What's new

CL/marketplace interaction/ negotiation tactics (BaT thread hgtd reboot/ spinoff)

Most of what im buying or selling is
15-30k so having the cash on hand from either side makes things happen quicker.

Also id say 50% of people assume that they will be receiving or paying with a cashiers check or transfer.
Yeah, over $5k or so cash payment becomes less of a foregone conclusion for many people.

We were having a delightful detail tangent discussion of sending photos of piles of cash as a negotiation tactic and its perceived acceptance on left vs right coast. ( I presume op was tap dancing in a gray area of either IBB rules or bat’s)

if you missed it , I ran into this Martian on cl who was entirely unfamiliar with the negotiation process which starts with a low opening offer and is customarily followed by a counter.

Note the ad did not say ‘firm’ or no lowballers or anything of the sort.

IMG_1465.png

Anyone who throws an offer w/o actually seeing the item is usually FOS or tries to treat their offer as a new asking price to be negotiated down…

Anyone who throws an offer w/o actually seeing the item is usually FOS or tries to treat their offer as a new asking price to be negotiated down…
This was ~2.5 hr drive from me and we had discussed that. Negotiations in this case have to be firmed up before I see it.

If we’re talking a car or tractor, absolutely you have to come see it before I’m talking price.

If you want to pre negotiate my $200 widget for $180, fine come and get it; but I’m not negotiating further once you drive all the way here so it won’t get any cheaper.

You’re negotiating like the sellers owe you a favor….

This was ~2.5 hr drive from me and we had discussed that. Negotiations in this case have to be firm before I see it.

BS… the moment many buyers like you sees the item, the next thing they do is “wow… didn’t know about his issue or that issue… so would you take xxxx instead?”

except, they know you are willing to drive three hours
at my house, your negotiation power have little value, you can drive home with an empty trailer and have a six hour non productive road trip to show for it

I never give my location (if buying), this is all part of the negotiation process
He who has the most information always wins :grinpimp:

Rolls back around to I don't have to buy it. Won't accept my offer, I move on. No time wasted.

People get way too emotionally involved. Its a simple business transaction and be treated as such.

BS… the moment many buyers like you sees the item, the next thing they do is “wow… didn’t know about his issue or that issue… so would you take xxxx instead?”
We had gone through and confirmed the list of things that appeared to be dented/ damaged/nonop in his grainy poorly lit photos. On the road several hours from home as a buyer is not a great position to be negotiating price from.

If the guy preferred to only negotiate in person then he would most likely have responded with that instead of, no thanks.

Last edited:
The few times I sell shit, I price it to good to haggle over price. I don’t even respond to offers lower or what’s your bottom price. Fuck off. It’s priced to leave my place in the next day or two. I hate having to deal with shitbags trying to nickel and dime me.
Sold two new wilwood masters for $100 because I was sick of em sitting on my work bench and knew if I put them up on the shelves of forever collecting dust. I’d die with em. Guy bought em within an hour and knew he was getting a smoking deal. I felt good they would actually end up on someone’s buggy. :smokin:

I’ve pulled out cash before on buying tractor implements. Took truck and trailer on a 3 hour drive to a guy selling all of his brand new tractor implements. I told him over the phone I’d take the stump grinder and root rake. While I was there I asked what else he was selling and he said all of it. He had a 8” chipper that looked brand new, he wanted $2,500 for it. I brought an extra $2k just in case, I told him I had an extra $2k with me if he wanted to load it on the trailer, and be done with it. It came home with me, he was asking fair prices for the grinder and root rake so I just paid his prices on those.

My offer has that caveat built in. There's no post negotiating, I walk.

Bought several vehicles that way. Talked, offered, accepted, drove and wasn't as described. Walking back to my truck to leave and they'll cut the price down... they know damn well it had issues and didn't dieclose. There's always a chance of a dry run.

My favorite one is "are you open to trades?" I am really looking for cash but what do you have to trade? " What are you looking for?"
WTF
My response to that is always "cash"
In about every trade there’s someone who gets the better end of it. I’ve never received a trade offer and been like “ wow, I could probably sell that for a bunch more than my item. “

It’s always a 25yr old Japanese Harley clone or something else precisely nobody wants.

Last edited:
My offer has that caveat built in. There's no post negotiating, I walk.

Bought several vehicles that way. Talked, offered, accepted, drove and wasn't as described. Walking back to my truck to leave and they'll cut the price down... they know damn well it had issues and didn't dieclose. There's always a chance of a dry run.
Yeah my theory is you can only negotiate once- either before making the drive or after you get there. If I negotiated before leaving the house, my arrival at vehicle is just an inspection to verify condition flaws as advertised/ represented.
Now if there’s issues that weren’t disclosed or were misrepresented you have the right to request fair resolution, but take it or leave it is always the minimum assumed obligation of the seller at that point because you chose to negotiate before physically seeing it.

I still stand by a picture of the cash and my truck being hooked to the trailer as an appropriate haggling technique.
Now I dont use it as an opener but when I can tell the seller is thinking about my offer or when I know someone else is first in line. Id say it works 90% of the time I do it. And half of those the people comment on it being the only reason they accepted my offer and knew I was serious.

I think people who dont sell on fbmp a lot arnt good at filtering out the bullshit buyers on thier poorly written add. They get sick of dealing with tire kickers and are ready to move to someone serious.
The problem with that is the fact that anyone can send those pics and not show up anyway. I price my stuff fairly and dont talk money until the buyer is present and has money in his hand.

I will almost always throw shit away before I deal with dumb fucks trying to buy whatever it is. It's just not worth the time or effort of putting it up for sale.

Its either going to die with me on my shelves or it's going to die in a landfill somewhere.

I've been trying to buy an exhaust from a guy in a UTV selling group for 3 days. He listed it with other parts but didn't put a picture of it in his ad. I told him I wanted to buy it for his asking price as long as it's the one I think it is and asked for pictures. He tells me he sent me a DM so I check it and all it says is "Hey buddy" I ask for pictures and get ignored, I post in his for sale ad asking for pictures and get ignored. Fuck that retard, I give up.... :shaking:

The problem with that is the fact that anyone can send those pics and not show up anyway. I price my stuff fairly and dont talk money until the buyer is present and has money in his hand.

Fair enough but unless you have the cash you arnt sending a picture of it with a note of the item listed. Also for the price of the items I deal in cash is not the norm

This. I ignore almost any electronic negotiation unless there is a good reason for it. You offer me 75% of the price without looking at it, I respond just like the guy, except I don't continue the conversation after that. You show up and offer 75%, then we can haggle.
post decent pics and i have seen it. Seems to be real fucking complicated process these days.

People don't know how to fucking haggle any more.

The problem is people actually engage these idiots. I'm asking $5000. -What's the least you'll take? I guess I could take $4k. Congrats. You just negotiated with yourself.

When they do that I tell them double my original price. Most of them I never hear from again but every so often it fucks them up and I yell " Fish on! "

Fair enough but unless you have the cash you arnt sending a picture of it with a note of the item listed. Also for the price of the items I deal in cash is not the norm
You can do magic with photoshop and ai now...

I sell a lot of stuff and it is usually cash or a cashiers check we can cash before they get the title. Occasionally venmo.

I bought a kayak today here in Florida. It was really underpriced so i didnt negotiate, i said ill pick it up at 1:30. Inshowed up with the full asking price of 100 in my hand and tried to give it to him. The guy said hows 75? I said how's 80, I only have 20s. It was the most backwards negotiation i have ever participated in.

A few months back, I paid a guy for a roll up shop door while hastily strapping it down in the truck bed during a heavy rainstorm- He called me a couple min out of his driveway to tell me I overpaid him by $20 and to turn around. I was super impressed with that. Should have told him to keep it in hindsight, but I was sort of stunned in the moment.

I’ve pulled out cash before on buying tractor implements. Took truck and trailer on a 3 hour drive to a guy selling all of his brand new tractor implements. I told him over the phone I’d take the stump grinder and root rake. While I was there I asked what else he was selling and he said all of it. He had a 8” chipper that looked brand new, he wanted $2,500 for it. I brought an extra $2k just in case, I told him I had an extra $2k with me if he wanted to load it on the trailer, and be done with it. It came home with me, he was asking fair prices for the grinder and root rake so I just paid his prices on those.
I try to carry at least twice what I’m buying if I get the feeling I’m going to a ‘target-rich’ purchase location. I had one a few weeks back that we kept loading extra stuff on the trailer & truck til I ran out of straps and almost out of cash.

Depends on whether or not the seller is one of those "mark it up so I have room to negotiate" people.

I bought a kayak today here in Florida. It was really underpriced so i didnt negotiate, i said ill pick it up at 1:30. Inshowed up with the full asking price of 100 in my hand and tried to give it to him. The guy said hows 75? I said how's 80, I only have 20s. It was the most backwards negotiation i have ever participated in.
I bought a barely used snowblower like that in Virginia in the middle of the summer. I knew it would be worth so much more months later in MA I didn't care. :laughing:

More than once I've discounted something steeply once the buyer showed up. The price was just there to keep some scumbag from thinking they could make a quick flip.

Top Back Refresh