What's new

Is there a "hidden jem" place to live left in America?

Why would he have to lose the union bs to do that? If he was going to be away he might as well work wherever the wages are highest

Not dead set in sticking with the union, but I do need medical coverage for the family.

I'm not going to live in a hotel or trailer for weeks on end though, it's not worth it.

Ya, exactly, I know many guys in my trade that make $150-180k a year, but they live in a trailer or hotel 6 days a week for 10 months a year.

Then there's the cost of all that subtracted from your wages, I don't think those guys make as much as they think they do.

Most if not all the camp work up here is non union and gives you the option to live anywhere but still make decent money. Our normal non covid schedule is 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, $0 deduced for room and board, set schedule you know months in advance. You have a lot of pretty much garuenteed home time year round unlike some of those big travel construction jobs. I can't remember what it is but really good health insurance I believe is under $200 a month for a family.

Working here give guys the ability to live in awesome places without lots of jobs to attract people to those awesome places. Just offering it up as an option to make living in a hidden gem without decent jobs an option.

Most if not all the camp work up here is non union and gives you the option to live anywhere but still make decent money. Our normal non covid schedule is 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, $0 deduced for room and board, set schedule you know months in advance. You have a lot of pretty much garuenteed home time year round unlike some of those big travel construction jobs. I can't remember what it is but really good health insurance I believe is under $200 a month for a family.

Working here give guys the ability to live in awesome places without lots of jobs to attract people to those awesome places. Just offering it up as an option to make living in a hidden gem without decent jobs an option.

OK, I admit that doesn't sound too bad. The one thing I hate about construction is the unpredictability of it. I don't mind working a lot, but I need a break sometimes, it sucks to work through memorial, 4th of July and labor day weekends only to get laid off at an unknown time. Most places will laugh at you for asking for time off during the summer. I still prefer it to "9-5" year round.

What's exactly is the job? What is the pay like? Where is it exactly?

4000sqft house on 20 acres, just under $3k. Don't have it too bad here.

The rental house is cheap, cheap though. Like, $1000.

I was looking at buying a piece of land in River Ranch, FL.

40000 acre uncompleted housing development policed by a bunch of rednecks. They only allow access if you are a property owner and only allow camping in one area. The rest is left for recreation and hunting. I see "home lots" selling for under $1000 in there which get you gate access. A lot in the camping area is abut $10k.

There are other areas in FL like that. North Port is an example. Undeveloped subdivisions there without access to power. Can buy a home lot for $3000 to camp on during the weekend or build a house off grid. Ride ATVs for miles.

I looked up my old house in Champaign, IL Property taxes were one of the big reasons we left. $10,500 House and shop on 2 acres. Rural area well, septic, propane. Shitty internet. No sidewalks or any other real benefits people that live in town get. They pay about 80% more than the Rural folks do. I sold that house in 2014 after spending a year on the market for $412k. That house in Reno would be worth about $1.2-$1.5Mil

On top of the property taxes income tax at 5.5% sales tax 10% and I guess they got a great big fuel tax increase this year. We save at least $15k a year in taxes living here. My wife also makes about 10% more (RN)

I always thought that work schedule would be a great way to live out of an RV in your off time and travel the country (while still holding down a good income). As long as your at an airport when it's time for work you're good.

LOL if you are speaking of Pennsylvania, you can keep it, this Jeffersonian wouldnt waste the fuel to get across to your shithole state.

Nothing against you personally, its just too much like what we already have, if we conservative minded are going to go to the efforts of moving we will go somewhere where we are comfortable not another left leaning shithole.

Jefferson aka northern Cali should have a moose out front to tell people how stupid they are to even consider moving into California.

sorry, state's closed.

moose out front should have told you that.

LOL if you are speaking of Pennsylvania, you can keep it, this Jeffersonian wouldnt waste the fuel to get across to your shithole state.

Nothing against you personally, its just too much like what we already have, if we conservative minded are going to go to the efforts of moving we will go somewhere where we are comfortable not another left leaning shithole.

Jefferson aka northern Cali should have a moose out front to tell people how stupid they are to even consider moving into California.

You know that lake erie is mostly not in pennsylvania right?

I live in rural northern ohio.
it's cheap.
the people are nice.
and we don't have any problems outside of the urban centers.

It's nice.

but everyone thinks ohio is a shithole, and i encourage that thinking, because the less people that live here the better it is.

so don't come here.
it's shit.
:flipoff2:

No matter im destined for other lands, middle earth is my goto land.

You know that lake erie is mostly not in pennsylvania right?

I live in rural northern ohio.
it's cheap.
the people are nice.
and we don't have any problems outside of the urban centers.

It's nice.

but everyone thinks ohio is a shithole, and i encourage that thinking, because the less people that live here the better it is.

so don't come here.
it's shit.
:flipoff2:

What about western SD? I looked at real estate and it doesn't seem exactly cheap, but that could be a sign of good economy?

What about it? It's pretty cheap but it's not getting any cheaper. Building hasn't slowed down at all and we are slated to get another 10k airmen when the B22 show up. We are also building a new federal IHS facility that will add 400 some extra jobs. Building permits haven't really slowed down since I moved here.

Buying here is like planting a tree, best time was 10 years ago. So get it done. Plenty of areas around here that you can end up at and still be close to the main urban hub.

Wheeling is good. Take a trip and check it out.

What about it? It's pretty cheap but it's not getting any cheaper. Building hasn't slowed down at all and we are slated to get another 10k airmen when the B22 show up. We are also building a new federal IHS facility that will add 400 some extra jobs. Building permits haven't really slowed down since I moved here.

Buying here is like planting a tree, best time was 10 years ago. So get it done. Plenty of areas around here that you can end up at and still be close to the main urban hub.

Wheeling is good. Take a trip and check it out.

That's the plan, I've always heard great things about wheelin out there. Not that, that is high on my priority list, but I'd like to check it out.

Got a room to park a trailer at your place? :flipoff2:

I happen to like Wyoming. You deal with wind and there is a possibility of them enacting an income tax sometime in the 5 years but otherwise great people, access to lots of land of all types and pretty liberal laws. Biggest downside is the states industry is energy extraction and that's in a pretty hard slump right now so make sure you bring a job.

I happen to like Wyoming. You deal with wind and there is a possibility of them enacting an income tax sometime in the 5 years but otherwise great people, access to lots of land of all types and pretty liberal laws. Biggest downside is the states industry is energy extraction and that's in a pretty hard slump right now so make sure you bring a job.

My buddy is about ready to sell all his equipment, house and move, mostly like to WY. He said they like Cody. I have never been, I've always heard it's always cold and windy. But basically everyone from CA says everywhere is cold :laughing:​​​​​​

We will definitely check it out on the SD trip if it happens.

Lowest population density in the US iirc.

The wheeling in the black hills is some of my favorite!! What is up with people being such pussies about the cold? Layer up and turn the heat on, fixed.:rolleyes:

That's the plan, I've always heard great things about wheelin out there. Not that, that is high on my priority list, but I'd like to check it out.

Got a room to park a trailer at your place? :flipoff2:

maybe if you shut up about covid for 10 minutes :flipoff2: No utilities to plug into yet though.

I do like Sundance, WY but they do get alot of the crap weather there.

My buddy is about ready to sell all his equipment, house and move, mostly like to WY. He said they like Cody. I have never been, I've always heard it's always cold and windy. But basically everyone from CA says everywhere is cold :laughing:​​​​​​

We will definitely check it out on the SD trip if it happens.

Lowest population density in the US iirc.

alaska
wyoming
montana
north dakota
south dakota
new mexico
idaho
nebraska
nevada
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population_density

Set up your tube bender here, during the Winter this place gets hundreds of peejez passing through, maybe thousands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znsHkMesGbI
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...-town-for-sale
626825-nic_lindh-wikimediacommons.jpg

Ya, I looked that up earlier, lowest in lower 48, i guess. AK is cheating since it's like the size of half the lower 48 and 3/4 of it is damn near uninhabitable :flipoff2:

im a regular user of that link :flipoff2: funny how the 3 places id consider moving to are also the first 3 on that list :laughing:

Top Back Refresh