What's new

Carnage share thread

broken 14b ring & pinion is almost unheard of. The only other one I know of is Spidr’s 14b pinion he sheared off, most likely because the dual granny low manual transmissions he built. :laughing:

You need to hang out with rock bouncers some more :)
Seen broken Dana80s too...

Shearing a 14b pinion is news to me though. That's something !

You need to hang out with rock bouncers some more :)
Seen broken Dana80s too...

Shearing a 14b pinion is news to me though. That's something !

anything can and will break, i saw a 14b axle shaft get broken with a stock toyota transfercase output shaft, that same output broke 2 toy axle shafts too :homer:
all with 36" iroks :laughing:

photo41354.jpg
photo41357.jpg
photo41356.jpg
Remind me not to let jr4x drive any of my shit:flipoff2:

Some of the shit you guys have managed to break is downright impressive:beer:

Before anyone gets in the passenger seat with me I make them take a good look at the passenger side of my rig. If they look at it and still get in they have clearly signed the waiver. This is an 06 LJ with 24,000 actual miles on it. It’s been years since it could fit a windshield frame, top or doors. I wish I hadn’t ruined the AEV hood that you can’t get anymore but oh well.

Small pile of things for me. Toyota based rcvs fj80 tre, stock xterra rear shift and a trail gear leaf springs

photo42118.jpg

14b.jpg

4.88s in a 14B, was running in 700HP K5 on 44s mud racing, no brakes on front axle, PSC steering pump running GM hydroboost, came out of pit hit the brakes, and the front axle overdrove the rear causing the carnage

warn.jpg

Misc pic of broken 10 bolt warn chromo axle shafts and mulched toyota R&P all out of mud trucks (toyota had 383 stroker and 35x10.5 boggers)

Yep and gypsum im 30 mins from 10 falls

Took me a minute but now I remember who you are. I used to live in GJ. I’ve been out trail riding with Jeremy before, can’t remember if you and I ever got to go wheeling together?

I've got some carnage for this thread, I stripped 2 teeth off a ford 9" 8-9 years ago, on 36" tires. Heavy shock load to both rear tires at the same time (why the 35 spline shafts didn't break) behind a manual trans with lots of rotating mass. I did break a 1330-1350 conversion joint at the same time though. I blame carrier flex on this 9" failure (detroit with no load bolt), because the breakage happened outside the wear pattern which didn't change before and after the break. Preload was good after the break as well, though backlash was at the top end of spec.

It happens at 0:39 in this video. You can see I bounce off the rock face due to having minimal compression valving, and my tires actually bounce off the face of the rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dsH...el=ChrisGibson

Breakage pics:

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

Never did stop running with one rod laying on the ground.

Haha, neither did mine! I ended up shutting it off because it didnt have enough power to make the hill I was trying to shoot up. I didnt know what happened until my buddy walked up with a connecting rod in his hand.

Nothing too dramatic, but i'll toss in some pictures :) I tried like hell to get a 22re i bought with supposedly a Rod Knock to window the block, turns out it was just a bad head gasket. ran it until it whistled and finally wouldn't make enough power to get up a hill or idle below ~1500 rpm :laughing:

Toyota 9.5" factory spider gears welded into a spool. ran without oil, welds failed and gears ate themselves

IMG_2467.JPG

Dana 300 23 spline input shaft with a twist

IMG_2609.JPG

the "just buy the damned rock rings the first time" picture

bent wheel.jpg

mud makes it easier to find frame cracks :flipoff2: 1987 toyota frame, never really braced but finally cracked both 'horns' where the 2 C sections are shoved into each other and where the front craossmember goes

IMG_1686.JPG

Toyota 8" ring gear meets Utah sandpaper rocks, with expected results. cheap lightweight indian spool picked up 0.012" of runout. it worked well for a long time on old tires and slick rocks. :laughing:

IMG_1742.JPG

That last one is when we met at Sand Hollow, correct?

yup, i broke 2 rear diffs, blew out the studs on a hub, 2 inner front shafts, and a front hub gear on that trip :laughing: didn't quite get a full day of wheeling in, but it was a blast and also what finally convinced the wife that it was time to build a legitimate 4 seater with more power and (slightly) bigger axles.

photo42849.jpg
Mega hi pinions with the 3rd bearing nub broken off. Shock load can snap the end off. Mega switched gear MFG’s and we haven’t had this happen in a couple years.

what the hell did you do to crack it down the centerline? Is that common? seems like chunks out of middle like your first picture and other wise edge damage would be more likely.

that's got to feel like shit when it splits in two while on the car

JR4X

How did you know the 3rs pinion nub snapped? Did it cause gear damage also that can't be seen in the Pic?

