What's new

Is there a "hidden jem" place to live left in America?

And which states would you consider northern new england ?

Maine, Neah Hampshire etc ?

When people say northern new england they mean maine, new hampshire and vermont.

I answered how far north you have to go to avoid the massholes earlier in the thread.

Here the forecast for where I'm working :laughing: ​​​​​​
The other site is surrounded by rice fields, so maybe that similar to the south? Is 28% humidity high? :laughing::flipoff2:

For real though, I have no idea, what is normal humidity in the south?

Really think the little bubble I live in is "perfect weather"

Screenshot_20200812-032055_Samsung Internet.jpg

My wife and I just went through this same exercise. It's funny how people suddenly become purveyor of the local arts when you want to move. Example being we are moving to a much much smaller town that's not in a massive metro area than where we are now. My wife, who I can count in one hand how many times were ever went to downtown chicago to any of the surrounding areas, is concerned by the lack of arts in the area. We go to a comedy show and a concert once a year and have been to the symphony once, thing is there is a metro area that has this stuff within an hours drive. The other one is "I dont like southern accents", I tell her she has talked to the neighbors here twice in 10years and we really dont talk to anyone at the store or in our community now. After making a pros and cons list like yours and logically breaking it down, shes now pretty excited to move. Yea some shits going to suck, but alot sucks here, and there are many more pros than cons to packing up and moving.

It's hard to say "I'm afraid of change." It's legitamitly frightening to move to a new place. My move from my hometown to Phoenix was way scarier than I ever expected. We were early in our lives, so everything we owned fit in 5'-0" of an ABF trailer. That included a queen size bed too.
It took less than a month for me to realize just how much of a support network I had at home that was now gone. I thought I 'did' stuff, turned out that I just had a great network of really supportive people to call when I needed something. I started to get really uncomfortable, went for some comfort food, and it was all different. I struggled with nothing being familiar and for a good year I seriously considered moving back.

A few things helped. I moved into Sully's neighborhood. After only a few posts and PMs on PBB he had invited me to his house for a St. Pat's party. Being in a group of people helped me not feel like I was on an island, especially since the whole group shared my interests. I wish I kept up with him and Jeremy (Gen. Nonsense from PBB), they are great people.

Some other things that will really help your wife and you. Frequent trips back for the first year. It really helps to know that everything you miss is really within reach. Before long people that you thought were close friends won't reach out. Family will all say they want to see you but they'll all think you should go out of your way to see them. It won't take long before you won't want to go back, especially not permanently. Within 2 years of leaving we realized most of the 'friends' we thought were so important didn't really give a shit about us. Now when we go back we have about 6 people in total that we visit with.

Be sure to hit up whatever local arts you have in the new place. Find both the best local foods and hunt around to find a place close to whatever you miss. Make a point to chase down those little brown signs that point to intersting places. This is a big one, my wife and I will cancel our day's plans for a brown sign. It helps the new place not feel so foreign.
Be outgoing, even if it is a complete sham. I struggle to make real friends and usually like to be alone, but it does help to have someone to grab a beer with. I had a few years where I didn't have any local friends, and that really does suck, especially since I work from home.

Basically stay active and doing things. Remember to leave the place you left, don't bitch that the new place doesn't do things 'right' because htey do it differently than in your town. It's really easy to hate the new place just because it's new. You have to choose to like it, or at least choose to try. If it doesn't work out then it's not a failure, but you need enough time for it to not work out.

The accent thing is pretty simple too. She knows exactly what you'll be thinking the first time some little blonde chick with blue eyes, a big smile, jean shorts with a pistol buldge on the small of her back and a southern accent says "hey y'all! Welcome to the neighborhood! I live just over yonder, y'all have ta stop by for supper sometime!" and slightly later in the conversation when she gives you a little side eye and says "oooooh, y'all get a lil bit of wine in me and i'll tell you ALL about it!". :evil::evil: :laughing::flipoff2:

Got ya, I've never been that far north just my time attempting to live in a small village north of orlando and a two week stretch I spent on Nantucket Island in Massachusetts.

Had Lobster and filet mignon every evening (when on the island) though was a plus.

Wanted to look at land in Maine back 10 years ago but just have too much stuff to drag out 3K miles.

When people say northern new england they mean maine, new hampshire and vermont.

I answered how far north you have to go to avoid the massholes earlier in the thread.

Bass or trout ?

I might try my hand but dont have a corrupt state of Ca fishing license.

I just want to be out west where i can get on BLM land and get the fuck away from everyone. I hate this shit.

if you get on that blm land during the weekend you wont be getting the fuck away from everyone you will be meeting them all there :laughing:

weekdays are the only way to get the fuck away from everyone, i gave up wheelin on weekends because part of the fun of wheelin to me is getting away from everyone not meeting them all in the middle of no where

I fucking hate the east coast. Every where is fucking private property. The place ive been camping at for like 10 years now, every summer holiday, has been owned by a gas company for forever. They never cared if locals came on there and wheeled. Well i found out the property got sold and was being split up to be sold. I had a bunch of locals keep an eye on it so i could buy up a chunk of it. Well, i just found out the property went to open auction last weekend and nobody but a few select people were informed of the auction (to keep outsiders from bidding). Two acre lots sold for $100k-$200k EACH! Theres no power, no data, no water/sewer on these lots either. Theres not even a real road to get to them, only a billy goat trail that crawlers and SxS's can get too.

