholes and New Yorkers from the side of the road I think your place is on borrowed time.

I'm surrounded by a couple hundred acres of conservation land. :grinpimp:

But yea, we do get a lot of folks from MA. I live north enough that it hasn't impacted us too bad.

I'm surrounded by a couple hundred acres of conservation land. :grinpimp:

But yea, we do get a lot of folks from MA. I live north enough that it hasn't impacted us too bad.

You'll be impacted when they use the state legislature to fuck you over.

Hopefully the liberal part doesn't come as quick, or ever! :flipoff2:

My point is, I can pick a town in the middle of nowhere, and property is cheap, but there is probably not much, if any work in the area. Gotta find a balance I guess. ​​​​​​

You don't get it. Everybody is being nice.

Fuck. Off.

Don't move. Sit your ass down where it belongs, where you made your bed.

You just described Calif. "Other than the gun laws and politics, Calif is great" Ski/surf dude:lmao:

Housing gets more reasonable the further you get away from metros... as does the local law enforcement. El Dorado County sheriff is real nice to deal with even with Covid:grinpimp:

So its better? Which means its the right choice? Sounds like the OP is in a rural area and still unable to make it. In NY you can live in a rural area and still make good money.

Top Back Refresh