What's new

I want something unique.

Will hopefully pick up the white one tomorrow. The owner needs to get the title notorized.

Whether it gets the SAS or the red one is still up in the air right now due to

1) If my 15 year old wants the red one
2) If I want to give him my red one :laughing:

I would like to have the white one be an unmolested daily, and sas the red one prefferably, but there are several options in the air.

Either way, I want the white one :grinpimp:
You're going to need a third one, obviously.

You're going to need a third one...

I need something to drive and haul water while one is getting the SAS done. May as well buy another one:grinpimp:

Actually, that was never the plan.

This one showed up online and I jokingly told the mrs about it thinking she would suggest otherwise....she said "ok". I decided to check it out for my 15 year old after I finished up the red one. I figured it was in typical AZ shape, no biggie.

All the S10s I find out here can be in decent shape outside but all the interiors are junk/cracked and crunchie. Nothing in the junkyards is worth pulling interior wise regardless of what year. (same issues)

Finding interior panels online is hard, and unobtanium for "1994" (Its 93 and back or 95 and newer despite what the add says)
This one is in real good shape minus a few scuffs inside. That is one of the big reasons I like it.

It was an old municipality truck, you can see where the old door stickers and number was.

He bought it four years ago with 90k mi (his story) It has 122k now.

Can you find JK axles cheap nowadays?

I would gather all the stock pull off items control arms, springs, brackets, Rubicon wheel and tire takeoffs.

Make a little weekend crawler. Probably do most of moab with just that.
They are running approx $2500 a set locally.

Im happy with the 8.8, it will be fine. Thats the width I was hoping for as I dont want full width, and dont have a desire to cut down custom lengths.
The front should suffice, but isnt ideal

I was hoping for Waggy 44s, but no luck.

The local JY is quite the crap shoot the last few years. It seems all the neat old viable/easy to get stuff is run dry and now you just get econobox junk era cars.

No more 70s F150s, Wagoneers (there used to be several at any given time a few years back) or anything bigger than a Dana 44 Dodge CAD.

I am going to do a coil/radius arm front using TJ/XJ/ZJ longarms is the plan right now. If I buy/find the front kit adapting the crossmember should be fairly easy.

I lied, $2200/set
Screenshot_20220921-051800_Facebook.jpg

Yes to the 465/205 combo No to the 327 carb I was putting together A CJ2A several years ago With that idea
If you ditch the driver side axle and go back to 465/205 combo, let me know. There's a few of each in Chevy figure 8 flavor on my shelves.

I bought the white one. :smokin:

It rides stiffer than the red one, but it is a base model package, so maybe it has heavier springs.

Last edited:
Ill keep this one clean, and SAS the red one.

This one will get a lunchbox locker in the back since it is still a dirt road with big hills to get to our property (also snow potential) some decent ATs (BFG ATs probably) some nice alum wheels (undecided) and some, other color than white (my only real disapointment with it)

Will try to keep the interior good as long as I can, since its an unobtanium "1994"

Someday down the road, maybe a 195hp version of a 4.3l rather than its 165hp version.

The red one is at my work for the week since I am on call and can drive a company truck/use their fuel.

The plan is next sat, start the tear down.

This weekend, Im gonna ditch the Chinese lights on the white one. They are not hooked up anyhow.

20220922_174830.jpg

Spent a lot of needed time with the Mrs since thursday, which put her behind on her work load (accountant) so I have some time today to start dinking with the S10s while she catches up a bit.

Swapping tires from the red one to thw white one since the white one will be the new daily and the red ones going on blocks soon. We just bought the tires Im swapping and the white ones were getting old, worn and cracked.

It feels like the white one has a different gear ratio (possiby 3.54) and the white one has 3.73. I may entertain swapping the front rear diff when this is done since the red ones gonna go to the scrapper otherwise and I would prefer the 3.73. The red one has a bit more get up and go over the white one, but that may be the manual vs auto as well.

Ill set them aside for later just in case.
20221002_091516.jpg

Working on dirt, I will make junkyard jackstands out of the extra steel wheels soon as well.

Local Marketplace has a set of 4" YJ springs and other Jeep parts (not needed junk) for sale for $150. They may work well for the back. Still deciding on that idea

It feels like the white one has a different gear ratio (possiby 3.54) and the white one has 3.73. I may entertain swapping the front rear diff when this is done since the red ones gonna go to the scrapper otherwise and I would prefer the 3.73. The red one has a bit more get up and go over the white one, but that may be the manual vs auto as well.

