What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

What pisses me off the most is employers trying to say inflation isn't as bad as it really is to justify to themselves to pay people less. My employer for instance. After taking a promotion to a position that requires a little travel, they went back and "standardized" some things companywide and are trying to tell me I get $20/day meal per diem:mad3:, from $55/day in 2020. I'm so fucking pissed.

$20 for each meal? So $60 total?
I worked for a company that was $30 for the entire day! Mind you this was back in 2014-2015 but it was unreasonable even back then!

Play the game… stay at bed and breakfast places… have a real hearty meal to carry you through the day rolled into your overnight stay allowance… That’s what I did and I actually made money off them because I would eat at grocery stores so I could avoid fried bullshit

While I was out of town, I stopped at a wendys for a baconator, meat portion was the 80s junior size medium drink/frysTotal was almost $13.
This rip has made me rethink the old idea of bringing your food from home, every motel room has a microwave and fridge, might be worth exploring

This rip has made me rethink the old idea of bringing your food from home, every motel room has a microwave and fridge, might be worth exploring

During covid, we would hit the safeway or where ever and snag a $5 broaster chicken or a small ham, bagged salad, and a couple $2 bags of frozen veggies/stir fry whatevers. Could get 2 or 3 meals for about $12. Mix in some food ya made over the weekend and not only were we eating better than the crap you get outta a drivethrough. But we were also making money on what little per diem we were getting:smokin:

One of the other crews staying at that hotel stuck a crockpot in their room. They were cranking out some good meals too

When my dad was an electrician on the road my step mom would make meals and freeze them. he'd take them with him in a cooler and warm them up in a microwave he carried in the work truck. This was before a lot of motels had in room microwaves. or the places his boss put him up in didnt have them:confused:

What pisses me off the most is employers trying to say inflation isn't as bad as it really is to justify to themselves to pay people less. My employer for instance. After taking a promotion to a position that requires a little travel, they went back and "standardized" some things companywide and are trying to tell me I get $20/day meal per diem:mad3:, from $55/day in 2020. I'm so fucking pissed.
Where is Rockota to tell us how this is how it should be, as far as workers are concerned that is...

We were getting $35/day back in 2014 testing wireless for ATT.

Early on I showed my coworker how to buy in bulk at Walmart/Costco and save as much of per diem as possible :)
Like you I didn't feel it was that good a deal either...

Why don’t you quit and find a job that offers what you expect. Or, start your own business?

I used to be on the road 30-50 nights ayear. I did very well each year on taxes by keeping track of my miles and periderm rates based on where i stayed. Company only payed a bullshit $25 per day perdiem, national was $46 at the time and depending on what city in the chart it went up close to $100 per day. I kept careful records of where i stayed, how many nights, as well as fuel & miles travelled.

Trump fucked me out of that deduct, thankfully I left that job for better pay and regular schedule, I don't travel anymore. :flipoff:

When my dad was an electrician on the road my step mom would make meals and freeze them. he'd take them with him in a cooler and warm them up in a microwave he carried in the work truck. This was before a lot of motels had in room microwaves. or the places his boss put him up in didnt have them:confused:
Mom used to do that for me, stuff everything in the cooler for the trip, then into the freezer. Take something out to thaw during the day and nuke at night, I found premade slow cooker meals, made for a family was a weeks worth for me, use a cooker bag and easy clean up just toss in the trash. I have a big 12 fridge freezer good for long trips or brining groceries hom, I use it now as a secondary to take care of any oiver load, looking to purchase a smaller unit that I can carry on the seat for cold drinks and sandwich stuff
Had a really pissed off general one time when he walked in and the Mex sheetrock crew had used the fire place to make burritos! :laughing:

was talking to an employee @ TSC about their 75% off towing sale... he pointed out that a pack of 5 amp fuses costs over $8.00 now...

$20 for each meal? So $60 total?
I worked for a company that was $30 for the entire day! Mind you this was back in 2014-2015 but it was unreasonable even back then!

Play the game… stay at bed and breakfast places… have a real hearty meal to carry you through the day rolled into your overnight stay allowance… That’s what I did and I actually made money off them because I would eat at grocery stores so I could avoid fried bullshit
$20/day

Why don’t you quit and find a job that offers what you expect. Or, start your own business?
Working that direction. This company is paying for my 40hr PMP cert, so I want to make sure to take advantage of that prior to leaving.
I have an LLC already, (tractor work, snow removal, welding, firewood, handyman) I'm working on moving forward with expanding it. I'm done working for a larger companies.

I used to cook burgers, steaks and grilled cheese on the iron:laughing:
:grinpimp: Fawk yeah! those little tin trays from the dollar store are great for iron cooking or reheating leftovers.

1709668923071.png

1709668933551.png

are you staying overnight or is that for day trips?
Per day for meals. Yes, staying in company provided apartment. I think that's why they're doing it, they think I can cook my own meals for $20/day.
I went to Winco, bought as cheap as possible for myself for 3 days just yo see if I can do it. I eat only carnivore, so no top Ramen. $75 for meat (chuck steak), eggs, bacon, lunch meat, and cheese.

Top Back Refresh