What's new

I want something unique.

Screenshot_20220802-071458_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have my 94 Chevy S10 project going now. I am looking for ways to build it a bit more, out of the box.

First up, suspension.

SAS? Sure but its been done.

There is a company making a Dana 30 center/IFS setup for ZR2 packages. Kinda neat, but at $1700 for a empty housing...I dunno.

Are 1 ton Chevy front centers worth a shit?

The plan is too run 35s-37s. Maybe with fabricated control arms? May as well go for a Spidertrax housing at that point I guess...

Unimog portals? I cant find any decent regular axles close so finding those are gonna be a bitch.

Playing with ideas today.

in all seriousness you need to decide what is the driving factory for the vehicle.

an s10 as a platform doesnt bring much to the table.
  • narrow frame width with all kinds of goofy shapes
  • narrow cab, hardly any room inside
  • terrible drivetrain

now if you want to go way off the reservation, rear mounted v6 ecoboost with some sort of slush box, JHF portals with toyota housings, and 40s.

in all seriousness you need to decide what is the driving factory for the vehicle.

• terrible drivetrain

now if you want to go way off the reservation, rear mounted v6 ecoboost with some sort of slush box, JHF portals with toyota housings, and 40s.
The drivetrain isnt any worse than a YJ, especially the early years.4cyl. AX5, funky pre 231 t case a dana 35? meh. Peugot trans?

4.3l, decent motor, NV3500/NH290 decent trans, NP231 decent transfer case.

• terrible drivetrain

Maybe he likes them? I know a guy who had owned like 30 of them by the time he was 30 years old:laughing:Just because he liked them. They're cheap, have semi decent drive train, and can do minor truck things.
To be honest i was going to look for one to build before i decided on my full size(mostly i already owned the truck). The reason i didn't go was mostly the above, but the things you stated about it was part of it as well.

I think the frame situation can be easily remedied, but your idea of rear engine is intriguing as well.
But if he wants to go completely bonkers, he should do a god dammed model T built for both crawling and hauling with your motor choice and long travel ifs front/ trailing arm rear...

I have a weak spot for S10s. My brothers first 4x4 was an 85 2 door s series Blazer with the ole 2.8l turd. I wanted to buy one back in the day and cut the rear roof off then add a softop.

My first was a 94 S10. Same as I have now but automatic.

I beat the hell outta it bad enough most people thought the front end was broke on the trail since the wheels were walking around every which way.

Torsion lift, 3" body lift with 31" muds. Bumpers, sliders, and a winch. I was 18/19.

Had a ton of fun in that truck, broke off my ass going to welding class in the morning, waiting tables at night and for some time working at the fab shop

I have a weak spot for S10s. My brothers first 4x4 was an 85 2 door s series Blazer with the ole 2.8l turd. I wanted to buy one back in the day and cut the rear roof off then add a softop.

My first was a 94 S10. Same as I have now but automatic.

I beat the hell outta it bad enough most people thought the front end was broke on the trail since the wheels were walking around every which way.

Torsion lift, 3" body lift with 31" muds. Bumpers, sliders, and a winch. I was 18/19.

Had a ton of fun in that truck, broke off my ass going to welding class in the morning, waiting tables at night and for some time working at the fab shop

so you have a soft spot for the s10, noted.

list the performance specs and go to town

Reactions: DMG

• terrible drivetrain

Of all the "mini trucks" out there, I chose an S10 because:
a. It's not a Toyota. Nothing againgst them, in fact probably my favorite brand just for robust engineering. But everyone and his brother has one
b. I knew from the onset I was going to swap all of the drivetrain out, except the 4.3, so I might as well start with one (CARB legal)
c. Because it's not a Toyota, I was able to find my 4 door, low milage clean S10 for under $1300

Attachments

• S10.jpg
    S10.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 22
Of all the "mini trucks" out there, I chose an S10 because:
a. It's not a Toyota. Nothing againgst them, in fact probably my favorite brand just for robust engineering. But everyone and his brother has one
b. I knew from the onset I was going to swap all of the drivetrain out, except the 4.3, so I might as well start with one (CARB legal)
c. Because it's not a Toyota, I was able to find my 4 door, low milage clean S10 for under $1300
The 4.3l has been treating me good thus far.

