What's new

Carnage share thread

The real problem is........like on the job I just posted about....was that the "one time use" on all the rigging was pushed by their safety folks. As soon as even the dumbest idea is associated with safety, it's game over and you can't even mention how stupid it actually is.

Rarely have I ever ran across a safety guy that had even the slightest clue about how work actually gets done. All they know is what they've been taught in the 5884332 hours of classes they've sat through, being taught by another guy who had zero experience in the real world. We have a saying that says "If you suck at everything become a safety guy".

If your MBA tried to trim something that was a waste but somehow associated with safety, he'd be fired. Even if he was right. It really has gotten that stupid.
As a safety guy, this is all true:laughing:

Reigned in would be nice, just applying a little common sense into the mix would make me happy.

When you have to tell someone, "For that to happen, it would have to fall up", common sense has left the building.:flipoff2:

Reigned in would be nice, just applying a little common sense into the mix would make me happy.

When you have to tell someone, "For that to happen, it would have to fall up", common sense has left the building.:flipoff2:
Yea 99% of the industry is idiots. Pretty easy to get hired and or move up by just having a personality or people not wanting to punch you at the mere sight of you :laughing:

I will say I make operations teams sit at the table and help me write new processes, or modify current ones, I tell them this way it's not so overbearing nothing gets done. I actually can't stand when we get assigned to change things in a bubble.

Last edited:
The equipment in the oilfield costs millions and they hire rednecks for $24 bucks an hour to “operate it”. Went down twice on low engine oil pressure, Clear the code and start it again.
Proof positive that $$$ and brains don't usually hang out:lmao:
1702257703198.gif

The real problem is........like on the job I just posted about....was that the "one time use" on all the rigging was pushed by their safety folks. As soon as even the dumbest idea is associated with safety, it's game over and you can't even mention how stupid it actually is.

Rarely have I ever ran across a safety guy that had even the slightest clue about how work actually gets done. All they know is what they've been taught in the 5884332 hours of classes they've sat through, being taught by another guy who had zero experience in the real world. We have a saying that says "If you suck at everything become a safety guy".

If your MBA tried to trim something that was a waste but somehow associated with safety, he'd be fired. Even if he was right. It really has gotten that stupid.

Honestly, I don't blame them at all for single use rigging, that's literally nothing compared to the waste most are talking about. If someone cared, you could have a bin where "used" stuff gets bundled up and sold, but I'm sure they don't do that :laughing:

If someone cared, you could have a bin where "used" stuff gets bundled up and sold, but I'm sure they don't do that :laughing:
Or the dealer of the equipment would lease it to them or do a subscription model or some shit.

Plenty of options for the business inclined crowd to cut waste without crossing the vest wearing and bullet deserving.

at dads shop, all the slings chains and rigging stuff we have is pulled from service stuff from work. I’ve had to throw away nice fall arrest harnesses for being out of date, still sealed in a bag brand new.
All my straps and slings are retired ones from jobs.

Honestly, I don't blame them at all for single use rigging, that's literally nothing compared to the waste most are talking about. If someone cared, you could have a bin where "used" stuff gets bundled up and sold, but I'm sure they don't do that :laughing:

All the wire rope and nylon slings had the eyes cut right there on the boat. They even had the divers take their knives to the lift bags before they even came to the surface.
The rigging we had might have cost 100k-200k.....a drop in the bucket really, until you think about how many jobs Shell had going on all over the world at that same time.

Then you go to India and they're lifting loads with 1/2" polypro, standing under the load and not a tag line to be seen.:shaking:

All the wire rope and nylon slings had the eyes cut right there on the boat. They even had the divers take their knives to the lift bags before they even came to the surface.
The rigging we had might have cost 100k-200k.....a drop in the bucket really, until you think about how many jobs Shell had going on all over the world at that same time.

Then you go to India and they're lifting loads with 1/2" polypro, standing under the load and not a tag line to be seen.:shaking:
OSHA…never heard of her…

OSHA…never heard of her…

OSHA had zero to do with the destroying of the rigging.