Jesus fuck.

I just want to be out west where i can get on BLM land and get the fuck away from everyone. I hate this shit.

My immediate area is largely owned by a huge logging company (Sierra pacific) whebi was a kid, we used to cruise all the old fire roads all over checking areas out. They were fine with public access since a lot of it used to be public land. As years have past, more and more gates have gone up. The last few years, they really have been dropping gates everywhere. Even on county roads. I can't say I blame them, between people trashing the areas, and the epa up thier ass, they don't have much choice. It's a bummer though because like 8/10 of my favorite places are unaccessible now.

if you get on that blm land during the weekend you wont be getting the fuck away from everyone you will be meeting them all there :laughing:

weekdays are the only way to get the fuck away from everyone, i gave up wheelin on weekends because part of the fun of wheelin to me is getting away from everyone not meeting them all in the middle of no where

What are you talking about? Rubicon? That's not blm, go to Nevada, it's easy to go out and not see anyone. Heck, even the hammers is so big, it's extremely rare to hit a traffic jam. Even if you do, it's usually a group of decent people fixing their shit.

13 pages and y’all still haven’t agreed on a utopian Lib free town surrounded by public land pro 2A 68 degrees year round killer place to live? Almost makes me think there’s nowhere good to go :homer:

I’ve tried HARD my whole adult life to get to stay somewhere I WANT to be. I’ve lived in Utah, Colorado, Wyomia, New Mexico, and travel often to other places. I hate New Mexico. Truly...hate...NM. It’s a hideous poorly run state, as most Democrat states are.

My must haves are mountains, recreation, and comfortable temperature first, with commerce making it so I can earn a living high up there as well. For anyone that needs a “city” that isn’t a giant liberal metropolis you might look into Grand Junction Colorado. Of all the places I’ve lived it’s been my favorite.

150,000 population for the entire area. It’s 4 to 5 hours drive to the huge city’s leaving GJ a red county in the middle of nowhere so it’s pretty well left alone. 30 minutes to cool cold mountains lakes camping and fishing. 4 wheeling absolutely everywhere and has some of the coolest trails in US all within 2 hours in any direction. Huge recreational culture of all outdoor kinds. Moab and Montrose are an hour away. Homes are relatively cheap compared to other places I’ve tried to live. While pot is legal in all of Colorado Mesa county is an oasis that pot stores are not allowed. There is 1 pot shop in Palisade and it’s under stricter rules than all the other ones outside Mesa county. It might not sound like a big deal but legalized weed really did bring an influx of the nations worst pieces of shit liberal hippies. GJ has for the most part been spared from the trash that plagued the rest of the state. Weather is pretty sweet and pretty stable. Highs can get up above 100 but it’s not bad, swamp coolers work fantastically there. Lows can get below zero but GJ hasn’t been below zero at all the last few years.

The bad: Colorado is a huge almost entirely red state held hostage by the Democrats in a few counties. The mountain biker fags are constantly at war against all motorized recreation. GJ is small enough and far enough away from all other cities that big name bands/comedians don’t often come there, or if they do it’s in the middle of the week. So there isn’t even a huge nice Venue for concerts and stuff. The oilfield comes and goes causing a boom bust cycle that GJ is currently in the bust cycle of. This causes real estate to rise and fall largely and rapidly.

I'm sure you know I left and swore I wouldn't go back. Now I swear at myself for living 30 minutes from the hiking, biking, fishing, and wheeling that I never took advantage of when I could.

I have a lot of bad memories of the valley and it would be difficult emotionally due to ongoing family drama but I still think of moving back.

I know Phil would have my back for all the Yota junk parts I'd need :grinpimp:

I'm sure you know I left and swore I wouldn't go back. Now I swear at myself for living 30 minutes from the hiking, biking, fishing, and wheeling that I never took advantage of when I could.

I have a lot of bad memories of the valley and it would be difficult emotionally due to ongoing family drama but I still think of moving back.

I know Phil would have my back for all the Yota junk parts I'd need :grinpimp:

I don’t remember drama? What happened? You were just a kid when you were there, and when you left. And Phil ??? PHIL? You had a Jeep when you were there, did you go full overlander Toyota guy. If your talking loony forum stuff don’t take it personal. We were just hazing a kid. You were always welcome in the group. I was a perpetually drunk angry ass hole in the middle of getting a divorce and having my life torn apart. I never really meant any of the Christian or Toyota bashing if that left a bad taste in your mouth.

