What's new

Ford Bronco Release date set

Don't be dumb, no one can see inside your differential in traffic, but how 'bout them bright red tow hooks! Everyone gonna know you're all about that off-road life with those hanging out front.
To be fair to GM… the new tundra has no tow hooks.

But GM has won the battle on the offset steering wheel war.

Looks like the wife might have her's for Christmas.
Screenshot_20210930-114239_Gmail.jpg

Austin deleted everyone's posts yesterday, so I'll post this up again :flipoff2:

Here's some pictures from a new Bronco owner that was wheeling out in Katemcy :laughing:

25f13ffc-fb75-4de4-8182-585d66216392-jpeg.jpg

05461fb2-97b2-481a-9a89-9aba2fb0a502-jpeg.jpg

7d363d49-4172-456a-9d5a-1784543d0bab-jpeg.jpg

Apparently it took out the rack as well as the tierods, and the Ford dealership denied the warranty claim because it had too many scratches underneath :homer:

If you can stand to read through all the stupid comments, here's the thread about it: Details & update for 2021 Bronco Badlands with steering rack failure on King of the Hill K2 Trail

Austin deleted everyone's posts yesterday, so I'll post this up again :flipoff2:

Here's some pictures from a new Bronco owner that was wheeling out in Katemcy :laughing:

25f13ffc-fb75-4de4-8182-585d66216392-jpeg.jpg

05461fb2-97b2-481a-9a89-9aba2fb0a502-jpeg.jpg

7d363d49-4172-456a-9d5a-1784543d0bab-jpeg.jpg

Apparently it took out the rack as well as the tierods, and the Ford dealership denied the warranty claim because it had too many scratches underneath :homer:

If you can stand to read through all the stupid comments, here's the thread about it: Details & update for 2021 Bronco Badlands with steering rack failure on King of the Hill K2 Trail

Ford sure seems to be getting really ****y with their warranty denials. :shaking:

According to this article Ford is already on it with a severe duty rack and pinion. Guessing it should be standard on some of the packages.

Ford Bronco at SEMA reveals new Ford Performance Parts and six SEMA builds

Ford Performance is treating the Ford Bronco to a bevy of new off-road parts at SEMA this year. Plus, Ford just released a big information dump on all of the Bronco and Bronco Sport builds it’s bringing to the SEMA show happening in November.

We’ll start with the parts you’ll soon be able to buy for your new Bronco. The list starts with a new Ford Performance front drive unit that supports up to a 5.38:1 gearset for even greater off-road performance. Next, Ford Performance is offering a “severe-duty” steering rack and tie rod ends for better steering durability under high loads. New 17-inch Method Race Wheels (bead lock capable) are also being offered through Ford Performance. And lastly, a Ford Performance tune for the 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder is being made available. Since it’s a Ford Performance tune, you get to keep your warranty. However, Ford hasn’t detailed what the tune’s performance gains net you yet.

According to this article Ford is already on it with a severe duty rack and pinion. Guessing it should be standard on some of the packages.

Ford Performance is treating the Ford Bronco to a bevy of new off-road parts at SEMA this year. Plus, Ford just released a big information dump on all of the Bronco and Bronco Sport builds it’s bringing to the SEMA show happening in November.

We’ll start with the parts you’ll soon be able to buy for your new Bronco. The list starts with a new Ford Performance front drive unit that supports up to a 5.38:1 gearset for even greater off-road performance. Next, Ford Performance is offering a “severe-duty” steering rack and tie rod ends for better steering durability under high loads. New 17-inch Method Race Wheels (bead lock capable) are also being offered through Ford Performance. And lastly, a Ford Performance tune for the 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder is being made available. Since it’s a Ford Performance tune, you get to keep your warranty. However, Ford hasn’t detailed what the tune’s performance gains net you yet.
'
:French taunter accent: Vuuuuura intra-stang🤔 :French taunter accent:

I am bettng it is just the rack and tie rods out of the upcoming Bronco Raptor which is going to have 37s from the factory. It is good they are going to offer something, but it is BS in my mind that they recognize the steering is a weak point and want to charge customers separately for the fix instead of fixing it at the factory :shaking:

I am bettng it is just the rack and tie rods out of the upcoming Bronco Raptor which is going to have 37s from the factory. It is good they are going to offer something, but it is BS in my mind that they recognize the steering is a weak point and want to charge customers separately for the fix instead of fixing it at the factory :shaking:
Do you or anyone know if ALL Bronco variants are getting the same rack and pinion set up???:confused:

Because isn't there a VERY SPECIFIC off-road set up Bronco offered from the factory??

I would expect a beefier rack and pinion set up on that model.

Do you or anyone know if ALL Bronco variants are getting the same rack and pinion set up???:confused:

Because isn't there a VERY SPECIFIC off-road set up Bronco offered from the factory??

I would expect a beefier rack and pinion set up on that model.
This was a "Badlands" model, which is the most offroad-oriented trim you can buy. It doesn't appear to have originally been a "Sasquatch package," but all that really means on a Badlands is that it came with 33s instead of 35s since the Badlands trim already has everything else that comes with a Sasquatch and more.
I don't imagine there are different steering racks since that wouldn't make much sense from a manufacturing perspective, and I certainly haven't read anything about that being the case. I was just speculating that the forthcoming "severe duty" rack and tie rods are what will be on the Bronco Raptor that is coming soon. It is going to have 37s from the factory and presumably much more travel and power, so I think it is a fair assumption that Ford may have beefed up the rack for the Raptor model since the normal rack is obviously marginal.

