What's new

Carnage share thread

JR4X

wheeler
race
Member Number
Loc
Farmington NM
Apparently the stuff I’m just used to seeing broken on a regular basis is big news to some people. Going to start keeping a photo diary of all the stuff that gets broken around me. Bump this thread every time you’ve got something broken to share.

photo40913.jpg
photo40914.jpg
photo40910.jpg
Currie rockjock HP 60, broke the teeth off the ring gear going forward. Put it in reverse and the ring gear shoved the pile of broken teeth through the bottom of diff casting.

Last edited:
Broken hp60 in the rear isn't a big shocker.

That ried c is pretty impressive though. :eek:​​​​​​

As far as the gooseneck, did it break right next to the weld for the gusset? Was it way over loaded since "I'm only going a few miles"? :flipoff2:

Broken hp60 in the rear isn't a big shocker.

That ried c is pretty impressive though. :eek:​​​​​​

As far as the gooseneck, did it break right next to the weld for the gusset? Was it way over loaded since "I'm only going a few miles"? :flipoff2:

yes and yes. I didn’t get to join in the rescue but I’m told. Dad didn’t have any air in the airbags. Hit a dip that caused the rear suspension to bottom out and the weight had enough inertia to clean break the C channel. There was no signs of fatigue, the break started at the HAZ at the gusset. It’s at welding shop getting a whole new tongue put on it now

photo40928.jpg
photo40929.jpg
Only Yukon joint failure I know of. Spidertrax 1 1/2” 35 spline 300M shafts. Hard to say but not enough grease?

yes and yes. I didn’t get to join in the rescue but I’m told. Dad didn’t have any air in the airbags. Hit a dip that caused the rear suspension to bottom out and the weight had enough inertia to clean break the C channel. There was no signs of fatigue, the break started at the HAZ at the gusset. It’s at welding shop getting a whole new tongue put on it now

Damn. Alfalfa bales?

2.250 7075 aluminium link with 1 1/4” shanked rod ends. Came down on a link, broke the link in half and broke a 1 1/4” chromo rod end shank. Broke the coilover too.

This one is cool to see, right at the stress riser going from solid to the corner of the drill. The pealed away end looks like a piece of fruit. 7075 in that size is crazy strong as well. I guess it is super strong in bending but weak at the ends since the wall thickness is only .5" once drilled. I wonder if a 1" shank would have faired better.

Last edited:
Only Yukon joint failure I know of. Spidertrax 1 1/2” 35 spline 300M shafts. Hard to say but not enough grease?

What is the normal grease interval on the Yukons for go fast use at the Hammers? I hear once a day for rec wheeling, and I doubt that there is time to grease during KOH race day. Wonder how dry they are after a long race?

Flipped Dana 300 had one of the shift rail caps come out and drained all the oil while going down the highway in Moab. The low range gear friction-welded itself to the front output shaft and spontaneously engaged front-lo at 60 MPH (rest of the case was in hi).

I'm kind of glad the diff housing was the weak link. Looking at how much the radius arm (2" x 0.25 DOM) bent from the tire/diff trying to roll the beam under the truck, at least the diff relieved the load and I could still drive to the side of the road and stop.

Click image for larger version Name:	995323_10100847969040289_529353775984106233_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	260838

Click image for larger version Name:	12417562_10100847969135099_517811254840556587_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	260839

Click image for larger version Name:	12963629_10100857705643059_4299990822498639768_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	260840

Click image for larger version Name:	12991027_10100859571728409_4253474520587896196_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.1 KB ID:	260841

Click image for larger version Name:	12938069_10100859581234359_452849668698647688_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	260842

You can tell from the bearings that things got a little warm there. Took every bit of my 20-ton press to get the gear off the output shaft.

What is the normal grease interval on the Yukons for go fast use at the Hammers? I hear once a day for rec wheeling, and I doubt that there is time to grease during KOH race day. Wonder how dry they are after a long race?

This was on a 4 wheel steer rec wheeler with 42” krawlers and water in the tires. These get greased first thing before leaving camp every day. Just a day ran long and too many hours ran between greasing.

Impressive straight demarcation on the right side...
what's up with that?
Or did I miss sumthin?

Shock load? Not even sure what broke it. It’s from the short side of the rear axle in Bailey Campbell’s white monster IFS car.

This one is cool to see, right at the stress riser going from solid to the corner of the drill. The pealed away end looks like a piece of fruit. 7075 in that size is crazy strong as well. I guess it is super strong in bending but weak at the ends since the wall thickness is only .5" once drilled. I wonder if a 1" shank would have faired better.

We upsized to 2 1/2” after this incident and drill the shank depth shallower.

Kalif Reddin JHF portal CV explosion. I hate how the video quality goes to shit by uploading it to YouTube. I took this video, on my phone it’s so clear you can almost count the 6 CV balls bouncing off the canyon walls and one zings right past the phone in my hand. YouTube quality potato video :mad3:

https://youtu.be/xJ4wNbWWjRY

Is it possible that it just took tons and tons of abuse and had enough? Or was it not in the car very long?

Since we never felt it break I think it had to be previously fatigued. Ryan thinks it was flipped over. As in used shaft, the unit bearing end got put in the spool end so it was spun the wrong direction from what it’s used to. There was no point we had something happen that we thought, uh oh, that had to break something. We just eventually found out we had 3 wheel drive. Broke on the first lap, did 7 laps with that clanging around in the axle tube. I only had to get out and winch once, Ryan beat the HELL out of that car the rest of the race to make up for it and keep it moving.

Since we never felt it break I think it had to be previously fatigued. Ryan thinks it was flipped over. As in used shaft, the unit bearing end got put in the spool end so it was spun the wrong direction from what it’s used to. There was no point we had something happen that we thought, uh oh, that had to break something. We just eventually found out we had 3 wheel drive. Broke on the first lap, did 7 laps with that clanging around in the axle tube. I only had to get out and winch once, Ryan beat the HELL out of that car the rest of the race to make up for it and keep it moving.

What kind of axle was that shaft being run in?

Top Back Refresh