What's new

CL/marketplace interaction/ negotiation tactics (BaT thread hgtd reboot/ spinoff)

Have you covered the no price 'make an offer' guy in this thread yet?

If I make an offer you are going to need to respond, so you already have a acceptable/not acceptable number in your head, put that number in the ad.
Even better when for price they put 0 or Free in the header and then they have best offer or make an offer in the text of the ad . MOrons.

"I will make an insulting offer if I don't have a place to start from. Rather than waste of of our times, why don't you put a number on it?"
yeah with no ballpark on the table you don't want to risk paying more than you had to.

Nothing deflates a purchase quite like the bittersweet lingering doubt after your opening offer is met with a quick yes. [Seething through clenched teeth and plastic smile]: 'Faaaawwwwk maannn, how much less could I have paid?!???' :laughing:

Another one recently was i found some rather obscure quasi-unobtanium parts i've been seeking for months/years on FB for a very reasonable price within reasonable drive distance.
I got so giddy/carried away that i inquired and locked down a meeting asap to obtain them. As we're loading them up into my vehicle, the guy says ' yeah i've had these listed for a long time, i was wondering if i was going to have to scrap them..' :emb: I never even bothered asked if the price was firm/negotiable.
I'm not losing sleep over what i paid for them, but I almost certainly left excess dollars on the table...

Last edited:
It's pretty interesting to read some of the responses here. Some people are not thinking of the different types of areas we all live in or the difference products we are buying and selling. There's obviously a few folks here that are reliving their glory day of getting the perfect sale completed at a yard sale and others who deal in thousands a month.

Bottom line is people are crazy and each situation is different. I have had yard sale type people offer something dumb on a $2 item. I don't need it or care and just tell them if they like it they can have it for free only for them to get indignant and want to continue arguing the price. This has happened more than once and more than once the thing went in the trash while standing there. 😄

Car and motorcycle buyers are usually pretty readable by car type and location here. I live between city and rich people sprawl into what used to be country in MD. The rich folks will basically give stuff away usually if you don't look like a Baltimore City hood rat. Poors want to play money in different pockets games. Farm and collector stuff usually comes with a story unless it's family unloading stuff. My little brother lives in Perry OK and his dealings are completely different than mine.

My main lesson that I had to learn young is it's just business and you can't take it too personal. Both buyer and seller can just walk away and be done most of the time of the deal isn't right.

The messenger interaction merited cross post from cl finds thread.

‘My classic auto appraised for 3x my asking so no lowballers, I know what I’ve got’

This appraisal must have been performed jointly by Boyd before he passed and Xzibit while he was still relevant.

IMG_1602.jpeg

‘custom’ it most certainly delivers on in droves;
IMG_4076.jpeg
IMG_4082.jpeg
IMG_4078.jpeg IMG_4077.jpeg IMG_4074.jpeg IMG_4073.jpeg

If I make an offer you are going to need to respond, so you already have a acceptable/not acceptable number in your head, put that number in the ad.
My boss is that guy. Anything I've ever tried to buy from him, which is almost always mildly interesting shit I don't need, (like the pair of Reliant Robins I bought last summer) he goes "Well what's it worth to you?" and I just can't fuckin help but insult him with an offer I know is way low every time.

If I make an offer you are going to need to respond, so you already have an acceptable/not acceptable number in your head, put that number in the ad.

My boss is that guy. Anything I've ever tried to buy from him, which is almost always mildly interesting shit I don't need, (like the pair of Reliant Robins I bought last summer) he goes "Well what's it worth to you?" and I just can't fuckin help but insult him with an offer I know is way low every time.

Yeah traditionally, make me an offer in the absence of an asking price was a situation like the latter above where it was something a seller said to a friend/ known entity who felt they could trust to not take complete advantage of them and throw out a fair/ low reasonable offer or decline to offer on something the seller no longer cared to own.

Asking the same of the open public is called an auction, and with no set reserve amount or price guidance, the bidding starts at $0, and that shouldn’t come as a surprise. Marketplace morons don’t comprehend this and get butthurt about lowball offers.

Last edited:
The messenger interaction merited cross post from cl finds thread.

‘My classic auto appraised for 3x my asking so no lowballers, I know what I’ve got’

This appraisal must have been performed jointly by Boyd before he passed and Xzibit while he was still relevant.

IMG_1602.jpeg

‘custom’ it most certainly delivers on in droves;
IMG_4076.jpeg
IMG_4082.jpeg
IMG_4078.jpeg IMG_4077.jpeg IMG_4074.jpeg IMG_4073.jpeg

The reason for the brief description becomes apparent the longer you try to pry details from the seller; It doesn't get any more impressive or special in the least.

whats the motor and what's done to it? '318, just a RV cam'
... ... 'its on the front section of a lincoln towncar thats been stretched a foot or 2.'
... 'we're the original owners, it was built by [some hotrodder guy whos name doesnt ring a bell] & tim allen [the toolman i assume? {it looks like the era where home improvement ended but last man standing hadn't started and he'd be willing to make a buck signing his name to some oddball build.}]'
what trans? 'just a stock one' ( presumably stock for the the 69 d100???)
if the rear tag axle beam or air ride? 'its the stock front axle, installed to track by itself."

[At this point i'm tapping out and not trying to falsely inflate poor guys wife's hopes of an interested buyer to potentially clear this financial disaster out of a bay of her garage] : well it's definitely unique; looks and sounds like you put a lot of work into it.

Last edited:
I mean, even just moving the boxes that are leaning on it or giving it a wash would help.

They need someone with more money than taste to think it's awesome and fall in love with it. Easier for that to happen when it's shiny and has good pictures taken outside.

I’m talking with seller of a vehicle listed at $10k that’s been listed for 3 weeks and aside from stats & pics the description reads an entire 3 words and a character ‘runs & drives great.’, he’s regularly responded within 15 min to messages back & forth. So I offered 9k ( low end of kbb private party range, he’s on the high end.) he’s ghosted on me; vanished/ silent treatment…

Can I complain about the people who have multiple items in a posting and they don't bother marking/indicating when items have been sold already?
I know, I know. I had a post like that, buncha odd furniture and stuff priced to move quick. Every time I sold something I would go back and mark it as sold. So after a few days I get down to 3 things left out of 10 and what do you know...

No interest in the 3 things left but dozens of messages for all of the stuff clearly marked sold. It was a complete waste of my time to bother going back to edit that post over and over again. It's just way easier to ignore inquiries about sold items imho.

I know, I know. I had a post like that, buncha odd furniture and stuff priced to move quick. Every time I sold something I would go back and mark it as sold. So after a few days I get down to 3 things left out of 10 and what do you know...

No interest in the 3 things left but dozens of messages for all of the stuff clearly marked sold. It was a complete waste of my time to bother going back to edit that post over and over again. It's just way easier to ignore inquiries about sold items imho.
Fair enough. I try to take separate pics of stuff when I can so I can just remove the pics, but I know that's not always feasible.

And for anyone that cares the 2wd Tacoma on BAT from the HGTD thread went north of $20k as I had predicted.

Nice. I knew it would do fine. 2wd or not. Good for him.

I’m talking with seller of a vehicle listed at $10k that’s been listed for 3 weeks and aside from stats & pics the description reads an entire 3 words and a character ‘runs & drives great.’, he’s regularly responded within 15 min to messages back & forth. So I offered 9k ( low end of kbb private party range, he’s on the high end.) he’s ghosted on me; vanished/ silent treatment…
This time of year, 3 weeks is nothing.

This time of year, 3 weeks is nothing.
yeah, its a private seller i don't know what he knows. his 10 was on the high side of kbb private party, my 9 number was on the low side so its not exactly something you expect someone to be insulted and ghost breakup over. ( this was a proposed purchase in bismarck for that roadtrip breakdown thread as an option that could be bought, driven 2k miles cross country and then sold for less expense than a rental if it wasnt something he grew fond of. seller knew i was talking about executing a purchase within 24 hrs, and 'no, i'm firm on price' wouldn't have come as a surprise to me and might not have killed the deal.)

Reactions: DMG
Yeah, I don't get that logic.

If you sell with 30 days it moved fast. 45 days is about right. After 60 you need to reevaluate.

Also, KBB means jack shit. It's a 'guide' at best and by no means an indicator of the market. I've sold trucks 2x KBB.

Maybe I need to up my prices. I get stressed if I have something for 2 weeks, and usually decide on the this weekend or 1 week price to list.

Yeah, I don't get that logic.

If you sell with 30 days it moved fast. 45 days is about right. After 60 you need to reevaluate.
that's dealer logic, but most consumers don't want to deal with selling a car for more than a week or 2.

after 3 weeks of 'is this available' you'd think responding to the guy who just told you 'i'm planning to get my car with a blown motor towed to your town tomorrow and will need to/plan to buy something before sunset to get me un-stranded and back on the road out of there, might be worth at least responding 'no i'm firm at 10k' to.
Also, KBB means jack shit. It's a 'guide' at best and by no means an indicator of the market. I've sold trucks 2x KBB.
Exactly; its a guide and not the bible carved in stone. He was on the high side of the 'guide' range and I was on the Low side . All that the kbb reference was intented to demonstrate was that it didn't seem to be an unreasonable lowball offer.
It was a 2010 Camry with 68k miles- nothing special/pit of the ordinary. however it was half way across the country from me and the marketplace listings sure look like its a different automotive landscape out there, so KBB was the easiest resource available to me to reference.

Maybe I need to up my prices. I get stressed if I have something for 2 weeks, and usually decide on the this weekend or 1 week price to list.

I have two pricing structures.

24hrs or 30 day. I hope that 30day price sells in 24hrs, but I don't lose sleep over it. I sell more wholesale than retail, all depends on the item.

That's being said, that applies to vehicles/equip. I also dgaf if I sell anything. It's either paid for itself so I don't care, or I'm in it for cheap and don't care. Being emotionally involved means poor decisions. If you know the market, there's nothing to worry.

SO what am I missing that people only use a google # and only met up in a parking lot?
Are you selling something shady that you're worried about them having your phone number or knowing where you live?
It's pretty damn easy to find out where people live these days.

Reactions: DMG
SO what am I missing that people only use a google # and only met up in a parking lot?
Are you selling something shady that you're worried about them having your phone number or knowing where you live?
Meeting in parking lots cuts down on the talkers wanting to linger around instead of paying and moving on with their day. I also work a decent distance from home and it's easier to sell shit during the day when I'm in town.

I just have people come to the shop. I don’t misrepresent items I am selling and would be the wrong guy to rob so it has never been an issue.

Top Back Refresh