What's new

Is there a "hidden jem" place to live left in America?

I’m used to running into people. Overlanding has brought out new gadget ridden trail tampons. SXS’s brought out others who have more money than sense. It’s never been the end of the world. If you need the illusion that you are alone and the outdoors is yours alone. Don’t ever go recreating on a holiday, that encompasses wheeling, boating, fishing, snowmobiling, etc. That’s when every numbnut that only goes out once or twice a year takes his family out to plug up trails. If you want Moab to yourself, go the week after EJS. If you want sandHollow to yourself go the week after trail hero. Or share, the trail isn’t yours alone, that shit belongs to all of us.

Can you loose the union BS/ are you willing to work remote? I work with a ton of guys who live in the Northwest and come up to Alaska for work and fly home. It's how a how they can afford to live in Idaho/ Montana.

Can you loose the union BS/ are you willing to work remote? I work with a ton of guys who live in the Northwest and come up to Alaska for work and fly home. It's how a how they can afford to live in Idaho/ Montana.

Why would he have to lose the union bs to do that? If he was going to be away he might as well work wherever the wages are highest

Don’t ever go recreating on a holiday, that encompasses wheeling, boating, fishing, snowmobiling, etc. That’s when every numbnut that only goes out once or twice a year takes his family out to plug up trails.

I've flown to Norway and Sweden for the last five years for this. People are out and doing these things, but it's not so packed into small areas. In Sweden I have snowmobiled for 5 days straight and not seen another sled other than those people I'm with. It costs me $700 to $1000 to get there. Then I just spend money on food an alcohol with my friends. I'd rather make that trip every time than fight over a spot with people here.

Grand Junction CO sounds really nice!

I've lived in the piedmont area of NC my whole life. My opinion is that there is only 9-10 months that are usable for outdoor recreation. I don't go outside in July or August unless it is to swim in a pool or mow my grass early in the morning. The rest of the day is spent in the A/C. Like someone else mentioned, your shirt will be soaked and stuck to you immediately after stepping outside during the day. I would love to move somewhere with better weather, but jobs and family are here, so we stay. We are thinking about a second home to use during retirement that is as high as possible in the mountains of NC. My plan would be to go up there in late May or early June and not leave until mid-September. The winters here are very mild. There is never a day that it is 'too cold' to go outside.

Dont ever go to the midwest, you have 3 months of hot and humid as balls and are stuck inside, and 3 months of cold as hell and are stuck inside. 9-10months of outdoor weather isnt bad comparatively!! Full disclosure I'm moving to NC next month and I'm trying to convince myself I made the right decision.

Not dead set in sticking with the union, but I do need medical coverage for the family.

I'm not going to live in a hotel or trailer for weeks on end though, it's not worth it.

Why would he have to lose the union bs to do that? If he was going to be away he might as well work wherever the wages are highest

Ya, exactly, I know many guys in my trade that make $150-180k a year, but they live in a trailer or hotel 6 days a week for 10 months a year.

Then there's the cost of all that subtracted from your wages, I don't think those guys make as much as they think they do.

Dont ever go to the midwest, you have 3 months of hot and humid as balls and are stuck inside...................................................................................................... I'm moving to NC next month and I'm trying to convince myself I made the right decision.
You are not going to make it next summer. :laughing::flipoff2:

Ya, ya, ya, NY state sucks....blah, blah, blah.

we bought our home in the Catskills on 3/4 acres with a barn for half the price of a new F150.

Nearly debt free, (just bought a 17 Civic for $13k 🤨)just dont read the political news 😂🤣😂🤣

Our laws our ridiculous. Taxes are almost unbearable. Upstate is big and beautiful.

Our laws our ridiculous. Taxes are almost unbearable. Upstate is big and beautiful.

Its such a shame, the land upstate is really nice and could be a wonderful place. I'm at the southern edge of the Catskills on 20 acres. It's still commuting distance to NYC so it's populated, but head up another hour and the state is completely different. I pay 20k in property taxes, and the school tax part just went up another 300 this year, like every year.

Its such a shame, the land upstate is really nice and could be a wonderful place. I'm at the southern edge of the Catskills on 20 acres. It's still commuting distance to NYC so it's populated, but head up another hour and the state is completely different. I pay 20k in property taxes, and the school tax part just went up another 300 this year, like every year.

