What's new

Ford Bronco Release date set

Your getting older, and from what i gather dont have unlimited funds. I would think a reliable commuter that will make it in and out of 8 miles of messed up road would be #1 priority. Running a dirt rd hard constantly on 37s will result in it being a money pit of wear items. For $34000 you can get a base 4dr with good all terrains which seema like it would be the best bang for the buck.
I appreciate the answer.. the question is do other people agree with what he said?? especially the part about not running 37s or larger on a messed up road.. ??

the first half they just widened and finished paving a few weeks ago, but once it crosses what used to be a toll road, its dirt which often has bad ruts, cuz of all the truck traffic.. etc.. and we doubt it will ever get paved..

I appreciate the answer.. the question is do other people agree with what he said?? especially the part about not running 37s or larger on a messed up road.. ??

the first half they just widened and finished paving a few weeks ago, but once it crosses what used to be a toll road, its dirt which often has bad ruts, cuz of all the truck traffic.. etc.. and we doubt it will ever get paved..
Why not buy an F150 Raptor instead of the Bronco? You have a better chance of finding one of those for sale vs the new Bronco version that's going to be unobtanium for a few years. The F150 Raptor is also much less gay looking. :laughing:

The 2.7/6spd is a beast in our big F150. I know the specs are higher, but I'd guess it would be easy to get more out of the bronco with a tune if you really needed it. Id Imagine that smaller bronco will move well with either engine. But I'm used to 50 hp :laughing:

ForScan should be able to do that. If not now, in the near future.

Aaron Z
Over on Bronco6g there is a dedicated Forscan thread with a nice spreadsheet showing where everything is. Bonus you can use it to unlock all the goat modes on any model.

Yes do you have any idea what a set of 37's run for replacements? That's just one item that adds costs.

If you want comfort on a jacked up rough road do what all the ranchers here do, buy a buick. :laughing:

Yes do you have any idea what a set of 37's run for replacements? That's just one item that adds costs.

If you want comfort on a jacked up rough road do what all the ranchers here do, buy a buick. :laughing:
I had 37 inch SuperSwamperRadials.. on my F150..

I'd like to eventually end up with some 39.5s or so..

I had 37 inch SuperSwamperRadials.. on my F150..

I'd like to eventually end up with some 39.5s or so..

What about the cleanest low mile 97 f150 you can find since you know the trucks. Should be able to find a nice one for sub $5000. Throw your 39s or whatever on your play toy and buy a stock bronco for the commuter

Don't think a snorkel would of helped this one.
Screenshot_20220212-202804_Chrome.jpg

I got to play with the 2.3L 7 speed manual transmission one yesterday. First a disclaimer, y’all already know I’m a ferd fan. That said, this thing is cool as f@ck! It doesn’t have much low end grunt, which I wouldn’t expect out of a high rpm 4 cylinder. But the turbo comes on quick and after it gets to 2500 rpm it’s accelerating pretty good. It crawls around good though we haven’t taken it wheeling yet.

The screens in the dash are awesome, the camera system is sweet. In goat mode it gives you a 180 degree view forward and you can see both front tires on the screen. It’s cheating but as long as it works you can see any obstacle your trying to navigate without getting out. I like it, it’s a bummer we gotta take it apart and make a race car out of it. I hope we can get a 4 door Sasquatch for the wife’s DD one day. Visibility out of all the way around is substantially better than a JK/JL. Seats are Uber comfortable, great interior space for larger dudes.

What I don’t care for. The knobs. T-case shifter is a complicated multi position knob push button combo. Don’t care for it but being computer operated I doubt it can be replaced. I’d be concerned about the electronics long term, It’s a computer with wheels on it. I can’t find what axle gear ratio it has but not surprisingly it’s to high geared like it has to be 3 something. With the diff gears that are in it I’d want the lowest t-case gears possible. We’re going to 9” diffs in it with 5.40’s so the 2.72:1 t-case might be ok, time will tell.

I got to play with the 2.3L 7 speed manual transmission one yesterday. First a disclaimer, y’all already know I’m a ferd fan. That said, this thing is cool as f@ck! It doesn’t have much low end grunt, which I wouldn’t expect out of a high rpm 4 cylinder. But the turbo comes on quick and after it gets to 2500 rpm it’s accelerating pretty good. It crawls around good though we haven’t taken it wheeling yet.
Is it worse at idle than a V6 RBV (yes I know that's much lower power but also much lower weight)?

Can you just idle in traffic without doing bad thigns to the clutch or do you have to gas it to start from a stop?

