What's new

Fireball releases a giant vise - the Hardtail

Saw this one on Reddit when I was searching the other day. Don't care about the bling but I like the idea of the anvil plate on the back tube.

maxresdefault.jpg

Saw this one on Reddit when I was searching the other day. Don't care about the bling but I like the idea of the anvil plate on the back tube.

maxresdefault.jpg
I probably have a 5/8 or 3/4 chunk of 450 hardox laying around I could cut a piece for a anvil out of .

We need to find the screw parts and also seamless tube.
I made a broach? I guess you would call it using a piece of HSS and the rod I bought for the vise to scrape out the seam in the 3" square tube It worked really well. Based on the video below.

What's the jaw opening length on these?
Mine "the janky grinder cut one on the wood bench" is right around 12"

wait $150 for a full kit that I put together to make
Keep in mind that the picture you quoted is of my vise made from scratch with no plans from fireball ThePanzerFuhrer is putting together a kit more based on the fireball plans and he posted a picture of the vise he has already made. One of the major differences is I used square tubing instead of rectangle because I was able to find drops at the local steel supplier.

maxresdefault.jpg
I like the moving jaw leg for beating the crap out of the part without worry

Keep in mind that the picture you quoted is of my vise made from scratch with no plans from fireball ThePanzerFuhrer is putting together a kit more based on the fireball plans and he posted a picture of the vise he has already made. One of the major differences is I used square tubing instead of rectangle because I was able to find drops at the local steel supplier.

I gotcha. Still not bad.

I’ll work on this this weekend. Looks like there is enough interest. Grendel sent me his dxf. I’ll look it over and might make some slight adjustments in order to improve it from my first one. I’ll get some 1/2 t1 drops this week from the steel yard.

I’ll put my brothers brand new cnc plasma system to the test.

Depending on steel cost should be around 125-150 + flat rate box for a set.
i maybe interested in one kit if its do able

:)

Ground and tapped jaw plates would be tits.

Not sure we need heat treating?

I am working to modify the model for a swivel base now.
no need my big ass table has castors i think i am liking the idea of no swivel cant stand it when mine moves when i am wrenching on some shit i should not be... ahhah

Mount it on a vertical square tube. How often do you really use anything other than 0 and +/-90?
Yup.

I got no use for swivel. They never seem to lock hard enough to not turn.

I've made hitch-mount vices with multiple bolt patterns so the vise can be unbolted and rotated if needed.

I have an idea for a indexing/drop-pin style base. Something like a bottom ring with 10 or 15 degree indexing holes and the vise would have spring-loaded pin that you could drop in to lock rotation, and still have a clamping bolt to take care or any slop in tolerance. I'll have to check my pile of stock and see if I have any rounds big enough to work.

What’s the drawback of making the throat taller to be able to grip bigger stuff?

I use the swivel on my Wilson all the time.

I use the swivel on my Wilson all the time.
yep so does the local shop, lots of notching tube with a grinder after it's bent, rotate so it's easy to work on, rotate to hold drive shafts, 100's of ways to use it. I think most just don't know. I'm looking for a good swivel vise as well, with a good screw it should lock tight easily.

I, for one, am impressed that was done "by hand". It'd take me 500 years to make something look half as good building like you did.

Went shopping today at my favorite store!

1B9C3B1F-85E6-42D4-9EB6-E6986AB7241A.jpeg

I inquired on what a 4x8 sheet of a36 1/2” was and that was a big fuck no. Over $1000 for a sheet. Went outside and found some 1/2” t1 plate drops for way less.
I'm jealous. I have an Alro "Supermarket" near me. Stopped today to see if they have any drops that would work for the center tubes. Not really.

Their prices are up 25% from last year. $1.25/lb for steel. $3.50 for AL on drops. Didn't even bother to ask what new prices are.

Gonna hit my favorite scrap yard tomorrow and see what they have. I know they'll have some beefy square or rectangular tube. I might end up having to make my vise REALLY overkill depending what they have on the ground.

What are the sizes for the center tubes? They have a shit ton of rectangle tube laying in back.

Major Parts of the build
Fixed Jaw
Fixed Jaw Side Support (2x)
Fixed Jaw Tube Body, 4” x 3” (1x)
Round Tubing for Threaded Rod, 1.75” (1x)
Fixed Tube Body End Cap (1x)
Vise Base (1x)
Moving Jaw
Moving Jaw Side Support (2x)
Moving Jaw Tube (1x)
Tube Cap Support Tab (1x) (The front jaw end cap bolts onto this)
Front Jaw End Cap (1x) (The all thread, thrust bearings, washers, and extra nuts all get
installed onto this piece)
Jaw Support Blocks
Jaw Support Block (2x) Same for Fixed and Moving jaws.
Soft Jaw Insert (2x) Same for Fixed and Moving jaws.

Looks like 4"x3" and something that will fit tight into it.
4x3 1/4" wall for the outer piece and 2.5x3.5 for the inner. 20" long for the outer and 22" for the inner.

My place had plenty of 4x3 but that inner is not going to be as common and will be $$ to get a single short piece cut.

I checked metal supermarkets and they're like $75 for a 24" piece, picked up at the store nearest me (raliegh). 4 pieces dropped the price to like $55 each.

Really, you can use any size you want if you can find sizes that will nest. You could go up to 5" wide on the outer tube and still make 6" jaws work. Or it'd also let you bump up to 8" jaws.

I used the sizes specified and they are plenty stout enough. I bent a 5” wide 1” thick piece of steel in mine.

The McMaster jaws showed up today. Sunday I should have time to get the dxfs done and get all the side parts cut out.

I’ll make 10 sets right away and more if needed. Next week I can dig around at the steel yard to see if they have surplus tubes. Prolly be kinda expensive to ship but they only charge .40/# for that stuff.

The nesting tube sizes thing was always going to be an issue with the fireball design.

I used 3" square 1/4" wall with 2-1/2" square 1/4" wall inside. The nut inside is welded to a piece of 2" OD 1/4" wall round tube that extends to the rear. It all fits like a glove.

If you got plates meant for 3" tall tubing with these sizes you would just have a deeper throat or you could trim to fit.

cutting a piece of the 4x3 into a 3-1/2x2-1/2 is a bit of work but totally doable if you want to put in the time.

The nesting tube sizes thing was always going to be an issue with the fireball design.

I used 3" square 1/4" wall with 2-1/2" square 1/4" wall inside. The nut inside is welded to a piece of 2" OD 1/4" wall round tube that extends to the rear. It all fits like a glove.

If you got plates meant for 3" tall tubing with these sizes you would just have a deeper throat or you could trim to fit.

cutting a piece of the 4x3 into a 3-1/2x2-1/2 is a bit of work but totally doable if you want to put in the time.
I’m pretty sure I got a 2.5X3.5 out of the surplus yard for my vise. But a 2.5 square shouldn’t be hard to find either.

I love my steel yard. Made a call they stock the 3.5x2.5 1/4” wall 14.75 a foot. That’s new price. It would be way cheaper if I go digging in the surplus row.

I love my steel yard. Made a call they stock the 3.5x2.5 1/4” wall 14.75 a foot. That’s new price. It would be way cheaper if I go digging in the surplus row.
Yes, please :flipoff2:

Even new is cheap enough.

Yes, please :flipoff2:

Even new is cheap enough.

If you're willing to ship, I'd definitely be in for the tubes too. I'll hit my scrap yard tomorrow but it's unlikely they'll have the right sizes.

Top Back Refresh