What's new

CL/marketplace interaction/ negotiation tactics (BaT thread hgtd reboot/ spinoff)

you miss every chance you don't take

Sure, point made. Plenty of people brag about making offers of 50% (or less) and seller taking it.

It's amusing people get so bent of of shape on either end. Don't expect a counter, for any reason.

WhY YoU No NeGoTiAtE?1

I do the 'no thanks' all the time to <80% offers. From personal experience, the have no interest I paying close to asking, so just nip that in the bud. Or they're fishing and eventually will pay asking.

One of my favorites. I sold a mower deck.

stuart.jpg

Currently working on coaxing a counteroffer out of another seller with an 'OBO' contained in their listing. they just responded to ' would you accept (20% below asking)?' with 'no thanks'.

if you don't fawking want to negotiate, then don't list it OBO... :shaking:

When I say “OBO” , I take offers and say “I’ll give it a couple weeks and if you are highest, you got it”.

Point is, it depends on the item. If a truck is worth $20k, $16k isn't an offer, it's an insult. Axle for $1000, $800 isn't far off. Go offer 800k for a 1mm property and see how far you get.

I negotiated just today. Had tires piling up in my shop. Listed them at $200/set. Someone acted interested, told them to stop by. They offered $180, I said no, they paid $200 :flipoff2: other set was sold in 30min. Why negotiate?

I think an offer of $16k on a listed $20k truck is perfectly exceptable in any situation. If it has OBO, even $10k is alright. It probably won’t get it, but I don’t think it’s an insult. Offers less that 1/2 are an insult. I’ve bought lots of stuff at 20% off asking. The only case I would offer 1/2 is if they are completely overpriced. Even then, I would apologize and say I just don’t think it’s worth that, but the offer is on the table if you change your mind.

More money for asking means more commission. They wanted an extra 10k on their part. :homer:

They get paid on percentage of the selling price, not asking. Most agents are trying to get the owners to go down so they get the sale.

When I say “OBO” , I take offers and say “I’ll give it a couple weeks and if you are highest, you got it”.

I think an offer of $16k on a listed $20k truck is perfectly exceptable in any situation. If it has OBO, even $10k is alright. It probably won’t get it, but I don’t think it’s an insult. Offers less that 1/2 are an insult. I’ve bought lots of stuff at 20% off asking. The only case I would offer 1/2 is if they are completely overpriced. Even then, I would apologize and say I just don’t think it’s worth that, but the offer is on the table if you change your mind.

They get paid on percentage of the selling price, not asking. Most agents are trying to get the owners to go down so they get the sale.
Offering 50% of asking gets you ignored and blocked.

I normally will make an offer. Sometimes a bit of a lowball but this morning someone offered me a 2012 Honda accord for $3k. If it is as described, I am just going to pay the man.

I haven't mentioned it yet but I do list nearly all of my sales OBO. If and when I get a decent offer or negotiate one I always add in this price is only good until whatever o'clock on this date and I stick to it. For example I conduct a deal at 9AM, I'll keep that price until 5PM if you can't make it by then it's back to the original price.

I find putting a little pressure on will get the item actually picked up vs. people scraping cash up from the couch cushions and asking Grandma etc. I don't end up dealing with a bunch of no shows and flakes.

Sure, point made. Plenty of people brag about making offers of 50% (or less) and seller taking it.

It's amusing people get so bent of of shape on either end. Don't expect a counter, for any reason.

WhY YoU No NeGoTiAtE?1

I do the 'no thanks' all the time to <80% offers. From personal experience, the have no interest I paying close to asking, so just nip that in the bud. Or they're fishing and eventually will pay asking.
absolutly
and when the answer is 'no' you can't get all hurt feelings over it

I'm in the hate buying and selling stuff camp. Fuck haggling. Like said, I don't need to do either. If you have something listed for a fair price, and I want it, done and I'll be there as soon as I can to pick it up. Selling...I would rather give it away to a friend or scrap it before dicking around with someone who wants to try and get another hundred bucks off what's already a bargain.

See also - show up with the proper amount of money in your pocket, always. If I've got something listed for $1500 and you show up with $1499 because that's all the money you have, fuck off and have fun paying that round trip fuel bill to return with an empty trailer. Bonus points if you play the buddy game and ask the guy who came with you if he's got an extra couple bucks in his pocket...I'm sorry buddy, your friend is shit.
Had a guy do this, "man i could only get $300 from the bank, after agreeing on a $350 price).......he magically found the other money fast...

Offering 50% of asking gets you ignored and blocked.

Have a truck listed at 'asking $14,900'.

Just received a message telling me it's overpriced, and he'll only pay $10,500 because it'll have problems in 80k miles.

Thought about inquiring about his future telling crystal ball, but was less of a headache to just block.

Reactions: DMG
I'm moving and have listed a handful of stuff on cl for what seemed fair prices, all obo

Kind of specialty stuff, vintage wheels of a certain bolt pattern, 36" bobcat bucket, weight distribution hitch, shit like that.

Not getting any tire kickers or lowballers, just a week or two goes by and a guy says he wants it, sets up a time and meets me, I've been listing stuff at 225obo 275obo etc, 2 or 3 times in a row guy hands me 220/270 etc and says he's gotta grab the 5 out of the truck, I'm so shell shocked by the lack of haggling I tell him to keep it:laughing:

I'm moving and have listed a handful of stuff on cl for what seemed fair prices, all obo

Kind of specialty stuff, vintage wheels of a certain bolt pattern, 36" bobcat bucket, weight distribution hitch, shit like that.

Not getting any tire kickers or lowballers, just a week or two goes by and a guy says he wants it, sets up a time and meets me, I've been listing stuff at 225obo 275obo etc, 2 or 3 times in a row guy hands me 220/270 etc and says he's gotta grab the 5 out of the truck, I'm so shell shocked by the lack of haggling I tell him to keep it:laughing:
Inflation turned your "I know what I got" prices into amounts people are actually willing to pay.

Have a truck listed at 'asking $14,900'.

Just received a message telling me it's overpriced, and he'll only pay $10,500 because it'll have problems in 80k miles.

Thought about inquiring about his future telling crystal ball, but was less of a headache to just block.
I've had people tell me my stuff was overpriced. Sometimes I ignore them. Sometimes I respond and basically tell them I can price my stuff at whatever price I want and if they aren't interested in it for that price, I am not forcing them to buy it. Then after I sell it for my posted price (sometimes it does takes months), I will sometimes update the ad and call them out and tell them I sold it for $xxxx and to fuck off. Funny, they never respond after that.
Sometimes it is just a matter of the right buyer finding your ad. For instance, I had some Polaris oil listed on CL off and on for a year or more. Had one guy email me a couple of times telling me I should sell it on ebay, since I obviously wasn't going to get my asking price (which was cheaper than you could buy it anywhere else...online or locally) and he was tired of seeing my ad week after week. Had others try to offer me less, which my response was, "show me where you can buy it cheaper", which of course they couldn't/didn't, so they never responded. Eventually the right buyer found my ad and bought it all for my asking price.

I offered a guy full price on his ad once and he said he'd have to get back to me because his ad said OBO. I was so confused because I never stopped to think someone may offer more. I assume they did because when I messaged him a couple days later it was gone. I always assumed OBO would be lower.

I offered a guy full price on his ad once and he said he'd have to get back to me because his ad said OBO. I was so confused because I never stopped to think someone may offer more. I assume they did because when I messaged him a couple days later it was gone. I always assumed OBO would be lower.

Ive had the same thing happen several times.... but with stuff moving so quick off fbmp I regularly offer over now just so they will hold it for a few hours.

Had a guy do this, "man i could only get $300 from the bank, after agreeing on a $350 price).......he magically found the other money fast...
Had a guy talk me down to like $350 he had $100's and $20s new price was $360 cause I ain't making change.

Nothing deflates a purchase quite like the bittersweet lingering doubt after your opening offer is met with a quick yes. [Seething through clenched teeth and plastic smile]: 'Faaaawwwwk maannn, how much less could I have paid?!???' :laughing:

I'm on a streak now of several ebay 'make offer' transactions where my initial offer of ~45% less than buy it now price was accepted quickly and without counter, and the item showing up better than advertised.

all signs seem to be pointing at affirming that we're just over the crest of the economic bubble popping... :emb:

I had a guy "against his better judgment ...." offer me 1k on a 10K ask. He quoted a similar object that was a better model he picked up for 4k.

At first I found it irritating, then I found it kinda funny. After about an hour it was hilarious.

Deleted the ad and moved along. He probably wasn't lying, except it was 25 years ago when he did all that LOL.

Ive had the same thing happen several times.... but with stuff moving so quick off fbmp I regularly offer over now just so they will hold it for a few hours.

Sold an axle recently, and the guy offered me an extra $30 to hold it. Not like a message for an extra $30 is going to persuade me, but we set a time.

He gave me the extra $30 and I gave it right back.

I have been looking for a nice deal on the M18 dual battery leaf blower, you see a ton of them on marketplace.
These things are $300 from home depot and people are asking $270 on facebook, so $50 off with no warranty and no receipt.
I also question any tool that is brand new in the box and for sale...

I have been looking for a nice deal on the M18 dual battery leaf blower, you see a ton of them on marketplace.
These things are $300 from home depot and people are asking $270 on facebook, so $50 off with no warranty and no receipt.
I also question any tool that is brand new in the box and for sale...
I know one of the popular things I have seen lately is people buy pallets of stuff from places that get the pallets from auctions (lots of time returns to Amazon and such), and sell off the individual items. I have seen several that are all power tools, so that might be what you're seeing.

Top Back Refresh