I pay $15k on 150 acres 4 hours north west of you.

i really like how we get 4 distinct seasons. Great hunting. Finger lakes, etc.

I pay $15k on 150 acres 4 hours north west of you.

i really like how we get 4 distinct seasons. Great hunting. Finger lakes, etc.

i pay just under 2k for my taxes in elbridge smack dab in the center of state, with 15 acres. nice house ranch style.
just paid a tad over 130 for it last year.
cost me less then when i bought my first house in nj back in 1990 for a smaller house, less land and more taxes.

Yea, I rode the ADKs last year on the bike. Nice area. Tried to do Whiteface Memorial Highway, but it was 38 degrees that morning. Had to pass.

You are not going to make it next summer. :laughing::flipoff2:

I'm going to have to tape a copy of my 2020 illinois property tax bill on evrey exit of the house down there, that way ill be able to stand the humidity :lmao::lmao:

But yes your probably right!

fuck me, i pay 20 bucks taxes on ten acres just west of fort worth {ag exemption}. and just over 300 on 40 acres no exemption in Colorado, it was under 10 bucks for years. my house on 3 acres runs me 3000 or so a year, worth around 300k. and to think i think that that is to high. i better count my blessings, i'm glad i don't have a state income tax.

I'm going to have to tape a copy of my 2020 illinois property tax bill on evrey exit of the house down there, that way ill be able to stand the humidity :lmao::lmao:

But yes your probably right!

So I went to SIU for 2 years and everybody around Carbondale talked up how humid it was. Coming from GA, I struggled with how dry it felt in the summer. :homer:

Of course now I’m in the AZ desert, love it and no way no how do I see myself going back to the humidity of the SE :laughing::flipoff2:.

Of course now I’m in the AZ desert, love it and no way no how do I see myself going back to the humidity of the SE :laughing::flipoff2:.

I never wanted to live in the SE due to humidity, but here we are that's 2020 for you! Evreywhere I want to live was either overrun with shit head californians, or is crazy expensive with no real good paying jobs. South it is!

Ya, 20k a year for property tax is straight theft, even CA won't do that.

We have .25ac lots around here with a 2000+sq ft house on them paying around that, fucking nuts!! I pay $7500 a year for my .25ac 1700 sq ft cookie cutter suburban house in a subdivision here, and that's considered really low for the area. Luckly we have a bunch of industry and a few corporate HQs (Ulta, Weathertec etc..) that keeps property taxes halfway reasonable. Its ridiculous, thank god I'm GTFO.

We have .25ac lots around here with a 2000+sq ft house on them paying around that, fucking nuts!! I pay $7500 a year for my .25ac 1700 sq ft cookie cutter suburban house in a subdivision here, and that's considered really low for the area. Luckly we have a bunch of industry and a few corporate HQs (Ulta, Weathertec etc..) that keeps property taxes halfway reasonable. Its ridiculous, thank god I'm GTFO.

thats still fucking insane. I have 3.14 acres with a 1600 sqft house, 3000sqft shop. 20 minutes from downtown Ftworth and I'm under 3000. And I'm pissed, how in the hell do y'all afford it?

thats still fucking insane. I have 3.14 acres with a 1600 sqft house, 3000sqft shop. 20 minutes from downtown Ftworth and I'm under 3000. And I'm pissed, how in the hell do y'all afford it?

Yay progress! I dont give two fucks how people say they vote. Bottom line is more people, more problems. Fuck off already.

They have successfully California'd my Texas.

fuck me, i pay 20 bucks taxes on ten acres just west of fort worth {ag exemption}. and just over 300 on 40 acres no exemption in Colorado, it was under 10 bucks for years. my house on 3 acres runs me 3000 or so a year, worth around 300k. and to think i think that that is to high. i better count my blessings, i'm glad i don't have a state income tax.
A friend of mine on TX side... 2600ft house, no shop or any outbuilding, Y2K new neighborhood, 3/4 acre lot- $6000/year. To live in shitfuck goddam Texarkana.

One of the reasons I gave up on TX and moved to AR. Mine and the wife's state income tax with AR proper6 is cheaper than our (comparable) property tax would be on TX side with no state.

Work, get pissed off at the .gov and figure out where to move to.

Top Back Refresh