The screens in the dash are awesome, the camera system is sweet. In goat mode it gives you a 180 degree view forward and you can see both front tires on the screen. It’s cheating but as long as it works you can see any obstacle your trying to navigate without getting out. I like it, it’s a bummer we gotta take it apart and make a race car out of it. I hope we can get a 4 door Sasquatch for the wife’s DD one day. Visibility out of all the way around is substantially better than a JK/JL. Seats are Uber comfortable, great interior space for larger dudes.

What I don’t care for. The knobs. T-case shifter is a complicated multi position knob push button combo. Don’t care for it but being computer operated I doubt it can be replaced. I’d be concerned about the electronics long term, It’s a computer with wheels on it. I can’t find what axle gear ratio it has but not surprisingly it’s to high geared like it has to be 3 something. With the diff gears that are in it I’d want the lowest t-case gears possible. We’re going to 9” diffs in it with 5.40’s so the 2.72:1 t-case might be ok, time will tell.

Are you sure its a 2.72 tcase? I am pretty sure all of the badlands models got the 3.0xx whatever it is case, I know the one i still have on order is almost identical to what you received. 2 door badlands, non sasquatch, 12" screen, 7speed manual, etc. It is 4.70's in the diffs, and 3.0x t case. Before my drivetrain swap in my FJ80 it was going to have almost double the crawl ratio which i found hilarious. I know its not a huge difference, but every bit helps.

Is it worse at idle than a V6 RBV (yes I know that's much lower power but also much lower weight)?

Can you just idle in traffic without doing bad thigns to the clutch or do you have to gas it to start from a stop?
It idles around just fine and doesn’t seem that easy to stall. If your idling (700 rpm) in gear and stomp on the gas pedal it doesn’t just launch though. As it’s accelerating off the bottom you can tell it’s out of its power range until it hits about 2000 rpm then the squirrels come to life. From 2000 to 2500 rpm it’s building turbo boost and by 2500 rpm it’s pulling hard.

On flat ground I experimented with taking off in different gears without revving it up. It feels like it might be giving the DBW a little motivation for you when you start to release the clutch. I made it take off in 1st and high range, wheels turned full lock with the rear locker engaged and I couldn’t stall it. Drag it down with the brake pedal till it’s chugging and as soon as you let up on the brakes it snaps right back.

That can fit in the front crossmember/cradle/whatever's up there?
Yes. The fun haver guys already have that part solved. We’ll have to run a spidertrax housing up front but they have it ironed out already, basically a bolt in housing with the correct length shafts and CV flanges for the suspension geometry. Then we’ll run our good ol RUFFSTUFF chunk of iron for a rear axle.

Are you sure its a 2.72 tcase? I am pretty sure all of the badlands models got the 3.0xx whatever it is case, I know the one i still have on order is almost identical to what you received. 2 door badlands, non sasquatch, 12" screen, 7speed manual, etc. It is 4.70's in the diffs, and 3.0x t case. Before my drivetrain swap in my FJ80 it was going to have almost double the crawl ratio which i found hilarious. I know its not a huge difference, but every bit helps.
I need to look closer to verify but it feels to me like there’s no way it’s that low. Granny low doesn’t feel as low in high range as I anticipated it would feel like.

I know on the non sasquatch badlands the 4.7 gears in the diffs are a no cost option. I would have just assumed ford would have used that for a press vehicle to make the little 2.3 feel as peppy as possible for those reviewing it. Maybe not though.

Weirdest question you’re going to get, but what are the plans for air filtration? How do you plan on letting that little turbo breath enough and not get eaten alive by all the moon dust in JV?

I thought that’s why everyone ran the biggest cube ls engines they could afford instead of forced induction.
Air filter ducted inside the cab with us is our go to. I ran a supercharged car in the past and having the air filter under the dash solved that issue. I want to keep the HVAC but dad wants to gut absolutely every screw we can remove for weight loss.
I'm also curious about the electric shifting for racing? I mean it should work as stock, but I'd think a lever would be better?
The other Geiser builds got atlas’s in them. We might end up going that route as well

Air filter ducted inside the cab with us is our go to. I ran a supercharged car in the past and having the air filter under the dash solved that issue. I want to keep the HVAC but dad wants to gut absolutely every screw we can remove for weight loss.

Seems an advantage open top rigs have is they can run no top, no windshield and minimal doors. Not sure what hvac does at that point.

The other Geiser builds got atlas’s in them. We might end up going that route as well

Seems like a smart way to go I guess. Although I'm not very familiar with the bronco tcase. Is NP type or something way different?

Top Back Refresh