I bet they spent weeks running over curbs when testing, but none offroad.
To the Ford team's credit, they did some testing out a Johnson valley during development with some of the pro Ultra4 drivers Ford is sponsoring. They also ran them through the Rubicon, Moab, and Holy Cross before production models started shipping out.

However, I think the Bronco got a bit off track from the "beat the Wrangler" mantra with Ford's push for greater mass appeal than the Wrangler.

This was a "Badlands" model, which is the most offroad-oriented trim you can buy. It doesn't appear to have originally been a "Sasquatch package," but all that really means on a Badlands is that it came with 33s instead of 35s since the Badlands trim already has everything else that comes with a Sasquatch and more.
I don't imagine there are different steering racks since that wouldn't make much sense from a manufacturing perspective, and I certainly haven't read anything about that being the case. I was just speculating that the forthcoming "severe duty" rack and tie rods are what will be on the Bronco Raptor that is coming soon. It is going to have 37s from the factory and presumably much more travel and power, so I think it is a fair assumption that Ford may have beefed up the rack for the Raptor model since the normal rack is obviously marginal.
Maybe I shouldn't compare, but I guess I am...

I closely followed the Toyota FJ Cruiser development; even signed up and got update-literature.

Toyota really took their test-rigs off road during it's development and publicized it.

I remember when they finally started producing them, the biggest public complaint from day one was the ultra-shitty visibility while in the vehicle (followed by the lack of a soft top.).

In stock form; I don't remember them breaking going through Moab.

The aftermarket industry quickly produced lift kits to fit 35"/37" tires, all the while using the factory rack and pinion (for example).

Maybe I shouldn't compare, but I guess I am...

I closely followed the Toyota FJ Cruiser development; even signed up and got update-literature.

Toyota really took their test-rigs off road during it's development and publicized it.

I remember when they finally started producing them, the biggest public complaint from day one was the ultra-shitty visibility while in the vehicle (followed by the lack of a soft top.).

In stock form; I don't remember them breaking going through Moab.

The aftermarket industry quickly produced lift kits to fit 35"/37" tires, all the while using the factory rack and pinion (for example).
I had about 150k miles between a couple fj cruisers while doing Toyota projects. Ran Katempcy multiple times, along with Moab, Tellico, Rousch Creek and Rubicon. We wore out a couple inner tie rod ends, but never broke one.

We also were on 33’s, not 37’s.

Heres some pics i took of the front end. I still say its all adequate and that person just found the limits for what they are doing.

I am just guessing based on the scale from pictures I've seen, but the threaded portion of those tie rods is what, maybe 1/2"/13mm? You think that is adequate? It seems to me that tie rod failure is pretty common with the IFS rigs I have been on the trail with. For reference, I went and measured the size of the tie rod at the threads (smallest diameter) on my parts Bronco II with the factory steering linkage. It was about 7/8", and this is a vehicle that weighs ~3,400Lbs and came with 27" tires stock :laughing: Not to mention it only had 115-140 horsepower and a Dana 28 front end with a sub 7" ring gear and stub shafts less than 1" in diameter. It seems like a ~4,500+Lbs. rig that comes from the factory with 35" tires, a front locker, and much more power and gearing should have steering linkage at least that big :homer:

IMG_5877.JPG

An obvious question is obvious....

I would love to know the backstory of that breakage.

What was he/she/it/non-binary/etc doing?

Read the link to the thread at the end of my post if you want more information. As I said, he was wheeling at Katemcy, no mention of any extenuating circumstances causing the breakage.

I had about 150k miles between a couple fj cruisers while doing Toyota projects. Ran Katempcy multiple times, along with Moab, Tellico, Rousch Creek and Rubicon. We wore out a couple inner tie rod ends, but never broke one.

We also were on 33’s, not 37’s.

Here's an FJ Cruiser I ran with earlier this year that took out both tie rods on 35" tires:
Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 2.43.26 PM.png

Here's an FJ Cruiser that was on 33" tires I wheeled with a while ago that broke an aftermarket set up:
IMG_1507.jpg

FJ cruiser never had a front locker.

In the article, it looks like they broke while cresting a breakover, tires grabbed and wanted to (and did) go forward :laughing: couldn't really do that with an open front.

An obvious question is obvious....

I would love to know the backstory of that breakage.

What was he/she/it/non-binary/etc doing?
Video on the bronco forum. Was climbing a rock/wall at katemcy, spun/bounced and pop

This has got to be one of the biggest pile of shit rigs to be released in years that blasphemes it's very name sake.

Damned near impossible to get.

Top doesn't fit worth a shit IF you can get it.

Independent suspension that is inherently fragile to top it off.

It's like the trifecta of fail all wrapped up in one decent looking package. It's like ford saw the H2 and said hold my beer. 🤣

This has got to be one of the biggest pile of shit rigs to be released in years that blasphemes it's very name sake.

Damned near impossible to get.

Top doesn't fit worth a shit IF you can get it.

Independent suspension that is inherently fragile to top it off.

It's like the trifecta of fail all wrapped up in one decent looking package. It's like ford saw the H2 and said hold my beer. 🤣
You sound like one of them mother fuckers that never owned/ used/ wheeled a ttb Bronco and dealt with all the bullshit that went along with owning/ using/ wheeling a ttb Bronco.

:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh