What's new

CL/marketplace interaction/ negotiation tactics (BaT thread hgtd reboot/ spinoff)

I took arse's advice about posting shit cheap enough to move very quickly and selling non-vehicle things has been much easier

selling a car still sucks. but maybe selling a 99 camry that idled like shit was destined to bring out the retards

goddam this drives me nuts. $100 bicycle took 30 minutes to get the guy to get back in his car. guess I've got to learn to be more of an ass
damn yankees... :flipoff2: bicycle/ toys/nostalgia/ baby stuff i think its almost expected you're gonna encounter some chatterboxes.

another one that catches you off guard is when you get ambushed by the seller that wont hand over the goods without 20 min of foreplay.
This happens often in meticulous owners; i pointed my buddy to a cheap nice stainless bbq grill he was in the market for, and it looked pretty mint- he said the old retired guy talked his ear off about his wd40 wipedown routine and pm schedule for oiling the ball bearings in the casters and my buddy couldn't find a break in the lecture to shove $100 in his hand and make a break for it for almost half an hour.

The other ones are people who are down on their luck and firesaling nicer stuff. I bought a pretty nice leather sofa from a over extended real estate investor couple who was downsizing out of their 4ksqft home in the time period following the 08-09 crash. It was one of those- 'hey we listed the sofa but if you walk past anything else you like, point and ask us to throw out a price' type sales that did yield a few bonus items.
Anyhow, The nice lady started [not quietly]sobbing on the front porch as I loaded the sofa on my trailer in her driveway- that probably makes my top 10 most awkward sale interactions.

Last edited:
1708438646418.png
1708438674557.png
1708438764283.png

These were just from the last couple days. :shakng:

What does the group photo changing mean?
Facebook Facebooking. They use group messages for buyer/seller messaging and one of the options in a group message is to change the group picture. When it sets up the group for buyer/seller messaging it automatically sets the group picture to be the first item picture.

Aaron Z

Facebook Facebooking. They use group messages for buyer/seller messaging and one of the options in a group message is to change the group picture. When it sets up the group for buyer/seller messaging it automatically sets the group picture to be the first item picture.

Aaron Z
Thanks,
I only have a burner fuckbook account with no friends and everything disabled to use for marketplace. I've always wondered wtf was that.

The other ones are people who are down on their luck and firesaling nicer stuff. I bought a pretty nice leather sofa from a over extended real estate investor couple who was downsizing out of their 4ksqft home in the time period following the 08-09 crash. It was one of those- 'hey we listed the sofa but if you walk past anything else you like, point and ask us to throw out a price' type sales that did yield a few bonus items. The nice lady started [not quietly]sobbing on the front porch as I loaded the sofa on my trailer in her driveway- that probably makes the top 10 most awkward sale interactions

When I bought my steel deck car trailer to haul my Toyota, the old guy in a jumpsuit, like old guys all wear, wanted $2600 and I told him I didn't need the 8k winch on the front of it, so he lowered his price to $1800. Sold! Gave him a hundo to hold it while I went to the bank for the rest. Came back and as we're doing the paperwork, he tells me, "I'm dying of cancer and just want to liquidate as much as I can for my wife."

Fucker.

When I bought my steel deck car trailer to haul my Toyota, the old guy in a jumpsuit, like old guys all wear, wanted $2600 and I told him I didn't need the 8k winch on the front of it, so he lowered his price to $1800. Sold! Gave him a hundo to hold it while I went to the bank for the rest. Came back and as we're doing the paperwork, he tells me, "I'm dying of cancer and just want to liquidate as much as I can for my wife."

Fucker.
I've been in one or 2 of those choke you up scenarios too. Tried to give one back the money I negotiated off asking price and they got upset/indignant. Talk about a bittersweet deal.

if you ever dont feel like negotiating on a household/ yardsale item,and have questionable morals/ethics, just respond to offer below asking price offer with' the sale proceeds go to my kids scout troop/ band boosters/ whatever'.

I can attest that's a gut punch to be on the buyer side of to, although sometimes when it got sprung on you later in the discussion you do drive away questioning if they're just a lying dirtbag.

Last edited:
I can attest that's a gut punch to be on the buyer side of to, although sometimes when it got sprung on you later in the discussion you do drive away questioning if they're just a lying dirtbag.

Ice water in my veins when it comes to that. I've had people pull the cancer card on both sides of the table. Or you get the woman with a dozen kids who needs a car and can only make weekly payments of $27. Ag teacher and it's for the kids in shop class. Etc

You never know if it's a fabrication or not.

Ice water in my veins when it comes to that. I've had people pull the cancer card on both sides of the table. Or you get the woman with a dozen kids who needs a car and can only make weekly payments of $27. Ag teacher and it's for the kids in shop class. Etc

You never know if it's a fabrication or not.

Now I won't be shy about negotiating/haggling with the ladies league/church yardsale if they're priced at/ above new retail on a tool or something i know well / not yardsale reasonable.

but if i'm trying to chisel off that last $10 or $20 bucks to make it a very good deal and they pull a reasonably believable proceeds going to scouts card, that's the finale in my negotiation process.

Last edited:
The nice lady started [not quietly]sobbing on the front porch as I loaded the sofa on my trailer in her driveway- that probably makes the top 10 most awkward sale interactions
Buying a goat from a guy one time, he was about to cry because he loved it so much.
He tells me "as soon as we put it in your truck, please just drive away right there and then".
We load it, he looks down, I don't say a word and drive away. Check rear view mirror, he's still looking at the ground.
Ouch.

Buying a goat from a guy one time, he was about to cry because he loved it so much.
He tells me "as soon as we put it in your truck, please just drive away right there and then".
We load it, he looks down, I don't say a word and drive away. Check rear view mirror, he's still looking at the ground.
Ouch.
He knew what you were going to do to that poor goat

Ouch.
i bet that was some the tastiest birria tacos you ever had though, amirite???:laughing:

1708458699702.png

Last edited:
Had a set of 5 trail worthy fab bead locks and 37” MTR’s posted for sale. Guy asked a bunch of questions about them and fitting his jeep, told him if his jeep was 8X6.5 bolt pattern they would fit. He agreed to meet at local sports store, and pay asking price if everything checked out. I show up 5 min early, see his jeep, no guy, waited 15 minutes and 2 guys carrying bags come out of the store. Sure enough it’s the buyer and his buddy, looks over the wheels and tires and agrees they are what were advertised. I get two out of the back of the truck, and the guy is all excited to mock them up for photos. Unload the three others and he’s wondering about how heavy they are.

He hands me a stack of cash and goes I’m $100 short cause I spent too much in the store. I told him to either find another hundred or go return what he just bought. He was shocked to hear me tell him I’d load them back up and drive off. He left his buddy in the parking lot with me and a stack of wheels and tires to go find an atm. Comes back 20 min later and hands me the last $100, the whole time he was gone his buddy was telling me they talked about it on the way up and we’re going to save some cash.

3 days later the guy is calling me non stop, the wheels don’t fit, you sold me junk wheels, I can’t use them. He was at the wheel store and they couldn’t mount them. I waited a few hours and called him back, asked what the issue was, stock JK axles with 5X5” versus 8X6.5 wheels. I laughed and said good luck with it. Told him I advertised them with the correct bolt pattern, and even asked if his bolt pattern was the same. He all of a sudden remembered the conversation and hung up. No idea what he ended up doing with that set of wheels and tires.

I had a pair of new coilovers for sale and met a guy between a bank and a grocery store. Lets say I was asking 700 he goes, all I got is 600....
Really? ATM right there. :homer:

When buying I'll usually ask if they were flexible on price. Generally speaking I go 80% or so but if I want it I have no problem paying full asking.

I once had a reverse haggle situation.
Buying a popup camper, meet up and it looks good and there's another person interested as well
I tell him I'll pay his asking price. He sends the other guy away.
When it's time to hand over the money, he asks me if I'm going to try and haggle him down.
I said no, and he pretty much insisted on giving me back $200. Sweet.

We have sent him and his wife a Christmas card every year since then, and they send us one, too.

Me and two friends went to spring carisile one year.
They got into a contest of who could Jew the most money on a car.
Well they find this idiot trying to unload a 84 Camaro.they messed with the guy for an hour or more,until he burns up the starter letting them listen to the engine.

Then they did their best bevis and buthead voice,man your car is junk yea your car is a piece of shit,and walked.

Was negotiating over a car trailer

One of my biggest pet peeves, when I am standing in front of you talking to you, I am not going to take a phone call while you are talking, I expect the same
So this guy (I'm trying to give him money, but a unknown phone call was more important) He answers the phone, on speaker, and it is his child support enforcement, and they have a conversation about how far behind he is, and it is still on speaker, and he stands there like he wants me to hear the conversation, idiot

So I sat there quietly, and made my now (and still holding) best ever lowball offer ever

I bought a truck once that I had negotiated in person and got him to the point where I had negotiated down ~10% from asking. Right as I was about to close the deal, he got a phone call for the truck offering to pay over his asking price. Truck had only been on the market a day or so and was priced low ($17k for a truck I would have listed at $20k). He countered to me with "this guy is offering me over my asking price so what are you going to do?" I offered him asking price and gave him a $5k deposit until I could get the rest from the bank (it was the weekend and my bank at the time didn't have weekend hours). Finished the deal on Monday.

I still to this day question whether or not that was staged and I got played. He did not have the caller's phone number saved in his phone, but that doesn't necessarily mean he didn't know the caller. He also got a couple messages over messenger while we were together (spent over 2 hours with him making the deal). Either way, I went into it willing to pay asking, just didn't want to if I could get it cheaper. If it was a negotiating tactic, it worked quite well. Guy seemed like a straight shooter, but you never know.

Well they find this idiot trying to unload a 84 Camaro.they messed with the guy for an hour or more,until he burns up the starter letting them listen to the engine.

Then they did their best bevis and buthead voice,man your car is junk yea your car is a piece of shit,and walked.
Your friends sound like a couple of bungholes.

Have you covered the no price 'make an offer' guy in this thread yet?

If I make an offer you are going to need to respond, so you already have a acceptable/not acceptable number in your head, put that number in the ad.

I don't negotiate by text message, either as a buyer or seller. If I am interested, I will ask something like, "If I come look at it, and want to buy it, are you open to negotiations in person"?
If selling, "I don't negotiate by text, if you are interested, come look at it and make a reasonable offer, we can go from there".

If I make an offer you are going to need to respond, so you already have an acceptable/not acceptable number in your head, put that number in the ad.
Oh gosh, somehow I don’t think we hit that yet. I just ignore them and don’t engage anymore.

‘I’m not sure what to offer, How much do you want for this?’ ‘Just Make me an offer’. And then 9 times out of 10 you hit these people with an offer and they act insulted/ indignified.

Last edited:

You and your friends are faggots.

If I make an offer you are going to need to respond, so you already have a acceptable/not acceptable number in your head, put that number in the ad.

I ask them what they want, they say make an offer then I make a crazy low offer and they act like im the asshole.

I was tangentially involved in an uncomfortable sale a few years ago. A buddy recruited me and a couple other people to help him load a Jeep tub, frame and axles (all in pieces) he bought from a guy who had it in his garage. We meet the guy, and start loading the stuff up by hand on a 16' car hauler trailer, using his engine hoist to help lift the tub/frame and backing trailer under it. While this is happening, a woman comes out and says she is the guy's wife and keeps demanding my buddy tell her how much he paid her husband for the stuff. The guy is standing there as well and not saying anything. She's going on and on about she has a right to know, etc. My buddy is telling her that he made the deal w/ her husband (but not telling her the amount) and she should take that up with him. Meanwhile the rest of just keep our heads down and keep loading stuff up so we could depart ASAP....

"I will make an insulting offer if I don't have a place to start from. Rather than waste of of our times, why don't you put a number on it?"

Top Back Refresh