What's new

Fireball releases a giant vise - the Hardtail

budget76

Thread Killer
Member Number
Loc
Hartford, CT
no post yet?

I have no practical use, but this thing looks pretty slick Fireball Hardtail Vise Deposit for Pre-Order (USA Only)

GJ started talking about it, a couple guys put down the deposit Fireball Tool Hardtail Vise - The Best Vise On The Market???

PT04__35035.1632953733.jpg

Honestly not a bad price for a huge, USA made vise. The biggest Wilton bullet runs north of $3,500 and doesn't open as wide. McMaster has a us-made 8x12 that's $2200.

Gonna have to try to justify buying one, but I'm close. He's got a bunch of other cool shit that I've been close to pulling the trigger on too.

That's badass. He seems to be able to manufacture stuff in the US and price things reasonably, i would like to see a video from him about how he does that.

I built a version of his fabricated vise already, I definitely have less than $1500 in it so that is always an option for those who do not want to drop the cash.
QAUU8490.jpg

That's badass. He seems to be able to manufacture stuff in the US and price things reasonably, i would like to see a video from him about how he does that.

I built a version of his fabricated vise already, I definitely have less than $1500 in it so that is always an option for those who do not want to drop the cash.
QAUU8490.jpg
Yeah I built the same one. Absolutely awesome vise. I have beat the hell out of mine and it operates like new. Gonna make a larger version here someday.

QAUU8490.jpg

This is the most badass thing I've seen today.

One of you bastards with a waterjet or plasma table wanna make a parts kit for one of those? ^^

Yeah, you could cut them out with a grinder, but that'll always look like you cut them out with a grinder. I could probably contour them on my CNC mill, but it'd probably take a couple hours per piece.

One of you bastards with a waterjet or plasma table wanna make a parts kit for one of those? ^^

Yeah, you could cut them out with a grinder, but that'll always look like you cut them out with a grinder. I could probably contour them on my CNC mill, but it'd probably take a couple hours per piece.
I'm surprised there aren't "just add your own square tube and screw" kits on eBay. Would be easy money for anyone with a CNC plasma. Just wait until an order comes in and then cut one out.

QAUU8490.jpg

I ripped a chunk out of a wood workbench out with less of a vice, so I feel bad for that bench with that monster on it..

I'm surprised there aren't "just add your own square tube and screw" kits on eBay. Would be easy money for anyone with a CNC plasma. Just wait until an order comes in and then cut one out.
Yeah...you could fit all the fab'd plates in a flat rate box. Add a couple pieces of tube, a screw and some hardware to finish it off. I'd buy a set if they were available.

Sounds

Sounds like a job for @swagoffroad
I doubt Jason/Fireball will want anyone selling them commercially, but a few of us paying another member some beer money for their machine time is probably safe. :laughing:

I ordered the plans. Once I actually get them, I'll draw them up in cad and see what a few of the big companies would charge to cut them. I just made a quick drawing of one of the side plates, just guessing at dimensions and called it 1/" thick.. Oshcut quoted about $60 per side. I'm guessing it'd run about $3-500 or so to get them all cut out of 1/2" or maybe 3/4". But that's on their laser which is entirely overkill for this.

I think there are a couple small shops near me that have smaller tables. Once I get it drawn up I'll see what they'll charge.

I doubt Jason/Fireball will want anyone selling them commercially, but a few of us paying another member some beer money for their machine time is probably safe. :laughing:

I ordered the plans. Once I actually get them, I'll draw them up in cad and see what a few of the big companies would charge to cut them. I just made a quick drawing of one of the side plates, just guessing at dimensions and called it 1/" thick.. Oshcut quoted about $60 per side. I'm guessing it'd run about $3-500 or so to get them all cut out of 1/2" or maybe 3/4". But that's on their laser which is entirely overkill for this.

I think there are a couple small shops near me that have smaller tables. Once I get it drawn up I'll see what they'll charge.
Let me know, I have either laser and waterjet that can cut that.

BTW, you download the plans immediately after purchase. I just did.

Last edited:

Oh I see, I didn't realize there where plans and I imagine you are right.
Surprising he doesn't offer kits actually.

Symmetrical parts would be super easy to clean up if flame or plasma cut. That should lower the price substantially.

Not exactly hard to come up with your own plans just by looking at the thing.

If Swag doesn't do it someone in China will. That's just the nature of the industry.

I (and a lot of other people) would never even considerin buying plans for something like that because without plans I can cater to the materials I already have lying around and substantially reduce cost in the process.

Let me know, I have either laser and waterjet that can cut that.

BTW, you download the plans immediately after purchase. I just did.
Where'd you find the download link? I logged in and can see my purchase but no place to actually pull the file....

I should have the dxfs I used to make mine. I could probably run a few batches of parts for you guys. Might take a few weeks to get my shit together. If there was enough interest I would modify it to make v2 a little more reach and width. This one is 3-4 years old. As you can tell I beat the hell out of it.

There is some machining involved for the replaceable jaws and both ends of the screw.

1B472C18-8422-4AE1-A74C-784DAAB8BE1F.jpeg

I'd be interested in the parts to build one.

I ripped a chunk out of a wood workbench out with less of a vice, so I feel bad for that bench with that monster on it..
That bench is gone now, not due to being ripped apart by the vise, i was just done with it. :lmao:

The vise lives on this table now. The mounting pattern was designed to fit on a 5/8" hole X 2" grid.
IMG_0689.JPG

Yeah, you could cut them out with a grinder, but that'll always look like you cut them out with a grinder.
I feel attacked:lmao:

There is some machining involved for the replaceable jaws and both ends of the screw.
On the other hand I have zero machine tools, just welder, grinder, portaband and drill press. Could have been much cleaner with at least a lathe. I just bought some hardened jaws. One thing I did not think about is welding in a support under the jaws, If I was to really pound on something the screws and the jaw pressure itself are the only things holding in shear. I may go back and fix that someday.

I feel attacked:lmao:

On the other hand I have zero machine tools, just welder, grinder, portaband and drill press. Could have been much cleaner with at least a lathe. I just bought some hardened jaws. One thing I did not think about is welding in a support under the jaws, If I was to really pound on something the screws and the jaw pressure itself are the only things holding in shear. I may go back and fix that someday.
That’s what I did was machine a seat for the jaws to sit on.

Can I get a Link to the jaws you bought?

I'd be interested in the parts to build one.

Id be interested in a set of cut parts too.

I’ll pick up some 1/2” this week and burn out the flat parts for you guys. It would basically be the 4 side plates base plate and maybe the end cap where the nut tube welds to.

If you interested maybe the jaw holders if I can get some over the counter hardened jaws to use as a pattern.

That’s what I did was machine a seat for the jaws to sit on.

Can I get a Link to the jaws you bought?

These are replacement jaws for wilton 10010 hitch vise, the cheapest 6" jaws I could find. The serration is very aggressive so I have magnetic soft jaws that I use on stuff I do not want marked up.

I’ll pick up some 1/2” this week and burn out the flat parts for you guys. It would basically be the 4 side plates base plate and maybe the end cap where the nut tube welds to.

If you interested maybe the jaw holders if I can get some over the counter hardened jaws to use as a pattern.
I am in.

Fuck if you're gonna drop that kind of dough, grab one of these and use the leftover $500 to buy or build a big ass vise to use as a beater.

I'm in for a set. I have the machine tools so no problem there.

These are replacement jaws for wilton 10010 hitch vise, the cheapest 6" jaws I could find. The serration is very aggressive so I have magnetic soft jaws that I use on stuff I do not want marked up.
You can download the dxf and/or 3d files from McMaster too so it should be easy to incorporate.

Top Back Refresh