What's new

CL/marketplace interaction/ negotiation tactics (BaT thread hgtd reboot/ spinoff)

that guess which pocket has more money in it game would get you invited to fuck off:laughing:

It works. Never had anyone tell me to leave when I am paying them money and never paid all the money I brought with me. Again, I prefer not negotiating in person. That's when I go full out weird with my tactics. But the tactics work for me.

There there are the retards that drive 1-1/2 hours for a 50.00 item and sit there and insult you

Typically, I just ask them where they drove from, ask how long it took
Then take the item, and tell them that it isn't for sale, and they watch me throw it in the trash
followed by 'have a nice trip, what is that..... three hours round trip?':grinpimp:
On the buying side, I had someone once drive an hour each way to deliver a $50 HF Jack (3 Ton rapid pump) and charged me $20 to deliver it (I messaged them when I was heading that way, they replied the next day, when I said it might be a bit till I was heading back and they said they would deliver for $20).
Looked like a drywaller or painter based on his outfit, not sure how he made any money on the deal, but we met at a local business and it was as described...

I've had too many dumbasses just randomly decide to show up at my house without even discussing a meeting time
Like I'm at work at 11am "hey dis ur house wher u at im here"
Now I give them the crossroads, and the address when either I'm home or when they are on the way.
I have no interest in someone having my address and "having something come up" or showing up unexpectedly after someone else bought it when they flaked and didn't show.
After my fair share of buying and selling.
I agree with a whole bunch of stuff here.

But good lord. Would it kill people to include details and descriptions of what they are selling? At least take half decent pictures?

And what's with getting pissy when you ask for the details about something you need to know to not waste their time and yours. I don't think you should get angry when I ask if something is single phase or 3 phase for example. Pretty basic detail that will make or break a deal. Put that info in the ad or don't get mad when someone asks....

Would it also kill anybody to read the ad? I feel like I do damn good job of listing specs and being as descriptive as possible and people still ask questions that could have been answered by reading the ad....
100%, take some decent pictures (especially of any data plates or model numbers) and list the info, then the buyer just needs to actually read the ad...

that guess which pocket has more money in it game would get you invited to fuck off:laughing:
If I plan to offer X I will put that much together in one pocket so I can pull that out and not show how much more I have/had brought with me.
If I have more I will fold it separately and probably put it in a different pocket.

Aaron Z

You guys are actually pulling out money and counting it out while arguing about the price?:lmao:

Envelope with da money in the glove box of the truck. I'll go get that shit after we have figured out what the price is.

If I plan to offer X I will put that much together in one pocket so I can pull that out and not show how much more I have/had brought with me.
If I have more I will fold it separately and probably put it in a different pocket.

Aaron Z
that show me not enough money game is cute and all, but i'll just show you which way it is to the dollar general for cash back, or that way to the haji mart for a 9 dollar surcharge atm withdrawal.

that show me not enough money game is cute and all, but i'll just show you which way it is to the dollar general for cash back, or that way to the haji mart for a 9 dollar surcharge atm withdrawal.
You are misunderstanding, I don't play the "I only brought $200 for your $600 item" game.
If I plan to offer $500 for your $600 item. I will put $500 in one pocket folded together and $100 in another pocket, or folded separately in the same pocket if I am willing to spend $600, but would prefer to spend $500.
That way we don't settle on $500 and I go and pull $600 out and peel off $100 before handing it to you.

Or if you had other interesting stuff listed/pictured in the ad, I don't peel $500 off of a roll of $1200

Aaron Z

You guys are actually pulling out money and counting it out while arguing about the price?:lmao:

Envelope with da money in the glove box of the truck. I'll go get that shit after we have figured out what the price is.
I do that with larger quantities of money, but not for a smaller stuff.

Aaron Z

The 'I only brought xxx amount' guys are idiots.

Had a guy roll up in a brand new F450 platinum to buy a $800 transmission. Pulled the 'I only have $700'. Would you believe he immediately found an extra hundred. Astonishing.

Drive a POS if you want to haggle. $100k truck just blew any chance of that away.

Had a guy roll up in a brand new F450 platinum to buy a $800 transmission. Pulled the 'I only have $700'. Would you believe he immediately found an extra hundred. Astonishing.

Drive a POS if you want to haggle. $100k truck just blew any chance of that away.

Bingo. Negotiating in person, I want to roll up looking borderline homeless in a hoopty that barely runs.

I wear slacks or nice jeans and button up shirts every day driving a truck that is less than a year old. Negotiating in-person like that doesn't go well.

Show up in homeless hoopty, in-person negotiations go better for me.

Or dont try to justify your lowball with a lie. I just offer the 700, shut up and wait for an answer.

That way we don't settle on $500 and I go and pull $600 out and peel off $100 before handing it to you.
What are you afraid of? The other guy is going to say "well, since you have an extra hundred bucks, you need you to hand it over".
Has that even ever happened?

You are misunderstanding, I don't play the "I only brought $200 for your $600 item" game.
If I plan to offer $500 for your $600 item. I will put $500 in one pocket folded together and $100 in another pocket, or folded separately in the same pocket if I am willing to spend $600, but would prefer to spend $500.

Or if you had other interesting stuff listed/pictured in the ad, I don't peel $500 off of a roll of $1200

Aaron Z
so why does it matter if they see additional bills if you don't intend for them to believe that you've run out of money?
If they're supposed to not think you're out of money, then does it matter if they see you peel off bills, thus confirming you do indeed do have more money?

don't let them see your additional bills game theory is normally reserved for homeless/bums/panhandler encounters. :laughing:

If im selling I tell people I'm open to reasonable negotiations in person.

If I'm buying I show up with money in three pockets.

80% of ask in one, 10% in another, and the final 10% in the last. You'd be amazed how many people take the 80%.

If we negotiate further I'll take the rest out.

Last edited:
Silence is a strong negotiating tactic. Silence is uncomfortable for people. When you make your offer in person then stop taking. Poor negotiators will feel uncomfortable with the silence and it will play in your advantage.

Also the “I only have $xxx on me” is dumb. EVERYTIME they have more so don’t lie to me. If you want to make your offer then make your offer but don’t say “I only have $xxx on me”.

The irony is, that is why he don't have money

so why does it matter if they see additional bills if you don't intend for them to believe that you've run out of money?
If they're supposed to not think you're out of money, then does it matter if they see you peel off bills, thus confirming you do indeed do have more money?

don't let them see your additional bills game theory is normally reserved for homeless/bums/panhandler encounters. :laughing:
Are you assuming the class of the people I buy from? :lmao:
I just prefer not to flash cash around (even in small quantities), just a thing I do.
Probably a holdover from spending time in South America where I had made more in a week (at 18) than some of the people we met with made in a year.

Aaron Z

As a seller, my typical approach is to determine my lowest price and accept the first offer with payment at the ready at or above list. Close the deal and move on.

As a buyer, I'll pay asking price for a fair deal. I prefer to negotiate in person prepared to pay and take possession on the spot. If the seller rejects my offer, I'm holding my price and begin to counter with the value of their time.

My Dad is a haggler from way back and can't stand that I won't hem and haw around for hours to save a dollar. Although it is fun to watch him sometimes when he finds someone willing to go back and forth with him.

I tend to never mention price until I'm standing in front of the item.

I withdraw asking price in cash, leave what I actually want to pay in the envelope and put the rest in another pocket.

When I've inspected item, I ask "well, whatchu gotta have out of it?"

If they don't give a number I ask if they'll take what I want to give.

Then we settle somewhere between there asking price. Or I don't buy.

Sold all my tires for full asking price. Had back up offers for full price. Of course had low balls and people wanting them shipped. 1st guy showed up early. No bs, quick transaction. Second guy no call no show. Next in line was more than happy to get a shot. Showed up cash in hand easy transaction.

Still think I fielded too many messages to get to two real people. That’s why I’m not built for sales.

One I've had happen and young dude about got a lesson on was after agreeing on a price and I drive 3hrs to no where eastern Ky, was;

"Man, I got to thinking about it and I really need $xx more than we agreed on."

Kid was maybe 19 and seemed like a decent guy. So I just told him:

"Naw, we already agreed on a price and I drove over here. Now if your word is no good just let me know and we're done. But in the future I wouldn't pull a stunt like this once someone knows where you live. You know there's hilljacks without futures that'll burn your house down for shit like that."

He got it, and I ended up getting a nice KTM for a really good price.

Sold all my tires for full asking price. Had back up offers for full price. Of course had low balls and people wanting them shipped. 1st guy showed up early. No bs, quick transaction. Second guy no call no show. Next in line was more than happy to get a shot. Showed up cash in hand easy transaction.

Still think I fielded too many messages to get to two real people. That’s why I’m not built for sales.

You got lowball offers? Were kinda already givin em away werent you?:homer:

All sellers are different. I doorknocked and found a pretty decent 67 f250 crew cab short bed 2wd, complete, no rust, dented, 390 seized, but very very workable.

Old guy kinda hated the truck, had to collect it when a 2500 debt went south. Guy wasn't hurting for money, retired well, nice spread surrounded by dentists and bankers, but he was there first

I made it real clear I was happy to pay his 2500.

He was still thinking he'd fix it. OK.

I had a good repoire with him, I'd call him every 30 days or so, all how his grandkids were, and tell him I was ready to pay him his 2500

Nope, not ready to sell it.

One month I call, he tells me he sold it. I was dumbfounded. How much? 2500

I tried 10 times to pay you that

"He showed me the money"

Fuckin A. I flash cash a little more since then

You got lowball offers? Were kinda already givin em away werent you?:homer:
Yes and yes. Probably could have gotten a little more but I minimized my exposure to morons by low ballin myself. Probably left a possible $400 on the table but in 24 hours I washed my hands of them and put a couple thou back in the race car budget.

last two trucks i sold on market place have been to the first person that came and looked at them, maybe i priced too low?

07 sierra classic with LBZ, posted it for what i thought was a bit high Friday night for $19,500. phone blew up and lots of offers over messenger without actually seeing the truck or asking many questions. Saturday morning first guy comes looks at it, test drives then offered me $18,000. told him not yet since i had a ton of interested. he says okay and gave me $1000 to hold the truck for a week till he came back with the balance.

01 sierra 1500. kind of a beater truck, mechanically decent but paint was bad etc. put it up the night before, lots of messages. next morning guy comes with his wife, they look it over, and take it for a drive. tells me he wants to think on it.. sure but i have a guy wanting to drive up from 2 hours away to come buy it and is waiting on me to let him know if you buy it or not (no bullshit, one guy was messaging me but got annoying so i said fuck it. then he said he would drive up right away with the cash and had just messaged again about it) the buyer drove out of my yard and i don't think he made it the 2 miles to pavement before coming back and buying the truck. was asking $3600, i took $3300.

maybe i could have held out on both for more money??? but the quicker they sell and the less idiots i have to deal with the better. its worth something to me.

Top Back Refresh