What's new

Fireball releases a giant vise - the Hardtail

Can you post your parts list?

I am ordering my stuff shortly, you've already done the work, so I am happy to plagiarize. :flipoff2:
I just copy/pasted the numbers off the fireball plans in to McMaster and put them in my cart. I'll have to copy it from my work computer....can't get in to my mcmaster account here for some reason. :homer:

I like the new hinge he made for the vise, and I like how the screw fits into the round cutouts in the slot to guarantee the thing won't move (doesn't have to rely on the screws being stupid tight).

Anyway, just a though I had was to add more of those round cutouts, (see below). I realize that 90 and 0 would be used most of the time, but 45 and maybe 30, 60 degrees would sometimes get used.

Best part is that it doesn't cost anything extra.

fireball!.png

I'm not a huge fan of that hinge mount tbh. The whole thing hinges off of a single 1/2" bolt? The plates are significant but it seems like a single half inch bolt wouldn't be sturdy enough.

I'm not a huge fan of that hinge mount tbh. The whole thing hinges off of a single 1/2" bolt? The plates are significant but it seems like a single half inch bolt wouldn't be sturdy enough.
As I understand, shear is about 60% of tensile strength, proof load on a 1/2-20 G8 bolt is 19,200# (per: Proof Load Tensil Strength For Grade 2, 5, & 8 tensile is about 24k), that translates to 11,520# in single shear and 23,040# in double shear (not counting any clamping load).
If you are putting more than 23,040# on the vice on your workbench, you need to get a bigger vice.

Aaron Z

Can someone PM me a print for the jaw bolt pattern and size. Want to come up with some options for jaws

Can someone PM me a print for the jaw bolt pattern and size. Want to come up with some options for jaws
There isn't one. It's whatever we want. The plans just call for bar stock, that is tapped for the jaws.

There is a drawing of the Wilton jaws, linked a few pages back.

As I understand, shear is about 60% of tensile strength, proof load on a 1/2-20 G8 bolt is 19,200# (per: Proof Load Tensil Strength For Grade 2, 5, & 8 tensile is about 24k), that translates to 11,520# in single shear and 23,040# in double shear (not counting any clamping load).
If you are putting more than 23,040# on the vice on your workbench, you need to get a bigger vice.

Aaron Z
How much does it deform before shearing?

Hi

I also would like one of the kits. When do we think they will be available, Cost, what is included and what needs to be sourced separately. Where do we sign up / deposit / options etc.

Kevin

I think this needs a bottle opener on it, somewhere.

I normally use the square edge and whack the cap off method, but a real bottle opener would be nice.

I think I have the .dxf for that part kicking around somewhere! :laughing:

Gtf bottle openers.jpg

I would be in for a kit as well.

Update:

Should have 10 kits of all the flat parts cut out and boxed up ready to go next weekend.

Will include 2 movable jaws, 2 fixed jaws, 1 fixed base, 1 handle(will need some fitting to fit your nut), 1 fixed jaw end cap, and internal brace(will need to be drilled and tapped to your front cover plate). These will be $100 shipped in a flat rate box.

You will still need:

all three Tubes, front cover, 2 jaw holders and the McMaster parts to complete

I am getting a quote from the steel shop to have the 3 tubes cut to size. I’ll have a price on Monday for these. These will have to go ups and it is roughly 30-40$ to ship because of the size/weight. I’ll have to clean the weld out for the inside to nest them to fit in a box.

I am getting a quote from the steel yard to burn out some swivel vise bases out of 1.125 plate. Too think for home shop plasmas.

I can make the front covers and jaw holders but it will take me a while. This is my busy time of year. Once the snow flies I can machine a bunch of this stuff. There are a few other guys here that could possibly do this also.

I am going to make myself a swivel base. These might get kinda expensive because of the stupid steel prices. Once I get a quote on the cut out I’ll machine one for myself and see how long it takes me to get it to work.

I’ll try and go through the thread this week and pm the guys that said they would be interested to see if they are still in.

Interested in a kit, no tubes. I can source local.

No swivel, but a tilt like the recent video would be more useful

I may be able to make front covers, jaw holders and jaws. Going to depend on how work is looking for the next few months.

Update:

Should have 10 kits of all the flat parts cut out and boxed up ready to go next weekend.

Will include 2 movable jaws, 2 fixed jaws, 1 fixed base, 1 handle(will need some fitting to fit your nut), 1 fixed jaw end cap, and internal brace(will need to be drilled and tapped to your front cover plate). These will be $100 shipped in a flat rate box.

You will still need:

all three Tubes, front cover, 2 jaw holders and the McMaster parts to complete

I am getting a quote from the steel shop to have the 3 tubes cut to size. I’ll have a price on Monday for these. These will have to go ups and it is roughly 30-40$ to ship because of the size/weight. I’ll have to clean the weld out for the inside to nest them to fit in a box.

I am getting a quote from the steel yard to burn out some swivel vise bases out of 1.125 plate. Too think for home shop plasmas.

I can make the front covers and jaw holders but it will take me a while. This is my busy time of year. Once the snow flies I can machine a bunch of this stuff. There are a few other guys here that could possibly do this also.

I am going to make myself a swivel base. These might get kinda expensive because of the stupid steel prices. Once I get a quote on the cut out I’ll machine one for myself and see how long it takes me to get it to work.

I’ll try and go through the thread this week and pm the guys that said they would be interested to see if they are still in.
You are fucking awesome, thank you.

I have zero use for a vise this size, probably never will, can't weld it, don't have time to fab it, and somehow the kit is still in the back of my head. Got to be like what Grendel said, fawking cool this group is coming together to make it happen while respecting the IP of Fireball at the same time.

good stuff guys :smokin: GarageJournal talks about buying one, Irate gets a team together to build them themselves:grinpimp:

Sounds like we are over ten. I’ll grab more steel this weekend and make a bunch more. This week has been shit so far msha has been here 2 days allready. Didn’t get anything done with him around.

I’ll grab the tubing also. Tubing will be around $100 also +shipping. Steel is stupidly priced right now. I don’t have a feeling it will be getting any better anytime soon :(.

I’m having them cut a few swivel bases out this week. Will have to make a fixture to mount it on the lathe to cut the tapers. This will be out a little while.

Grendel did you happen to order the stuff from McMaster yet? I would like to get a measurement of the nut. For some reason the one I built used a 1 5/8 nut the picture you sent was of 1.5”.

Question to discuss.

The swivel base in order to achieve the highest clamping force per amount of force applied by the two clamp bolts. What should the angle be between the base and swivel plates.

My gut says a angle steeper than 45 degrees. Too steep and it will want to stick? Most of the engineering I learned has been forgotten and turned into gut instincts lol.

Question to discuss.

The swivel base in order to achieve the highest clamping force per amount of force applied by the two clamp bolts. What should the angle be between the base and swivel plates.

My gut says a angle steeper than 45 degrees. Too steep and it will want to stick? Most of the engineering I learned has been forgotten and turned into gut instincts lol.

For an engagement surface that is not very long relative to circumference I would not be worried about sticking at all until you start getting into stupidly long tapers where you're basically flexing the socket and creating a press fit.

Here's a thread with some math.

I would just try to avoid having it self lock with its own weight. Anyone assembling this can drill a hole and weld on a nut for a jack bolt to pop it out if it becomes an issue or take a punch and leave some apprentice marks on the surface to reduce the effectiveness of the lock.

I’ll look up the part numbers and verify the drawings from McMaster. Wanted to cheat by having grendal measure them lol.
Can Grendal measure em? I can't... not yet. :flipoff2:

Was waiting to get the kits in hand before I ordered/fabricated anything.

I’ll look up the part numbers and verify the drawings from McMaster. Wanted to cheat by having grendal measure them lol.

A standard 1"-8 hex is 1.5" wide. If you go acme, it'll be 1-5/8". The original plans call for standard threaded rod and nuts. I plan to go with acme and I think Grendel said he was too.

I'd think if you made it for the acme size, that 1/8" extra wouldn't matter if someone when to standard thread instead.

I am still waiting on a reply as to how to get on the list, what options are available, shipping ect. Sent PF a message to start the dialogue.

Top Back Refresh