What's new

I want something unique.

Depending on the frame profile, I'd be tempted to SUA and possibly forward shackle the D30.

Keep it low slung and nimble. Find a 241OR and you're set.

Depending on the frame profile, I'd be tempted to SUA and possibly forward shackle the D30.

Could, I like leafs.

But I think the jeep parts make it pretty easy to just go 3 link and coils.

I have that kit, and sua, but uh, it isn’t going to work very good with that axle. Get real axles, or do like 350taco said.

Attachments

• EBAB4FEB-ED67-4A4B-800B-1A797A183219.jpeg
    EBAB4FEB-ED67-4A4B-800B-1A797A183219.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 36
Im torn between a radius arm or sua leafs.

Figure I could clearance a lot of sheetmetal and damn near fit whatever 😆

It is $20 a leaf at the junkyard, so $80 I could have bastard S10 leafs in the front as a start.

Leaving the factory mounts and doing a radius arm is also very appealing.

Why forward shackles? Im torn there as well.

I like the idea of the axle pushing into the ledge I suppose.

It is $20 a leaf at the junkyard, so $80 I could have bastard S10 leafs in the front as a start.

I'm not a big fan of junkyard leafs anymore. Besides 63 chebbys, none of them seem to hold up very well. For spua, I'd be looking at some bds YJ leafs. Double mil wrapped and lifetime warranty. Plus you can get them in many different heights.

Why forward shackles? Im torn there as well.

I like the idea of the axle pushing into the ledge I suppose.

Forward shackles keep your tires away from the firewall and do less funky shit when climbing. There really isn't near as much forward and back movement as everyome thinks.

I fabbed my own radius arms for mine.

I'm not a big fan of junkyard leafs anymore. Besides 63 chebbys, none of them seem to hold up very well. For spua, I'd be looking at some bds YJ leafs. Double mil wrapped and lifetime warranty. Plus you can get them in many different heights.
I thought YJs would be the ticket, but also read they are too soft.

I figured a YJ with the 4.0l would be comparable to an S10 with a 4.3 weight wise since mines a single cab shortbed.

I thought YJs would be the ticket, but also read they are too soft.

I figured a YJ with the 4.0l would be comparable to an S10 with a 4.3 weight wise since mines a single cab shortbed.

The 4.0 is way heavier, but they are basically on the bump stops from the factory :laughing:

I'm talking aftermarket leafs. They won't be too soft. I ran the 3 1/2" leafs on my 4 door 4runner with an 8274 and they were great. Even used the warranty

The nice thing also, is that once you build your mounts for YJ leafs, the options are crazy.

Yeah, aftermarket YJ springs are good, I had them in a springover Samurai on Dana 44s and 38's.

Yeah, aftermarket YJ springs are good, I had them in a springover Samurai on Dana 44s and 38's.
I know they are big on sammis, but a samurai weighs a bit less (unspung) than my S10 Im figuring.

Ill look into them a bit.

Lifted springs may be alright as Im sure theyre a bit stiffer than stock.

I know they are big on sammis, but a samurai weighs a bit less (unspung) than my S10 Im figuring.

Ill look into them a bit.

Lifted springs may be alright as Im sure theyre a bit stiffer than stock.
I had a Ford 4.0/M5OD/D300 in mine so a little heavier than a stock sammie. Flat OEM springs were pretty soft, and I found some OME like 1" springs that were quite a bit stiffer, but still flexed like a mofo.

I’m telling you if you have your heart set on leafs, you should find a different axle. Good luck trying to get perches and u bolts to fit. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it’s not worth the effort or money when you could find a waggy axle or even full width stuff. I’m a little bit of a Dana 30 fan, BUT only in the right application. Don’t get me wrong, I would have drug that junk home too for 40$, but I wouldn’t have put it under anything with leaves. You would be better off to find a kit for an xj/tj and make it fit.

For the record, I am essentially using lift wagoneer springs, but with a custom main leaf that is slightly longer with the center pin slightly more forward. The leaf kit you linked, is a decent kit, but the springs I have and where that kit sits on the frame gave me a terrible shackle angle.

Edit: that leaf kit is for waggy springs, yj is too short, s10 is too long.

I’m telling you if you have your heart set on leafs, you should find a different axle. Good luck trying to get perches and u bolts to fit. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it’s not worth the effort or money when you could find a waggy axle or even full width stuff. I’m a little bit of a Dana 30 fan, BUT only in the right application. Don’t get me wrong, I would have drug that junk home too for 40$, but I wouldn’t have put it under anything with leaves. You would be better off to find a kit for an xj/tj and make it fit.

For the record, I am essentially using lift wagoneer springs, but with a custom main leaf that is slightly longer with the center pin slightly more forward. The leaf kit you linked, is a decent kit, but the springs I have and where that kit sits on the frame gave me a terrible shackle angle.

Edit: that leaf kit is for waggy springs, yj is too short, s10 is too long.

I found some 60s in PX for big $$$$ 50s for $600ish. 44s, which I was hoping for are currently unobtanium.

YJs used springs, so I know they would work in that regard, but I havent mocked that idea up against my frame, so you are probably correct on using leaves with my setup.

The reason I am saying leaves on THAT axle isn’t a great idea is the casting is different than a yj axle. A yj has perches cast into the differential, center section, pumpkin, whatever you want to call it. There is no room for a ubolt. I have attempted to do exactly what you are talking about doing. I am telling you, from experience, it is not a worthwhile endeavor.

Finding a long arm kit that works with THAT axle is a doable plan.

Also the typical sky’s offroad Toyota style leaf hanger kit with the bushing that gets welded to the bottom of the frame rails also doesn’t sit on these frames very good. Can it be done? Of course. Would you be better off doing something else? Of course.

The reason I am saying leaves on THAT axle isn’t a great idea is the casting is different than a yj axle. A yj has perches cast into the differential, center section, pumpkin, whatever you want to call it. There is no room for a ubolt. I have attempted to do exactly what you are talking about doing. I am telling you, from experience, it is not a worthwhile endeavor.

Finding a long arm kit that works with THAT axle is a doable plan.

Also the typical sky’s offroad Toyota style leaf hanger kit with the bushing that gets welded to the bottom of the frame rails also doesn’t sit on these frames very good. Can it be done? Of course. Would you be better off doing something else? Of course.
Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it :smokin:

Stucky brings up a good point. If the axle is going to fight you putting leafs on, then it's not worth it. You have the stock brackets(although I know they aren't great) , may as well just find some used long arm parts. There is a million different options for coils, so I'm sure you could find something that will work, or just go to a small coil over.

Stucky brings up a good point. If the axle is going to fight you putting leafs on, then it's not worth it. You have the stock brackets(although I know they aren't great) , may as well just find some used long arm parts. There is a million different options for coils, so I'm sure you could find something that will work, or just go to a small coil over.
Ya, Ill re-enforce the stock tin mounts.

I've done a few HP30 swaps into YJs. If 31.5 works for the s10 frame, I dont see an issue.

I have a waggy 44 in the front and a rodeo 44 in the rear. Front is spring under on the factory wagoneer leaves. They actually ride pretty decent. Going to rework the front with rancho 44044's and a different shackle mount as I don't care for the current setup.
1.jpg
3.jpg

Stopped and looked at this today:

4.3l 4x4.

The plan is something for my middle son to someday drive.....ya....it is too nice, I would keep it too:laughing:

Very good shape, almost as nice as my old 1994 was in 2000. The dash wasnt even cracked under the mat.

I would keep it stock and use it as my daily.

Screenshot_20220919-180622_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220919-180617_Facebook.jpg

I may pick the white one up today and use it instead. It is a much nicer starting point condition wise.

My middle son wants a car to learn to drive in, so he may use the red one.

I would have to do another winch mount again though.:frown:

If I swapped the manual trans from the red one to the white one, would the ecm need swapped as well?

I like having a manual.

Warning this reply contains opinions, this doesn't mean you have to follow them.:stirthepot:
I've been with you up till this point man. No way I would start with something cleaner of the exact same brand and model just to then hack it up into a wheeler then add in swapping trans from one to the other...
If your actually going to wheel it then it will be beat up in no time so stick with the one that already has some damage, is already a 5spd, already has the winch, and leave the clean one as a dd and starter truck for the kid.

Warning this reply contains opinions, this doesn't mean you have to follow them.:stirthepot:
I've been with you up till this point man. No way I would start with something cleaner of the exact same brand and model just to then hack it up into a wheeler then add in swapping trans from one to the other...
If your actually going to wheel it then it will be beat up in no time so stick with the one that already has some damage, is already a 5spd, already has the winch, and leave the clean one as a dd and starter truck for the kid.
Absolutely true, and logical.

Heres my thought though:

15 year old kid. Usually has a few oopsies early on, so let him find the parking posts, parking lot oopsies in an already dinged truck.

The off road damage aspect doesnt really bother me as far as starting with something clean. Been there with stuff MUCH more valuable than $3k price tag.

It will be a daily/wheeler so starting nice would be nice

Last edited:
Will hopefully pick up the white one tomorrow. The owner needs to get the title notorized.

Whether it gets the SAS or the red one is still up in the air right now due to

1) If my 15 year old wants the red one
2) If I want to give him my red one :laughing:

I would like to have the white one be an unmolested daily, and sas the red one prefferably, but there are several options in the air.

Either way, I want the white one :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh