What's new

Fireball releases a giant vise - the Hardtail

If you're willing to ship, I'd definitely be in for the tubes too. I'll hit my scrap yard tomorrow but it's unlikely they'll have the right sizes.
My little brother is the shipping king. I’ll make him do it. He ships his trinkets out every day of the week. :flipoff2:

The only thing is to ship both tubes one needs to clean the weld out of the big one :homer:.

I think I'm out. The price is good enough but the last thing I need is more projects.

I think I'm out. The price is good enough but the last thing I need is more projects.
:flipoff2: I think you would be very happy with it. One afternoon you could have it together.

I love mine. Definitely in the top 10 best projects I have done for the shop.

My little brother is the shipping king. I’ll make him do it. He ships his trinkets out every day of the week. :flipoff2:

The only thing is to ship both tubes one needs to clean the weld out of the big one :homer:.
I was thinking it'd be a lot easier to ship if you could nest them....but then you'd have to remove the seem first....which would be even cooler for the recipients. :laughing:

I was thinking it'd be a lot easier to ship if you could nest them....but then you'd have to remove the seem first....which would be even cooler for the recipients. :laughing:
I’ll have to do some digging. I made a hss drag through broach for the one I bulit. Now if I can find where it went ……:homer:

:flipoff2: I think you would be very happy with it. One afternoon you could have it together.

I love mine. Definitely in the top 10 best projects I have done for the shop.
I'm sure I would but I have "shovel ready" projects that will keep me busy for the next few years and my vise is working fine. If I break it or need another vise I'll pony up for the plans or whatever and deal with it then.

I'm sure I would but I have "shovel ready" projects that will keep me busy for the next few years and my vise is working fine. If I break it or need another vise I'll pony up for the plans or whatever and deal with it then.
lol shovel ready. So your saying your a still a few years out. :flipoff2:

lol shovel ready. So your saying your a still a few years out. :flipoff2:
Yeah, they're a few years out because there's other shit that's gotta be done first. :flipoff2:

I got an aluminum boat with a hole in it. The patch plate is pre-drilled ready to go but I'm not gonna do it until I got another reason to crack open a tube of windshield sealer because that shit goes bad if it's open.

I got a stack of plastic barrels I need to use as concrete forms for my garage, simply haven't gotten around to digging the hole.

I got a crashed car with all the shit I need to fix it collecting dust in the back seat.

I got a car that needs a trans, trans is in the trunk

The Cincinnati mill is still waiting to go into the machine shop but I gotta build something to move it first.

DRO is sitting on the lathe waiting for install.

My big air compressor has all the shit I need to make it run sitting on top of it, I'm running off a tiny little 5gal "1hp" (lol, more like 1/2) Craftsman now.

This weekend I'm working on converting my boiler to natural gas, then my brother's coming over and we're gonna wrench on the Aerostar. Next weekend I'm doing something else. Then the weekend after that I'm headed to PA to get a F250 frame I'm gonna slice and dice to replace a rusted out Ranger frame.

Did i mention I gotta convert my house from steam to hot water?

And half the rooms need some serious renovation/updates

You get the picture.

Yeah, they're a few years out because there's other shit that's gotta be done first. :flipoff2:

I got an aluminum boat with a hole in it. The patch plate is pre-drilled ready to go but I'm not gonna do it until I got another reason to crack open a tube of windshield sealer because that shit goes bad if it's open.

I got a stack of plastic barrels I need to use as concrete forms for my garage, simply haven't gotten around to digging the hole.

I got a crashed car with all the shit I need to fix it collecting dust in the back seat.

The Cincinnati mill is still waiting to go into the machine shop but I gotta build something to move it first.

My big air compressor has all the shit I need to make it run sitting on top of it, I'm running off a tiny little 5gal "1hp" (lol, more like 1/2) Craftsman now.

This weekend I'm working on converting my boiler to natural gas, then my brother's coming over and we're gonna wrench on the Aerostar. Next weekend I'm doing something else. Then the weekend after that I'm headed to PA to get a F250 frame I'm gonna slice and dice to replace a rusted out Ranger frame.

You get the picture.

And yet you can still post on IBB 200 times a day. :flipoff2:

You get the picture.
Your list sounds a lot like my list, and I suspect a lot of other guys lists.
No matter how much shit I get done, the list keeps getting longer, and I don't value my time.

It's like we're, every one of us, retarded.

Maybe anyone buying parts should show proof that they paid for a set of plans??

Technically you could watch his build video and pull all the pertinent info out of it, but I don't mind shelling out $5 for the files.
who ever is cutting the parts and mailing them off should just add 5$ to the cost and pass it on to the guy

We're drawing out the swivel base when we get some time.

Water jet or mill may be the way to go with that.

Last edited:
We're drawing out the swivel base when we get some time.

Water jet or mill may be the way to go with that.
I'm working on a failed servo and/or drive on my mill at the moment but as soon as I have time to install the replacement parts, hopefully it'll be back up and I might be able to help out with some of the machined parts.

He just posted another vid on the vise. He made a base that allows it pivot down 90 degrees. Look like he added a swivel base too. I don't remember that in the original build.

The piece together option is super tempting. I’m following this one.

I don’t remember him doing the swivel part on the vice but after watching the last video I can see how handy all of it together would be.

Best thread I've read in a long while.

Panzer - I'm in for a kit with the tube if you can pull it off. Thanks for putting this together.

Best thread I've read in a long while.

Panzer - I'm in for a kit with the tube if you can pull it off. Thanks for putting this together.
This afternoon lll start blasting out the flats. This week I’ll grab the tubing and start compiling everything. Once I get it all rounded up I’ll start getting a list of people together. It will take me a week or so real life is busy this time of year lol. I want to get one done just to see the weight and what the cost is to ship. Just worried it will be $100 to ship it.

odify the model for

Went shopping today at my favorite store!

1B9C3B1F-85E6-42D4-9EB6-E6986AB7241A.jpeg

I inquired on what a 4x8 sheet of a36 1/2” was and that was a big fuck no. Over $1000 for a sheet. Went outside and found some 1/2” t1 plate drops for way less.
Pannzer, If you would like, I can inquire at my local steel place about 1/2" price for A36. I have a cnc plasma table and just got a new hypertherm 85.

I don't want to steel your thunder, but can help plasma cut them out if need be.

I'd be happy to buy just the file. I can get my own cut here.
Buy the build directions and I'll send you the cut files we have.

It's funny, I am talking with Talon and I was able to characterise why I am interested in this vise vice.

It's like 20 years of friends working on a project together, something that really means something.

To be clear, I have access to steel, a plasma, a water jet and all that shit. I could probably bury the cost of one in another project.

But having a Brother cut these, someone else machine the jaws, someone else find the parts needed, makes this awesome to me.

:beer: to y'all.

I think this needs a bottle opener on it, somewhere.

I normally use the square edge and whack the cap off method, but a real bottle opener would be nice.

I put all the parts listed on the build sheet through mcmaster and it's about $170. I'll probably go with Acme thread instead of the standard rod so that'll add another $30-40.

You can get 4, 6, 8 and 10 TPI with ACME - so lower TPI = faster moving jaw, higher TPI = more force. The original was built with standard 8 tpi threaded rod.
Can you post your parts list?

I am ordering my stuff shortly, you've already done the work, so I am happy to plagiarize. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
I finally got some pics of my janky vise 1.0 after paint and now ThePanzerFuhrer is posting big boy fab shop stuff.

I'm posting it anyway:flipoff2: maybe some of it will be useful.

To be double clear this is NOT what ThePanzerFuhrer is making

This is the main nut extended out from the back of the vise and the fixed jaw.
IMG_0956.JPG

The screw bearing assembly and the dynamic jaw are just held together with Philips head machine screws. SS because fancy. Make sure to mock my booger welds:homer:

IMG_0957.JPG

The screw bearing assembly: nothing but the preload holds the bearings in place it really does not need anything else. If I had machine tools I would probably machine pockets for them but it is not needed.

IMG_0958.JPG

Inside of the dynamic jaw, I stacked weld in the corners to create mounting bosses to screw into:

IMG_0959.JPG

The broach to clean out the weld seam in the 3x3 tubing, You can see the piece of HSS there is a 1" nut on the other side to draw it through the tube:

IMG_0960.JPG

Top Back Refresh