What's new

I want something unique.

THIS! Most of the SAS S10s I see are tree houses.

Hoping to come off of it with a minimal of lift compared.
If that's what you want then you'll need to ditch the frame completely. You can bump higher if you don't have i deal with stock frame rails, as I'm finding out again(even without fear of cutting everything and anything) in my full size build... even though it's not a sten, it's just bigger scale

If that's what you want then you'll need to ditch the frame completely. You can bump higher if you don't have i deal with stock frame rails, as I'm finding out again(even without fear of cutting everything and anything) in my full size build... even though it's not a sten, it's just bigger scale
That is what I was thinking about today.

I havent pulled it apart yet. I am assuming there is lots in the way.

That is what I was thinking about today.

I havent pulled it apart yet. I am assuming there is lots in the way.
I went back and forth on whether or not to build at least the front half of the frame(I'm building most of the rear already) and keep the middle... but i didn't and now I'm sure you've seen it's pretty tall at 7'-3" roof line... going to be a big Ole girl:laughing:

I'm sure there is all kinds of shit in the way... even when you build a frame, there will be constraints to work within. I think it would be a nice place to start at this point in my build. I'm too far along to change now
(I might be getting buggy fever anyway:lmao:)

What you thinking for drive train... please don't say ls:flipoff2:
This is where you could be unique IMO

Not him either. Moosebuilt was the guy that built all the go fast prerunner-ish stuff, no? Same guy that built Wilson's old Samurai?

I'd try and find the build on the old site but there is no chance in hell I'm going back there.

JR4X, do you know who I'm talking about?
It was Mosebilt

Not him either. Moosebuilt was the guy that built all the go fast prerunner-ish stuff, no? Same guy that built Wilson's old Samurai?

I'd try and find the build on the old site but there is no chance in hell I'm going back there.

I do know who you’re talking about and also can’t remember his name. My friend has that 4500 chassis as a trail rig now. IFS/IRS car was located in Colorado Springs or thereabouts. LS engine all stock GM unit bearings and diffs, home built tubular a-arms.

Had to phone a friend. Chris Coughlin is his name.

BEB1FFCC-6614-4D22-A0E0-09E5D624ABA1.jpeg

I do know who you’re talking about and also can’t remember his name. My friend has that 4500 chassis as a trail rig now. IFS/IRS car was located in Colorado Springs or thereabouts. LS engine all stock GM unit bearings and diffs, home built tubular a-arms.
Mosebilt built at least one with cut down GM 9.5 centers. He was doin a bunch of “off the wall” stuff

Just having an S10 as wheeling rig itself is unique when everything else on the trail is either a raisined yota or a cookie cutter JK/JL.

I remember going to an event years ago and seeing a ford ranger that was built similar to all the cookie cutter yotas of the time period and thinking how neat it was. While it mimic'd the toyotas it simply wasn't a yota. It was different.

I went back and forth on whether or not to build at least the front half of the frame(I'm building most of the rear already) and keep the middle... but i didn't and now I'm sure you've seen it's pretty tall at 7'-3" roof line... going to be a big Ole girl:laughing:

I'm sure there is all kinds of shit in the way... even when you build a frame, there will be constraints to work within. I think it would be a nice place to start at this point in my build. I'm too far along to change now
(I might be getting buggy fever anyway:lmao:)

What you thinking for drive train... please don't say ls:flipoff2:
This is where you could be unique IMO
I am contemplating that as well.

LS, done

4bt, done

psyclone turbo 4.3, awesome...good luck finding one. Ebay/China turbo kit mine? :laughing: The heads flow terrible I hear.

Do you think that’s still the case with a 44 instead of a 60? I’m dreaming ahead for the next rig and thinking of an S10 that’s low, but I don’t have the skills do do a front half.

I am contemplating that as well.

LS, done

4bt, done

psyclone turbo 4.3, awesome...good luck finding one. Ebay/China turbo kit mine? :laughing: The heads flow terrible I hear.
Can you find decent aftermarket heads?
There is a company that specializes in vortec heads. I think it starts with an M. Anyway they might be a way to go. I'll try to dig up the name for you

Can you find decent aftermarket heads?
There is a company that specializes in vortec heads. I think it starts with an M. Anyway they might be a way to go. I'll try to dig up the name for you
I was reading about that. Last Article I read, seems the picking was few and far between. Basically port stock ones, add bigger valves and call it "meh"

Do you think that’s still the case with a 44 instead of a 60? I’m dreaming ahead for the next rig and thinking of an S10 that’s low, but I don’t have the skills do do a front half.
Yes IMO you'll have clearance issues with the pumpkin to frame. The steering could be an issue trying to tuck a drag link high and tight to keep good geometry as well. Maybe a few well placed notches will solve those issues. There will be more though. As you get the axle under it on the tires you'll start to see where the problems will be... especially once you start articulating it while steering.
You can sacrifice some bump travel for better ride height. Some guys are fine with 3", and i think it could be doable, but you'll want to be on hydraulic bumps for sure. 4" of bump was too little in my old full size... but it worked for crawling. All depends on use of course.

I was reading about that. Last Article I read, seems the picking was few and far between. Basically port stock ones, add bigger valves and call it "meh"
There are some performance gm heads out there if you're into going to the pnp to check part numbers... linked below is a good motortrend article with those numbers in it.
There seems to be a light aftermarket if you look for performance 4.3 liter heads on the web as well. I think you have more options then you know.

Does anyone have any detailed pics/specs of Walker Evans old full bodied looking IFS crawler before it was reconfigured?

The one shown is swapped back to Solid Axle

I always loved his truck. I had my first one at that time.

9794593.jpg
Evan kept saying it handled side hill sections poorly, went back to solid axle, Beams can also suck in those positions,

You're in the desert, 6L and all the wheel travel stat!

Evan kept saying it handled side hill sections poorly, went back to solid axle, Beams can also suck in those positions,

You're in the desert, 6L and all the wheel travel stat!
A few show up searching “walker evans rock spider.”

How about IFS with portals. It would allow you to keep the CV angles to a minimum. As for the v6...i always see them blown up. But they share the same architecture as a sbc so parts should be cheap and plentiful.

Front half the frame with newer 1500 zr2 bits, itll be a mile wide but still light and cheap to fix

Top Back Refresh