To be honest, I don't know how much OSHA is involved with offshore. I've been through all the retarded safety courses and then some (because offshore) and I can't remember any being an OSHA course, or OSHA required.

Now you have me thinking. Gonna did through my certs.

EDIT:

Out of the 17 certs I have to carry around (in the states), only one mentions OSHA. But even that one (H2S) also lists API and CFR. All of the others are API (American Petroleum Institute) and CFR (Coast Guard. ie. Code of Federal Regulations). That said, I think I've done two jobs in the states since 2014.

Ok, I'm done fucking up this thread. Apologies.

I do have some kinda carnage to share. Tree fucked my shop up a week ago.

IMG_20231201_114536.jpg

IMG_20231201_115143.jpg

Last edited:
OSHA had zero to do with the destroying of the rigging.

To be honest, I don't know how much OSHA is involved with offshore. I've been through all the retarded safety courses and then some (because offshore) and I can't remember being an OSHA course, or OSHA required.

Now you have me thinking. Gonna did through my certs.
My OSHA comment was in relation to how things go in India/other countries without safety standards etc.

My OSHA comment was in relation to how things go in India/other countries without safety standards etc.
Sorry, I'm retarded and completely missed your point.

Overseas everything falls under IMCA (International Marine Contractors Association). It is absolutely the most bullshit org I have ever seen in my life and are out of London. Even typing IMCA gets me pissed off. They don't publish rules or laws.......they call them guidelines. So if something happens and you were following IMCA, they'll say they were only guidelines and you should have done something different. If you weren't following them, they'll say you should have been following them. But IMCA takes zero responsibility for anything they put out.
The put out guidelines for everything from how to operate a DP vessel to how to use a fucking come A long.
My bell diving supervisor ticket is through IMCA. I have to have it work over seas. It's a money sucking racket.

On land in India, I think they do rock, paper, scissors to determine the safety guy.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm retarded and completely missed your point.

Overseas everything falls under IMCA (International Marine Contractors Association). It is absolutely the most bullshit org I have ever seen in my life and are out of London. Even typing IMCA gets me pissed off. They don't publish rules or laws.......they call them guidelines. So if something happens and you were following IMCA, they'll say they were only guidelines and you should have done something different. If you weren't following them, they'll say you should have been following them. But IMCA takes zero responsibility for anything they put out.
The put out guidelines for everything from how to operate a DP vessel to how to use a fucking come A long.
My bell diving supervisor ticket is through IMCA. I have to have it work over seas. It's a money sucking racket.

On land in India, I think they do rock, paper, scissors to determine the safety guy.
No problem at all. Should have tried to bold/color change the font I was referring to anyway.

That sucks on the tree carnage!

Yea 99% of the industry is idiots. Pretty easy to get hired and or move up by just having a personality or people not wanting to punch you at the mere sight of you :laughing:

I will say I make operations teams sit at the table and help me write new processes, or modify current ones, I tell them this way it's not so overbearing nothing gets done. I actually can't stand when we get assigned to change things in a bubble.

I could work with you.:beer:

I actually have worked with a few "cool" safety guys that understood how things work and had common sense. It was always more relaxing and their input was welcomed.

This one seems dumb but pertinent. Last Thursday I get to work after it had rained for about 12 hours straight. It’s muddy but I’m getting around ok with no chains till I find an electric utility truck stuck in the road, no way around them. They’ve got front chains on no rear chains, haven’t lost all ability to move yet but can’t get the ass back on the road. I threw on my front chains and had nowhere to turn around. So I nose up to the truck where I’m all the way in the ditch to their right. We hook up the tow rope to my front hook and I have them try to drive forward while I back up trying to get their ass end to pivot back up on the road. My 2019 superduty in 4 low spins the tires backwards a little, straightens the truck up a little and I can feel I’ve got a good bite to the road. I give it a little gas pedal to pull into it and BOOM crunch crunch goes my front differential.