Ill set them aside for later just in case.

The lazy way for gear ratios is to glance at the RPO codes in the glove box. I’d guess 3.42s in the auto and 3.73s in the manual. Pretty sure my last 95 / 5 speed 4wd had 3.73s. If they are different, could do a little math and keep the speedo correct with a little taller tire and the deeper gear.

GU4=3.08
GU5=3.23
GU6=3.42
GT4=3.73
GT5=4.10

You may want that red one’s rear axle in the white one anyways. The 4.3/5 speed trucks have the 8.5” rear instead of the 7.5”/7.625” baby 10 bolt. Note: I know for sure 95-up is this way, should be 94 as well but as you know that’s a weird year for S10s.

The lazy way for gear ratios is to glance at the RPO codes in the glove box. I’d guess 3.42s in the auto and 3.73s in the manual. Pretty sure my last 95 / 5 speed 4wd had 3.73s. If they are different, could do a little math and keep the speedo correct with a little taller tire and the deeper gear.

GU4=3.08
GU5=3.23
GU6=3.42
GT4=3.73
GT5=4.10

You may want that red one’s rear axle in the white one anyways. The 4.3/5 speed trucks have the 8.5” rear instead of the 7.5”/7.625” baby 10 bolt. Note: I know for sure 95-up is this way, should be 94 as well but as you know that’s a weird year for S10s.
Ill check into it.

Both rears look the same outwardly.

Ill probably have quite a stash of S10 drivetrain junk for a bit.

I would like to put an updated 4.3l (200hp version vs it current 165) into the white one with the red ones manual trans setup.

I would like to put something in the red one with a considerable HP improvement. Havent decided what that will be yet. Small block, LS, ????? dunno. But 165hp and say 35" tires doesnt sound fun. I dont know how Toyota guys do it with their 22rs...I guess very patiently:laughing:

This area is far from flatland. My old Samurai and flathead powered Jeeps were always frustrating to drive.

Last edited:
Considering swapping in a SM465 more lately. The NV3500/HM290 needs rebuilt anyhow, and I would appreciate the granny low.

I am hoping to have the rear 8.8 in this weekend. Will see how the weather holds.

I need to get the factory trans out soon as well and either rebuild/swap it out.

Broke open the ole 8.8 today.

It looks good inside, no issues.

It will need some new brake pads, and some un-needed brackets removed, otherwise it should be set in the truck this weekend.

The spring perches are seemingly at the same spacing as the S10. I am hoping the pinion angle will work as well.

It will get a heavy iron diff cover and the tubes welded as well when I do the gear change/locker.
20221008_172702.jpg

I got the 8.8 set under the rear of the truck, pretty straight forward other than reworking the brake lines a bit.

I bought the conversion ujoint. The Ford end went on beautifully, the Chevy end is fighting me tooth and nail coming out of the yokes for some reason.

Ebrakes are gonna be a hassle, but should be doable, working on that system last.

I cannot get the brakes to bleed for shit, but my middle son might have let the res get too low. I tried to bleed the front, but the pass front bleeder is stuck. Meh, its all coming out anyway so not too worried about that just yet.

It seems any 8.8 swap I have read about has no issues with stock master cylinder size so Im hoping its air in the lines.

I will have to redo the shock setup, the 8.8 lower mounts wont work with the stock chevy uppers.

I love the Sm465 for what it is, but even with a semi healthy V8, I would get stuck between ratios in my old K10 with 33s. I'd think with a little 4.3 it would suck driving in the mountains, but maybe it would be OK if the truck was light enough?

Big ass sledge and a concrete floor made the ole Chevy ujoint give up the ghost thankfully.

On to the front suspension.

I love the Sm465 for what it is, but even with a semi healthy V8, I would get stuck between ratios in my old K10 with 33s. I'd think with a little 4.3 it would suck driving in the mountains, but maybe it would be OK if the truck was light enough?
I had a 2wd version in an old square body with a small block. I didnt have that issue, BUT it was a different truck.

Good point though.

I was looking for 1st gear. I loved my old Rubicons 4-1.

I had a 2wd version in an old square body with a small block. I didnt have that issue, BUT it was a different truck.

Good point though.

I was looking for 1st gear. I loved my old Rubicons 4-1.

If it was just a crawler, I'd say go for it, but for all around use, I think your money would be better spent on a Rubicon case or doubler.

Top Back Refresh