What's new

Fireball releases a giant vise - the Hardtail

I move this around with a hand truck, the vise and the base each weigh 175 lbs-ish

7ECBB55B-94AE-4A8A-B076-A4F48A312DF1.jpeg
Jeebus. That'll do. Though keep in mind the fireball one will open probably twice is wide as that. Your offset/cantilever design definitely helps but might need to be steeper/wider for this vise fully opened.

Was that vertical post repurposed from something else? Almost looks like the top of a steel utility pole.

We showing off vise stands now? Old skidsteer wheels make fantastic stands. The 6" parker on the left weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 175#. Can hang off of the handle tightening something and the stand doesn't move. Could fill the wheel and/or post with concrete for more gravity. Cheap too.

Y0pSF_xW6GtYHkUXyqVpYypA=w1919-h1440-no?authuser=0.jpg

We showing off vise stands now? Old skidsteer wheels make fantastic stands. The 6" parker on the left weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 175#. Can hang off of the handle tightening something and the stand doesn't move. Could fill the wheel and/or post with concrete for more gravity. Cheap too.

Y0pSF_xW6GtYHkUXyqVpYypA=w1919-h1440-no?authuser=0.jpg
That is another idea, I have access to a bunch of used forklift wheels, they are not as wide, but might make a good form for a chunk of concrete.

Aaron Z

Was that vertical post repurposed from something else? Almost looks like the top of a steel utility pole.
3 pieces of 6" angle iron with a little taper, the base was a random 3/4 drop. If I ever switch the Reed for the Fireball, I'll just fill the column with lead shot and move around it with a forklift!

That is a clean looking setup:smokin:

I like it, but I do move mine now and then. I have two vises. One on a pipe to a semi wheel and the other to a brake disc. I don’t move the semi wheel much because the weight, but the disc one I can carry.

Finally got all the flats all cutout and ready to go. Been stupid busy with work. The warm weather is sticking around so I have to go 100%.

Here is what’s in with the flats. 2 fixed jaws, 2 movable jaws, fixed tube back plate, moving jaw internal brace, a handle(you need to tell me unc thread or acme thread) and a fixed base plate.

3293D3B9-6652-4C7F-A685-9A701A85C70E.jpeg

You’ll need to do some cleanup and fitting. The handle will need to be fit to your nut. These will be $100 shipped to you in a flat rate box.

I’m working on the tubes next. They will be $100 + shipping. I’ll cut the weld out of the large tube so they nest together nice. I’ll also toss in the tube the nut gets welded to. These will take me a little bit yet.

You’ll still need to buy the parts from McMaster and make the jaw holders and front bearing block. I’ll be able to make those but that won’t be until Christmas time if you want me to make them.

Everyone who sent me a pm I’ll respond to with a few questions and the PayPal address. Once I get the payment I’ll get them sent out. I’m not trying to make money on this just covering the stupid steel prices and doing it as a favor to all you guys. Hope you all enjoy.

Got the first half of all those who sent money shipped out. Will get the second half sent out tomorrow. I’ll send you a shipping confirmation number once I get the label printed.

Forgot I had parent teacher conferences tonight to go to. Shitty when you live 25 mins away from the school takes up the entire evening.

My little brother was laughing when I brought the flat rate boxes to his house to print labels. He said I’m the reason the post office is gonna go broke. Each box is like 36 lbs lol.

I'm convinced I'm one of the reasons there is a weight limit (it's now 70 pounds) on the flat rate boxes.

When they first came out there wasn't a limit and I had some 100+ pound boxes of machine parts shipped cross country. The mailman at the office I worked in at the time hated my guts... :lmao:

Looks like $230 plus your ACME or UNC thread and nut.

Aaron Z

I posted somewhere earlier in this thread, but I think all the McMaster parts come out to around $160 or so, plus whatever you use for jaws.

Pretty much looking at $450-500+ depending what parts you use - like regular thread vs acme and how much you spend on jaws.

This is sad I was looking at haas vf3’s on face book marketplace last night. I always wanted one of those. …. It’s crazy how “cheap” a cnc mill is. I’m used to everything costing 200k+ and that’s for the used shit :eek:.

Just peddle some stupid shit I have around the yard.

Buy a cnc mill to make a few vise parts what a :homer:. I do think if I get one my old Bridgeport will start rusting away.

This is sad I was looking at haas vf3’s on face book marketplace last night. I always wanted one of those. …. It’s crazy how “cheap” a cnc mill is. I’m used to everything costing 200k+ and that’s for the used shit :eek:.

Just peddle some stupid shit I have around the yard.

Buy a cnc mill to make a few vise parts what a :homer:. I do think if I get one my old Bridgeport will start rusting away.
I'm still fucking with a blown servo driver on mine, but as soon as I get it back working I have no problem running a bunch of these on it.

Top Back Refresh