It didn’t break an axle shaft. It didn’t break a ring and pinion. It broached the splines out of the side gear. Kinda took the edge off the axle splines but I can almost spin this side gear on the axle by hand. The good one next to bad one for comparison. Pretty disappointed in the side gears but the 1550 u-joint feels brand new, the axles didn’t twist or bust the ears off and the R&P were fine. They told me after my front end sounded like a bowl of Rice Krispies that the bucket truck weighs 24k pounds.

IMG_5333.jpeg
IMG_5360.jpeg
IMG_5361.jpeg
IMG_5362.jpeg

Pretty obvious they weren’t messing up too deep. I wonder if all factory axles are that shallow of fit?

Good point, reminds of when a birf star or hub gear cracks. Doesn't 100% strip splines because it can expand.

Doesn't look like this is the case though.

Quality control has just gone to shit. No way that would have been the weak link on an axle built before covid :laughing:
I can 100% see some textbook engineer deciding that they can skimp on the heat treat, or spec an alloy that lends itself better to the gear teeth duties for the side gear because the root of the spline is bigger (because female part) and the simulation says it will last the warranty.

Cheaper to un-stick trucks than pay the workers comp claims when everyone goes deaf running those tires on the highway. :flipoff2:

JR4X

Given all the stories you tell us, I'm always surprised y'all don't have stuff like this :

1703079201683.png

Seems like this would make life a lot easier with less breakdown / stuck events.

All the transmission line and wind farm companies run stuff like that down here because of the environment those trucks have to live in. I've also seen crane trucks with tracks wrapped around the rear set of duals so the truck isn't useless in the mud. It has to be a nightmare when the job is over though, hauling all those trucks out on low boys or swapping out all the tires/tracks before going to the next job would be a giant time/money suck.

JR4X

Given all the stories you tell us, I'm always surprised y'all don't have stuff like this :

1703079201683.png

Seems like this would make life a lot easier with less breakdown / stuck events.
The company I work for now is way to short sighted to do something like that. In January of this year they had to pay a roustabout daily wages and rent on a 4x4 back hoe to drag trucks around. I put in a request to let us build one truck for just such an occasion. My idea would have cost less than one month of backhoe tow truck and it would have been something they owned instead of a sunk cost but request denied.

Understood. Not surprised.

I've got stories on how we spent millions doing something dumb but can't afford paper for the copy machine.

The company I work for now is way to short sighted to do something like that. In January of this year they had to pay a roustabout daily wages and rent on a 4x4 back hoe to drag trucks around. I put in a request to let us build one truck for just such an occasion. My idea would have cost less than one month of backhoe tow truck and it would have been something they owned instead of a sunk cost but request denied.
put in another request to lease a large helicopter. They might will take the bait, because retarded amount of $$$ and down few employees for months as y'all get sent out (and get paid) for helicopter pilot training and the company get to 'have' a big helicopter. All approved because it's costly.

1703081324872.png

It has to be a nightmare when the job is over though, hauling all those trucks out on low boys or swapping out all the tires/tracks before going to the next job would be a giant time/money suck.
I think that's why specialized tracked chassis sitting on trailers (spider lifts, drill rigs, etc, etc) so vastly outnumber trucks that have been made more amenable to going off road. Cheaper/easier/faster/better to just drop the trailer onto your usual truck before leaving the yard than trying to manage which employees are in which trucks with which specialized tools and who's skilled for what and which trucks can go where.

put in another request to lease a large helicopter. They might will take the bait, because retarded amount of $$$ and down few employees for months as y'all get sent out (and get paid) for helicopter pilot training and the company get to 'have' a big helicopter. All approved because it's costly.

1703081324872.png

Like this ?

B920DB0F-8C92-40A0-BF71-ADF24B17212F.jpeg

I didn't get sent for pilot training :flipoff:

Top Back Refresh