What's new

CL/marketplace interaction/ negotiation tactics (BaT thread hgtd reboot/ spinoff)

WTF?

degenerate at large
Member Number
Loc
Eastern, NC
We were having a delightful detail tangent discussion of sending photos of piles of cash as a negotiation tactic and its perceived acceptance on left vs right coast. ( I presume op was tap dancing in a gray area of either IBB rules or bat’s)

if you missed it , I ran into this Martian on cl who was entirely unfamiliar with the negotiation process which starts with a low opening offer and is customarily followed by a counter.

Note the ad did not say ‘firm’ or no lowballers or anything of the sort.

IMG_1465.png

Last edited:
People don't know how to fucking haggle any more.

What's the least you'll take?
What's the most you'll pay?

What's your best price?
Double my asking price. That'd be great for me.

What's your bottom dollar?
What's your top dollar?

What the absolute lowest you'll take?
What's the absolute highest you'll pay?

All questions I had in the last 2 weeks trying to sell a clapped out 12v 3500 with a valve embedded in a piston.

The problem is people actually engage these idiots. I'm asking $5000. -What's the least you'll take? I guess I could take $4k. Congrats. You just negotiated with yourself.

People don't know how to fucking haggle any more.

What's the least you'll take?
What's the most you'll pay?

What's your best price?
Double my asking price. That'd be great for me.

What's your bottom dollar?
What's your top dollar?

What the absolute lowest you'll take?
What's the absolute highest you'll pay?

All questions I had in the last 2 weeks trying to sell a clapped out 12v 3500 with a valve embedded in a piston.

The problem is people actually engage these idiots. I'm asking $5000. -What's the least you'll take? I guess I could take $4k. Congrats. You just negotiated with yourself.
Yeah, I usually pad my asking prices with negotiating room, but more and more people show up and never even question it, and just hand over full asking. It’s to the point where I commend kids under 30 for fair and reasonable negotiation efforts, because it’s a rare surprise.

Been ongoing for several years now. Nobody has a fucking clue what OBO is or how to respond to it anymore either.

Wait til Wednesday and hit him with a 'If you can go $ amount, I can be there in an hour'. Seems to work best next to showing up and pulling out cash as you make the offer. If you're gonna low ball it helps to be money right now.

I would be put off by someone sending me a picture of cash as part of a negotiation. I know what cash looks like. Seems like something that might work on a broke bum without a dollar to his name, though.
Yes, I’m with you- my position was its a bit brash as an opening contact or early out the gate. If someone sends a pic of cash in a opening contact I’m likely to try and find someone else seriously interested first before replying to cash flasher.

But if a seller seems wish washy on accepting a deal I could see using a pic of cash to try and prod them over the finish line.

I say I’m cash in hand and never feel compelled to send pics to prove my word.

Last edited:
Yeah, I usually pad my asking prices with negotiating room, but more and more people show up and never even question it, and just hand over full asking. It’s to the point where I commend kids under 30 for fair and reasonable negotiation efforts, because it’s a rare surprise.

I'm more than willing to negotiate and actually like haggling, but I refuse to do it with myself. I put the price out. It's your move to make a (reasonable) offer.

For my own sales, if I get an obscenely low offer, I will more than likely ignore it. I'm not going to waste my time with that shit. I also don't play the 'what is the lowest I'll go'. I also don't usually list my stuff for 3x current MSRP like most tards I've seen.

If I'm buying, I'll make a reasonable offer based upon MSRP or other current sales... sometimes around 10% lower than asking. If they are asking stupid prices, I'm not going to waste my time or theirs with 25-50% under asking.

Been ongoing for several years now. Nobody has a fucking clue what OBO is or how to respond to it anymore either.
The really weird one is when you make an offer to a seller and they don’t know what to do and just cave ‘whatever you think is fair’. And then you drive away feeling like you half way robbed them. (I’m 6’6/ 300 so don’t want to feel like I bullied some poor loser.)

I'm more than willing to negotiate and actually like haggling, but I refuse to do it with myself. I put the price out. It's your move to make a (reasonable) offer.
Yup if my what’s the highest you’ll pay first response is met with round 2 of what’s the lowest you’ll take, it’s either time to explain offer/ counteroffer theory to them or I just say 1 cent less than asking.

I don't have to sell, nor have to buy something.

I hate haggling. My buying style is very different than selling. If I'm buying, I'll either pay asking price to get it done, or make an offer I see fit. If they come back with a price (say 10% of my offer) and I want it. I'll seal the deal. Anything else I'm I'm out.

If I post something, I'm typically right on the money. If someone offers me ~75%, I ignore them. Bottom dollar, best deal, etc messages are insta-blocked.

I laugh at 'tards sending pics of cash, like I give a shit.

Same. What were you planning before, pork chops?
Well I was thinking I have $2,300 in pennies and a $100 blockbuster gift card and a half eaten peanut butter sandwich I could give you for your $5,000 car. Pretty please?

maybe it is a generational thing
I don't talk price until I have:
1. seen the item
2. Can talk to the owner face to face
Most People suck at pricing and aim way too high- if they’re firm on their price it’s a waste of my time to go see it.

And most of the time if it’s something under say ~$1k and/or isn’t a vehicle/equipment, I’m 99% going to buy it if I spend the time and effort to go see it, so I might as well make sure I like the price before cranking the truck.

Last edited:
1. seen the item
This. I ignore almost any electronic negotiation unless there is a good reason for it. You offer me 75% of the price without looking at it, I respond just like the guy, except I don't continue the conversation after that. You show up and offer 75%, then we can haggle.

1. seen the item

That all boils down to:
1. Price of item in relation to value
2. How far from me the item is located

That being said, there's no bearing on price due to the distance. Excuses for fuel expense or 'meet half way' have zero merit.

Ex: If you want $6k for an item I think is worth $5k, I'm offering $5k before I drive 3 hours and waste my whole day.

I still stand by a picture of the cash and my truck being hooked to the trailer as an appropriate haggling technique.
Now I dont use it as an opener but when I can tell the seller is thinking about my offer or when I know someone else is first in line. Id say it works 90% of the time I do it. And half of those the people comment on it being the only reason they accepted my offer and knew I was serious.

I think people who dont sell on fbmp a lot arnt good at filtering out the bullshit buyers on thier poorly written add. They get sick of dealing with tire kickers and are ready to move to someone serious.

That all boils down to:
1. Price of item in relation to value
2. How far from me the item is located

That being said, there's no bearing on price due to the distance. Excuses for fuel expense or 'meet half way' have zero merit.

Ex: If you want $6k for an item I think is worth $5k, I'm offering $5k before I drive 3 hours and waste my whole day.
except, they know you are willing to drive three hours
at my house, your negotiation power have little value, you can drive home with an empty trailer and have a six hour non productive road trip to show for it

I never give my location (if buying), this is all part of the negotiation process
He who has the most information always wins :grinpimp:

Can't tell you how many of my responses have been "No. And cash is not a flex"

What the fuck else you planning on paying with, douchebag?

Some dipshit sends me a pic of a wad of cash, they're getting blocked. Complete douche maneuver.

Most of what im buying or selling is
15-30k so having the cash on hand from either side makes things happen quicker.

Also id say 50% of people assume that they will be receiving or paying with a cashiers check or transfer.

This. I ignore almost any electronic negotiation unless there is a good reason for it. You offer me 75% of the price without looking at it, I respond just like the guy, except I don't continue the conversation after that. You show up and offer 75%, then we can haggle.
If we’re talking a car or tractor, absolutely you have to come see it before I’m talking price.

If you want to pre negotiate my $200 widget for $180, fine come and get it; but I’m not negotiating further once you drive all the way here so it won’t get any cheaper.

Top Back Refresh