Also, as far as the race lines, I've heard they are a little weak. But they're also light. I realize that wheels are a consumable while racing, but stronger is still better. Have you guys had any better luck with other brands?

what the hell did you do to crack it down the centerline? Is that common? seems like chunks out of middle like your first picture and other wise edge damage would be more likely.

that's got to feel like shit when it splits in two while on the car

Tireballs, put a ton of outward pressure on the wheel. They also make it so you can’t exactly feel how hard you’re hitting shit. That one happened at the Stampede in NorCal, little brother hit the rocks to hard and you could hear the wheel ping Chrystal clear over all the full throttle race engines from 300 yards away.

JR4X

How did you know the 3rs pinion nub snapped? Did it cause gear damage also that can't be seen in the Pic?

Also, as far as the race lines, I've heard they are a little weak. But they're also light. I realize that wheels are a consumable while racing, but stronger is still better. Have you guys had any better luck with other brands?

We find them during race prep. Since it’s so easy to pull the pinion support to inspect gears dad does after every race. Drop the drive line, pull the pinion out and you can inspect both R&P. One set we ran long enough with no 3rd bearing that it wore the gears out sharp. But we’ve never broken a tooth on the Mega’s.

The only other wheels we raced on were trailready’s. They didn’t fair out any better.

We find them during race prep. Since it’s so easy to pull the pinion support to inspect gears dad does after every race. Drop the drive line, pull the pinion out and you can inspect both R&P. One set we ran long enough with no 3rd bearing that it wore the gears out sharp. But we’ve never broken a tooth on the Mega’s.

The only other wheels we raced on were trailready’s. They didn’t fair out any better.

Good point, I guess I never thought of just pulling the pinion.

I had a set of kmc's on my 4runner when it burned, they kinda semi melted and you could see how thick they were. The shell is probably 3-4 times thicker than what you posted. They aren't my favorite style, but for the price, they are a great wheel. I realize any wheel will break if you hit something hard enough, and sponsorship may play a roll. I was just curious if you noticed any wheel holding better than others.

sponsorship may play a roll. I was just curious if you noticed any wheel holding better than others.

Sponsorship aside IMO the two best wheels are KMC machetes and ATX slabs in that order. I need to do a wheel comparison thread to discuss the differences between each. Before I went to bed I forgot that I raced on trailgear creeper locks. I broke the inner shells of those as well.

Racelines are light and nice, I believe anyone can get on their racer program.

I'm not nearly as hard core as some of you :D My last big break was a 19 Spline RCV chromo that took out the spindle and wheel bearings

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=165048&d=1602887482.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.3 KB ID:	277737
Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=165049&d=1602887487.jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.0 KB ID:	277738
Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=165050&d=1602887492.jpg Views:	0 Size:	323.1 KB ID:	277739

image_43138.jpg

I cut around the base of the splined hub, made two opposite cuts parallel with the axle shaft, and split the splined hub off with a chisel. The outer wheel bearing cage and rollers came off with a few taps of the chisel and BFH.

Click image for larger version Name:	img_20200405_110907-jpg.3872501.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.6 KB ID:	277743

Obviously this is a shitty option for any case where you want to reuse parts but the spindle is fucked up and I wasn't making any more progress trying to beat the rotor to get it to come off.

The end of the spindle was so fucked up that it wouldn't let the shaft slide out -- the 19 spline outer is a couple mm smaller than the inner shaft. The spindle was ovaled a bit and keeping the larger dia porting of the shaft from coming through

Click image for larger version Name:	img_20200405_110907-jpg.3872501.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.6 KB ID:	277743

Anyways, time to keep cutting. I cut the threaded end off and the shaft slid right out

Top Back Refresh