What's new

Carnage share thread

Rear, OEM Toyota axle shaft.
53312567750_82f950a487_o.jpg

I kinda feel like I'm at a point where I break an output, I don't really want to spend the money on a chromoly output in its place and I should just go to a beefed up D300 or Atlas. Any idea how much stronger the chromo outputs are than factory? Are we talking 30% or something markedly higher?

I don't know how much stronger, no one I know broke a chromo one.

The marlin 30 spline is larger also.

I don't disagree those are better. But for a few hundred you could bolt in an upgrade and keep wheelin.

I don't know how much stronger, no one I know broke a chromo one.

The marlin 30 spline is larger also.

I don't disagree those are better. But for a few hundred you could bolt in an upgrade and keep wheelin.
Damn, I really wish I'd known that when I had Marlin build this case....would've just upgraded it at the time.

Guess I'll need to research it more then. If it's pretty rare to break a chromo one, that's the route I'd take first.

IMG_3872.jpeg

$1.3m Vericor turbine tossed its cookies from an overspeed event.

It’s missing the entire 4th wheel blade pack, and sent the blades through its enclosure.

It’s now a $400k core engine paperweight.

They’re wicked lighting off on diesel in the shop. Ran on NG off wellheads when fracking.

IMG_3872.jpeg

$1.3m Vericor turbine tossed its cookies from an overspeed event.

It’s missing the entire 4th wheel blade pack, and sent the blades through its enclosure.

It’s now a $400k core engine paperweight.

They’re wicked lighting off on diesel in the shop. Ran on NG off wellheads when fracking.
What causes it to overspeed?

For $1.3 million they better have a damn good reason. "It just randomly happens" wouldn't cut it at that price....
I would think that it would have to be caused by excess fuel for the load condition, or a sudden reduction in load (for the most obvious reasons).
For $1.3M they had better come with something to log performance data and track why they went into over speed.

If they are running on wellhead gas, how consistent the BTU output of the gas?

The local landfill has had issues with "bangs" (enough to shake houses for 1/2 mile around) in their flare towers when they get a slug of gas that has a different ratio of flammable gas to air.

Aaron Z

For $1.3 million they better have a damn good reason. "It just randomly happens" wouldn't cut it at that price....
The thing is, I’m just the mechanic, not an engineer, so, I’m told exactly dick, lol.

So an "overspeed event" is basically aerospace equivalent of shit happens!?
Not aerospace, but, more or less, lol.

I would think that it would have to be caused by excess fuel for the load condition, or a sudden reduction in load (for the most obvious reasons).
For $1.3M they had better come with something to log performance data and track why they went into over speed.

If they are running on wellhead gas, how consistent the BTU output of the gas?

The local landfill has had issues with "bangs" (enough to shake houses for 1/2 mile around) in their flare towers when they get a slug of gas that has a different ratio of flammable gas to air.

Aaron Z
With the performance data that I have seen, and could interpret (read: very little), it happened in about 1/100th of a second, and nothing behind the engine let loose. And this is like the 5th time it’s happened, lmfao! I’m sure the engineers are mitigating the issue.

From what I’ve watched on location, the gas is goes directly through a dryer/cleaner skid, twice, then to the pumps. And this is in the Hanesville basin, so, who knows how spicy things are coming out of the hole.

I should also add that this particular company, 1.3m ain’t shit, as thy have like 60 of these units total split between Canada and down here, and the units are around $4M each.

The amount of money pissed away in the oil industry blows my mind. I see it all the time but still can't wrap my brain around it...

The amount of money pissed away in the oil industry blows my mind. I see it all the time but still can't wrap my brain around it...
I was on a Shell job in the Gulf of Mexico. All of the rigging was "one time use". Brand new shit. If it went in the water, it was destroyed as soon as it hit the surface. It was insane.

Millions of dollars is just a rounding error to those folks.

When I was flying in the gulf, my company charged about $2700 an hour for me and the helicopter. One time the platform Forman sent me to the beach to pick up some “medicine”. I flew there and back in a little over two hours and gave him a brown padded envelope. He opened it up in front of me to get the tin of chewing tobacco out.

I was on a Shell job in the Gulf of Mexico. All of the rigging was "one time use". Brand new shit. If it went in the water, it was destroyed as soon as it hit the surface. It was insane.

Millions of dollars is just a rounding error to those folks.

The industry is hard enough to break into that there's little pressure to cut costs.

MBAs would drool over the bonuses you'd get trimming that sort of waste.

The industry is hard enough to break into that there's little pressure to cut costs.

MBAs would drool over the bonuses you'd get trimming that sort of waste.

The real problem is........like on the job I just posted about....was that the "one time use" on all the rigging was pushed by their safety folks. As soon as even the dumbest idea is associated with safety, it's game over and you can't even mention how stupid it actually is.

Rarely have I ever ran across a safety guy that had even the slightest clue about how work actually gets done. All they know is what they've been taught in the 5884332 hours of classes they've sat through, being taught by another guy who had zero experience in the real world. We have a saying that says "If you suck at everything become a safety guy".

If your MBA tried to trim something that was a waste but somehow associated with safety, he'd be fired. Even if he was right. It really has gotten that stupid.

The real problem is........like on the job I just posted about....was that the "one time use" on all the rigging was pushed by their safety folks. As soon as even the dumbest idea is associated with safety, it's game over and you can't even mention how stupid it actually is.

Rarely have I ever ran across a safety guy that had even the slightest clue about how work actually gets done. All they know is what they've been taught in the 5884332 hours of classes they've sat through, being taught by another guy who had zero experience in the real world. We have a saying that says "If you suck at everything become a safety guy".

If your MBA tried to trim something that was a waste but somehow associated with safety, he'd be fired. Even if he was right. It really has gotten that stupid.
If the businesses was actually in danger from competition the safety guys would be reigned in. Which brings us right back to lack of competition.

Also there's ways around that shit. Lease the rigging or whatever.

Top Back Refresh