What's new

Another 1st gem - Kernel MusTURD

My brain: "I'm going to make a super secret cowl bar brace that goes through the empty space under the wipers! It will be super sweet"

20221001_085039.jpg

"Just need to hole saw this 2nd layer of useless sheet metal"

20221001_085044.jpg

"doh!" :homer:

So my original plan was to rebuild the lower b pillar with this 3x5x120. Now that I chopped the roof, it seems odd to have it and the sliver of door sticker area there.

I have an idea of how to make it look more in place, but not sure it's happening before this trip.
20221001_194835.jpg

Also, a Pic of the fender area just cause. Kept it simple since it will be covered anyway.

20221001_195743.jpg

Mostly mild 1.75x120, fucking $10/ft almost everywhere in a 2 hour radius. I did manage to find a small fab shop who sold me some for $7.50/ft, but still :barf:

Chromo was $15/ft...

I was also trying to use up some of my pile I moved up, so a couple peices of 1.5x120 Dom, and even some hrew in non critical spots. C pillar bracing is 1.75x090, then I used 1.75x188 for the upper windshield bar and the stinger deal. I figured I'd rather lower the chance of the bar welded to the windshield bending if it does end up upside down. :laughing:

Hrew is $10/ ft! +50% doesn’t seem too
Bad, but hot damn!

That was 1 3/4x120 Dom

A few places gavee prices for Hrew and it was ~$5/ft. Which is still horrible and a waste of time and money imo.

I almost ordered up a pipe die! :laughing:

Got the fenders on, came out OKish since there was already cuts from a previous cage. Debated building tube door bars vs putting the half doors on and obviously decided to just throw the half doors on.

20221002_114031.jpg
20221002_114036.jpg

Shot of the seats in.

20221002_144623.jpg

Finally moved for the first time in a bit. Happens to be the middle ones 5th birthday too. He was proud of his new overalls. :grinpimp:

20221002_153341.jpg
20221002_153348.jpg

Also had to widen the rails on my trailer. Did a quick and dirty job, 2" per side. Fits like a glove now. Was going to try and leave tonight, but I'm pretty beat. So planning on just leaving super early tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20221002_153355.jpg
    20221002_153355.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 12
Made it..... It's almost 1230, so 1130 our time. Too fucking long of a day driving. Spent 80% of the time at 80mph too. :laughing:

Truck and trailer ran perfectly. Well until I was backing into the air bnb a little hot and heard a loud bang.....

1020 miles and it give up here :lmao::lmao::lmao:
20221004_001054.jpg
20221004_001102.jpg

Nice. Already breaking shit as soon as you arrive. Little scotch tape and it will be good to go.

Finally got out and hit a few lines today.

First thing. The floor was hot as fuck on the drive over, plus hot air was blasting my legs :homer: by the time we finished the 15 minutes from town to the park I had to go straight to the lake.

I left the rubber floors and console cover the previous owner had made out and I think that was a mistake. Part of the issue is the muffler is right off the header, there is no heat shield right there, plus the full belly pan isn't helping. I grabbed some 25 carpet mats from o'reillys and took the half door off, seemed much better.

As far as crawling, it seemed to do good on the few lines I hit. Seems surprisingly stable and wieght balanced for a leaf sprung pos.

Also, the carb actually does pretty decent for what it is at some crazy angles, but it's no efi. Not sure what to do there.

Wife has all the pics on her camera so far :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Ls….. er I mean 3rz! Did you route the vent tube to a catch can? The stock carbs do surprisingly well. When Nick and I were competing the carb never stalled on us, but would not restart if we stalled on our side or some crazy angle. Always fired up once it was back on all 4’s

It's a webber actually. PO rerouted the vent tube. It will run damn near vertical with a tiny bit of throttle and surprisingly will restart with some throttle, even at that angle.

Earlier, I was sitting on a stupid steep climb and I could keep it running, but it wasn't happy.

It works great for 90% of anything most would do, but this place is just ridiculous :laughing:

I know, that's the easy route for sure. I like the simplicity. But not sure I want to deal with packaging 2 round tanks and a fuel that's not as easy to get.
That's my only regret with propane. Spare fuel being kind of a bitch to figure out and street driving being a complete non-option both suck. Anybody make some kind of adapter for a chevy tbi to a toy manifold?
ETA: Home brewed dual fuel might work decently. Still leaves you with packaging issues with the tanks though

That's my only regret with propane. Spare fuel being kind of a bitch to figure out and street driving being a complete non-option both suck. Anybody make some kind of adapter for a chevy tbi to a toy manifold?
ETA: Home brewed dual fuel might work decently. Still leaves you with packaging issues with the tanks though

GM tbi with micro squirt and a turbo is tempting. I know a guy who's done it on a a few different rigs.

Went back out for some night wheelin yesterday. Only issue was I lost the clutch, on a steep climb earlier, got it back bleeding it, then lost it again right at the trail head. Went to bleed it again and noticed the fitting was loose :homer: oh well, easy fix.

Did a bunch of random lines trying to find a certain trail, then trying to get out :laughing: this place is super easy to get lost in the day, much less at night. If you're not careful there is 20'+ drops.

IMG_20221005_155803.jpg
IMG_20221005_155804.jpg
IMG_20221006_012418.jpg
IMG_20221006_012424.jpg
IMG_20221006_012415.jpg

IMG_20221006_012422.jpg

Tires are wearing in nice for just a few days :smokin:

20221006_081003.jpg

so the boat side trapping all the heat, i mean thats obvious , maybe try holes like 1 or 2 inches diameter on the top half to get some heat to leave. maybe it will work or maybe it wont.

do doors off help?

one thing i did to my old Toyota exhaust that ran under drivers seat is welded a couple 1/4 bolts to the top of the exhaust pipe that went under the floor, then bolted a piece of metal to that to create said heat shield.
fuck i just remembered all the shit i did. hahahahaa
and this guy

1665081914939.png

Top Back Refresh