I owned a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 manual with the 4.0l. It was a nice truck but my S10 seems to have a lot more get up and go than the Ranger did.

I always crack up at guys who "picked a xxx to be different" then usually add a ton of hacked on shit.

I figure if I can build a boring 4runner, jeep or samurai in a way that stands out. It's much cooler than a Durango with 10 bolts and boggers :flipoff2:

Reactions: DMG
I always crack up at guys who "picked a xxx to be different" then usually add a ton of hacked on shit.

I figure if I can build a boring 4runner, jeep or samurai in a way that stands out. It's much cooler than a Durango with 10 bolts and boggers :flipoff2:
BTDT. I had a samurai on D44 front and D60 rear 20 years ago, before you could order anything you wanted for a sammy. When I broke my og Petroworks tcase on sledgehammer, I made my own adapter from a Ford 4.0 v6//M5OD to a D300 tcase.

And if Super Duty tons and Ecobox/205 is "hacked up shit" on 41.5 PBRs, I'll take it lol.

BTDT. I had a samurai on D44 front and D60 rear 20 years ago, before you could order anything you wanted for a sammy. When I broke my og Petroworks tcase on sledgehammer, I made my own adapter from a Ford 4.0 v6//M5OD to a D300 tcase.

Wasn't aimed at you at all. :laughing: more the guys who think they're just breaking the mold by not building a Toyota or jeep.

Don't get me wrong, I like the S10. We had 96 4.3 ex cab and the engine was great. Although that truck felt more loose and rattly at 100k miles than my 350k mile 96 4runner does :laughing:

I totally get what you mean though. 4 door tacoma is $10k and the 4 door S10 is $3k or less. Why go Toyota just to toss everything?

I have this weird desire to swap in a TBI 350. Ya, LS swap makes more sense/power ect yada yada yada....

Probably me just being sentimental of the good ole days of TBIs and Holley Pro-jection.

Yes to the 465/205 combo No to the 327 carb I was putting together A CJ2A several years ago With that idea

That walker evans truck has so many odd build ideas that apparently work. The front wishbone seems like it would stick out and be in way but it looks like its tucked up a ton.

That walker evans truck has so many odd build ideas that apparently work. The front wishbone seems like it would stick out and be in way but it looks like its tucked up a ton.
I was looking at that. Seems it would help protect the tie rod.

I wonder if the front tended to dive, similar to if you do a front shackle reversal? It probably rides nice.

Kinda intriqued to use the same idea.

Last edited:
For competion it may not have been quite as compeditive of a setup. For recreation it may work favorably....hmm.

I remember there was a company that built a solid axle using IFS center diff and CV's to try and mimic portal ground clearance....maybe do a homebrew of that? If you have a 4.3 that is in good shape I would think a small turbo setup would give it more than enough hp to move 35's without getting unreliable.

305 V6 with an HEI conversion....

Never driven one :lmao: But a stock 305 came up for sale local (not HEI swapped)

They are neat motor. Tons of meat in cylinders for overbore. 478 has same cylinder spacing but something like 5.125" bore.

I remember there was a company that built a solid axle using IFS center diff and CV's to try and mimic portal ground clearance....maybe do a homebrew of that? If you have a 4.3 that is in good shape I would think a small turbo setup would give it more than enough hp to move 35's without getting unreliable.

atomic axle

1659654742257.jpeg

The best thing about the 4.3 is that it makes "enough" power as is. That, and that you can put about any trans behind it.

I'd leave it alone until you figure out what you build it. Maybe a low boost turbo down the road. Or the obvious V8 swap.

Don't you Toyota guys turn 40s with 75 hp 22re's...

Top Back Refresh