My immediate area is largely owned by a huge logging company (Sierra pacific) whebi was a kid, we used to cruise all the old fire roads all over checking areas out. They were fine with public access since a lot of it used to be public land. As years have past, more and more gates have gone up. The last few years, they really have been dropping gates everywhere. Even on county roads. I can't say I blame them, between people trashing the areas, and the epa up thier ass, they don't have much choice. It's a bummer though because like 8/10 of my favorite places are unaccessible now.

What are you talking about? Rubicon? That's not blm, go to Nevada, it's easy to go out and not see anyone. Heck, even the hammers is so big, it's extremely rare to hit a traffic jam. Even if you do, it's usually a group of decent people fixing their shit.

im talking about all of ca :homer: you even posted not long ago about going out on the weekends and theres way too many people, should i search for your post? :laughing:

Just gotta know where to go. My LV club developed this area starting in 2004, and we never ran into anyone else that we didn't invite, other than some local kids out farting around on quads or dirtbikes.

PB130165.JPG

im talking about all of ca :homer: you even posted not long ago about going out on the weekends and theres way too many people, should i search for your post? :laughing:

He said blm, usually blm is open and pretty easy to get away from people. But almost all blm land I have experience with is desert. So if you're trying to go to the mountains, it's usually more crowded.

I just drive around gates so long as I know who owns the land and can take a reasonably good guess at their level of give-a-fuck. If I encounter people I act apologetically dumb and pretend I thought the gates were just to keep out the teenagers on quads and people who weren't serious enough to drag their shitbox over a boulder. It's worked so far but maybe that's just because I'm not a drunk asshole trashing stuff. :laughing:

He said blm, usually blm is open and pretty easy to get away from people. But almost all blm land I have experience with is desert. So if you're trying to go to the mountains, it's usually more crowded.

he said blm but he also said land thats not privately owned as in public land, state/national forest etc, which is what i was including in my statement along with desirable places people want to actually go (not just blm or the middle of the desert) they are packed as fuck on good weather weekends. pretty much any good wheelin trail/area is going to be packed on a weekend, and yes they are public land :flipoff2:

he said blm but he also said land thats not privately owned as in public land, state/national forest etc, which is what i was including in my statement along with desirable places people want to actually go (not just blm or the middle of the desert) they are packed as fuck on good weather weekends. pretty much any good wheelin trail/area is going to be packed on a weekend, and yes they are public land :flipoff2:

Hmm I can think of much more public/blm land that has virtually no one on it the areas that are crowded

you ca much? :lmao: this place is so fucking over crowded

The populated areas are but there is a lot of places you can get away. I grew up in northern ca and you can leave our family's property and ride till you are out of gas and never see another person.
there is BLM land a mile from my house I have never seen another person on and there are no signs anyone else ever goes there.
I think you need to get out and do some more exploring.

I harass my wife weekly about moving to the GJ area. After us just now losing our vacation spot we dearly loved shes kindof onboard. She still holds out because our family would be devastated since we just had our first kid and the first grandkid of both sides of our family (Who both live close to us). So its going to take a lot more convincing.

I forget, where do you live currently?

Grand Junction CO sounds really nice!

I've lived in the piedmont area of NC my whole life. My opinion is that there is only 9-10 months that are usable for outdoor recreation. I don't go outside in July or August unless it is to swim in a pool or mow my grass early in the morning. The rest of the day is spent in the A/C. Like someone else mentioned, your shirt will be soaked and stuck to you immediately after stepping outside during the day. I would love to move somewhere with better weather, but jobs and family are here, so we stay. We are thinking about a second home to use during retirement that is as high as possible in the mountains of NC. My plan would be to go up there in late May or early June and not leave until mid-September. The winters here are very mild. There is never a day that it is 'too cold' to go outside.

I don’t remember drama? What happened? You were just a kid when you were there, and when you left. And Phil ??? PHIL? You had a Jeep when you were there, did you go full overlander Toyota guy. If your talking loony forum stuff don’t take it personal. We were just hazing a kid. You were always welcome in the group. I was a perpetually drunk angry ass hole in the middle of getting a divorce and having my life torn apart. I never really meant any of the Christian or Toyota bashing if that left a bad taste in your mouth.

Nothing related to the looons and no need to feel conscious, just BS and guilt tripping with my parents getting divorced.

I still catch up with several of the loons offline

The populated areas are but there is a lot of places you can get away. I grew up in northern ca and you can leave our family's property and ride till you are out of gas and never see another person.
there is BLM land a mile from my house I have never seen another person on and there are no signs anyone else ever goes there.
I think you need to get out and do some more exploring.

i grew up surrounded by blm, i live surrounded by blm, i live in one of the least populated counties in ca, i live down a dirt road and can hop in anything and drive for miles down dirt roads. i see people every weekend, every weekend wheelin trip ive ever taken(besides winter) there are people every where ive been.

but yea i dont know wtf im talking about :laughing: youre too busy working all the time to go recreate on the weekends so youre full of shit :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh