What's new

Carnage share thread

Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	261128
What kind of axle was that shaft being run in?

It’s a Currie 4340 chromoly 10” housing in a 4400 car. Not much more to it.

Last edited:
870 hp U4 car... nothing much to it!? Lol 😂:smokin:

What snouts/hubs, they look big enough to clear 36 spline TT shafts?

One thing that scares me about gun drilled shafts is the failure mode. I used to have some pics from years back, but I haven't found 'em yet. That one doesn't look like it flared out too much so it probably wasn't the worst to remove from the housing (especially if the housing didn't have welded on spindles), but in the circle track world I observed a few that broke nasty. Split lengthwise like that one did, but twisted and expanded to the point we bent the spindle trying to pound them out. It's only 31 spline so it's not exactly a big truck shaft, but they fail weird.

*edit* These weren't the ones that got big stuck, but this shaft still banana'd a bit when it broke and had to be hammered out.

IMG_3790.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3790.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.0 KB ID:	261144

IMG_3790.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3790.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.0 KB ID:	261144

Last edited:
Flipped Dana 300 had one of the shift rail caps come out and drained all the oil while going down the highway in Moab.

You can tell from the bearings that things got a little warm there. Took every bit of my 20-ton press to get the gear off the output shaft.

Testament that the D300 case isnt as weak, like everyone makes them out to be.

Why I dont trust C-channel GNs.

Testament that the D300 case isnt as weak, like everyone makes them out to be.

Why I dont trust C-channel GNs.

Is there such a thing as non c-channel goose necks? I can think of one trailer I have seen in my life that wasnt c channel goose. It was prolly 10" round tube all miter'd and welded.

Is there such a thing as non c-channel goose necks? I can think of one trailer I have seen in my life that wasnt c channel goose. It was prolly 10" round tube all miter'd and welded.

I can’t think of an open deck GN that didn’t have C channel for the whole frame and neck. I had a cargomate enclosed trailer that 2x8 box tube instead of C but it was pretty thin wall.

I can’t think of an open deck GN that didn’t have C channel for the whole frame and neck. I had a cargomate enclosed trailer that 2x8 box tube instead of C but it was pretty thin wall.

I-beam. Delco and Diamond C off the top of my head.

Most trailers are C channel and it works for 95% of the folks out there.

Brian Rippy's broken 35 spline 9" shaft @ Harlan and am looking for the picture of the Dodge D60 rear toothpick shaft I broke last year.
Two trailer flats outside of AOAA. What a cluster that was, took about 24hrs to get fixed and home.
Broke TH400 case

photo41030.jpg

photo23446.jpg

photo23447.jpg

photo41039.jpg

photo41040.jpg

Last edited:
Doubler with 6.5’s?

It’s a sidekick doubler, kick/Dana 300. All stock d300 at that. So, 1.8, 2.6:1, and double low of 4.7:1. 6.50 diff gears, too. Decently low geared for 50hp. Haha

2” 40 spline gun drilled 300M Spidertrax rear shaft.

When I built my first swaybar, I used a sprint car torsion bar, and being sprint car stuff, it was gun drilled. It eventually (in about four months, I think) broke, and the break looked like that, I think from the back-n-forth flexing. I replaced it with a solid bar, and that solid bar is now on its second car, near 15 years later. Weighs twice(ish) what the hollow bar weighed, but takes back-n-forth. Makes me curious if there's something to that, if because of the back-n-forth loading, gundrilled axles are maybe not the best idea for a crawler, good for drag cars, but the farther you get from purely one-direction loading, the worse it is for them (or they are for that application) ? I do know the sprint car guys say to mark your bars, and only ever use a bar in the same corner as originally installed, never ever ever swap side to side or they'll break from being twisted backwards.

cross post but it belongs here. 14B broken ring gear for
TrailTamer since he refuses to acknowledge it.

I love it ❤️ Thank you.

broken 14b ring & pinion is almost unheard of. The only other one I know of is Spidr’s 14b pinion he sheared off, most likely because the dual granny low manual transmissions he built. :laughing:

I love it ❤️ Thank you.

broken 14b ring & pinion is almost unheard of. The only other one I know of is Spidr’s 14b pinion he sheared off, most likely because the dual granny low manual transmissions he built. :laughing:

I tried to find the picture of spidrs broken pinion.

Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	262706
Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	104.0 KB ID:	262707
Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	118.3 KB ID:	262708

Broke a side gear in an ARB, as the pieces were coming out the window holes of the arb case it chewed the bridge for the 3rd pinion bearing of the mega hi 9 case. Junked about a $4000 dollar differential.

Last edited:
Not as crazy as some of these. But this was an aftermarket fork in my doubler. This was the rear NP241. Not sure if it was bent, or just a "Friday" piece. But it rubbed on the planetary and melted everything. This didn't have hardly any miles or abuse on it
KIMG4512.JPG

KIMG4510.JPG

KIMG4503.JPG

Top Back Refresh