What's new

Another 1st gem - Kernel MusTURD

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Like I need another project...... Did a total impulse buy today. Saw it listed pretty cheap and jumped on it. No idea what I'm going to do with it. Maybe walk through cab so I can have the whole family ride?

Has a few decent parts, 67" 9.5" diamond front/rcv/grizzly and fzj80 rear. New tires and wheels (need to trade these for bigger or sell) 30 spline tcase outputs. Dual transmissions..... Yes transmissions :lmao:

20220816_201701.jpg

Edit:

Adding a list of things I want or need to do before rubicon/Fordyce 2023

-mount ecu (ammo can?)
-install dash

-install stereo with back up cam :flipoff2:
-Redo/wrap exhaust
-build cooler mount
-build roof rack

-seal gap between cab floor and bed
-build spare driveshaft
-fluids
, bolt check
-organize spare parts and tool bags
-fix tcase popping out of gear, hopefully just a detent spring missing (was not it and had to pull tcase :laughing:
-mount side mirrors
-mount led tail lights and front blinkers

Last edited:
So it's about as legit as you can do it. L series behind the engine so it's ~5" shorter than a w56. Then it's an r150 with an adapter to a 23 spline gear drive case.
do show us some better pics, and what is the advantage over dual cases? this is so interesting

do show us some better pics, and what is the advantage over dual cases? this is so interesting

Maybe later.

More speeds! :laughing::flipoff2:

I think it was originally just a cheap way to basically add a 4:1 box. Guys also say you can throw the rear trans in 3rd and it's similar to running ~5.29s.

Toyota used the same 21 spline as the tcase on the trans input, so it was just a matter of making the plate.

The problem was that the rear trans usually wasn't happy with ~4x the torque going through it.

It's definitely an interesting experience to drive :laughing:

Maybe later.

More speeds! :laughing::flipoff2:

I think it was originally just a cheap way to basically add a 4:1 box. Guys also say you can throw the rear trans in 3rd and it's similar to running ~5.29s.

Toyota used the same 21 spline as the tcase on the trans input, so it was just a matter of making the plate.

The problem was that the rear trans usually wasn't happy with ~4x the torque going through it.

It's definitely an interesting experience to drive :laughing:
I'm guessing maybe its easier to shift between low range gears as everything should be synchronised?

I'm guessing maybe its easier to shift between low range gears as everything should be synchronised?

Yep, you can shift either one just like normal.

I'm thinking about pulling burnt my tcases from my 4runner and seeing if the 4.7 gears are still good. My thought is that is that using higher gears up front should take stress off the rear case?

Or just run it :homer:

Run it!
Put both transmissions in reverse and the tcase in low and let us know what happens.

So I've been running a million different plans through my head. Main thing now is I am trying to get some bigger tires with more backspacing. I have 2 guys who sound interested in trading. One has ~3/4 tread 38x11 boggers (:laughing: old school) on regular 15x8s, straight trade. The other is almost new 38x13 maxxis creepy crawlers on 15x8 allied steelies and I would have to throw in ~$600.

Obviously, I'd totally prefer the maxxis, but I'd be OK with the pizza cutter boggers for now.

It also needs steering, the box is drilled and tapped already and I have a nice psc assist ram in my stash. I was thinking about doing the old school trick, like this.

Although, I just found this.

Speedway Steel Power Steering Pump V-Belt Pulley AN10 Inlet

With the pully and adapters, it's a pretty good price.

fwiw the boggers have paper thin sidewalls, it got to the point where i was lucky to make it through a day without popping one

fwiw the boggers have paper thin sidewalls, it got to the point where i was lucky to make it through a day without popping one

Wierd, I remember guys running them semi often back in the day. Almost the perfect size Toyota tire.

I have never had much of a problem with sidewalls.

Have a date with the maxxis guy tomorrow. It's 5 hours one way, so I'm really hoping it works out :laughing:

Been thinking about the transmission for some reason with the L series….

A guy on Marlins board put the tailshaft from an L series in a G series and shortened the case housing 5” to make a mini G series. Probably could do the same with the W series. Gain the stronger trans with the removable bell. It’s a lot of work tho 😂

62F29BB5-B570-4E81-B07E-FCCF8A2A4D51.jpeg

F6D04915-DC67-4478-B00B-FA133F578AB9.jpeg

Been thinking about the transmission for some reason with the L series….

A guy on Marlins board put the tailshaft from an L series in a G series and shortened the case housing 5” to make a mini G series. Probably could do the same with the W series. Gain the stronger trans with the removable bell. It’s a lot of work tho 😂

That actually interests me quite a bit. I have most of the parts to do a ringR set up (zuk engine to w56) being that it's for a zuk, the shorter, the better.

So I could try to find a 1st gen long bed to mount up and Bob. Seems kinda boring and full width beds seem to hang up on stuff.

So my father in law is giving this away and it's almost the perfect size. :laughing:

20220821_174056.jpg
20220821_174049.jpg

Not sure if I'd move the fenders back, make new ones or just ditch them, but even though I generally hate step side beds on anything built after about 1950, I think this could have a cool look.

I'm sorta thinking this look... :confused:

76244715.jpg

If that doesn’t work go find a fence row 48-52 Chevy for the box. Did some measurements years ago and thought it’d be a good fit.
So I could try to find a 1st gen long bed to mount up and Bob. Seems kinda boring and full width beds seem to hang up on stuff.

So my father in law is giving this away and it's almost the perfect size. :laughing:

20220821_174056.jpg
20220821_174049.jpg

Not sure if I'd move the fenders back, make new ones or just ditch them, but even though I generally hate step side beds on anything built after about 1950, I think this could have a cool look.

I'm sorta thinking this look... :confused:

76244715.jpg

If that doesn’t work go find a fence row 48-52 Chevy for the box. Did some measurements years ago and thought it’d be a good fit.

I'm like 49% sure this is an early-mid 40s chevy box. It's really about a perfect fit. Ends right at the shackle hangers. And is like 3" wider than the frame. It's actually the exact same inside width as my samurai (46") so the 80s dodge caravan bench seat I just mounted in there would be a perfect fit

Tires mounted up after grinding the rear calipers :homer: looks way better. I also took the opportunity to measure the wms. It's 67" with ifs hubs and slip on rotors. I'm contemplating switching to solid axle hubs to narrow it up a bit. If anyone has a nice setup who wants to trade, let me know. I'm at 80" overall width in the front and 77" rear, and my little trailer is 77.5" so I think if I ditch the ifs hubs, it should squeeze on.

I also am noticing more and more shit that needs to be addressed. Hiem bolts were loose, the Hiem shanks have more exposed threads than I'd like, and both front u bolt plates are not sitting snug on the leafs.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh