What's new

Another 1st gem - Kernel MusTURD

Changed my mind a bit on the tabs. My buddy up here offered up bags of 5/16 rivnuts and the tool for free. Then put me in contact with a local bro dozer semen truck builder who will cut stuff out pretty cheap. So 60pcs for $70 (got plenty extra, :laughing: and he offered to do them same day :smokin:

I'm got 2 different versions, 1 for corners. Hopefully it covers all bases.

20230118_101013.jpg

I'll definitely be using this resource a lot from now on.

Test fitting looks like my plan worked.

I'm surprised that this type of tab isn't more common. The common trick tabs don't work very well on anything but a straight tube.

Straight sections without sticking out too far.
20230118_102315.jpg

90* corners

20230118_102341.jpg
20230118_102349.jpg

Acute corner

20230118_102400.jpg

Only thing I'd do next time is a larger radius on the corners. I told him 1/4" and clearly it's not a 1/4" radius :laughing:

How did you know? :laughing:

Ya, i got a late model E350 rear I'm going to use. It's full float, 8 lug this time. Not sure if I want to get another arb and some 35 splines or weld it and run the 32 splines for now.

Scored a roof at work today. Some assembly required
20230116_155511.jpg
20230116_155507.jpg

Cut the front to shape, the straight duct tape line throws the eye, but it follows the tube. Went past a bit so I can wrap it down. Plan is to have some type of weather stripping anywhere roof touches tube. For sealing and noise damping.

20230116_164426.jpg

Going to order some of there to make it easy.

Every since you built your last 60 i've been seeing a ton of vans at the junkyard. Seems like a no brainer for a cheap(ish) rear axle with deep gear options.

Have you looked into an ox locker over the arb? They seem to be the same price wise

Every since you built your last 60 i've been seeing a ton of vans at the junkyard. Seems like a no brainer for a cheap(ish) rear axle with deep gear options.

Have you looked into an ox locker over the arb? They seem to be the same price wise

They come semi float or full float. I think the semi float is a good donor and the full float is pretty decent as is. I like 14b's and all, but not everyone needs that large of an axle. But if you go back to a 70s-80s rear 60, they're 30 spline and 3" tubes, so more of a 1/2t axle with 8 lugs.

Last edited:
Well I decided to go all in on the cabana fab. 12x20 from HF for $400. :smokin: It's a little bit tight, but not bad, and better than being in the elements. I'm thinking about picking up some railroad ties to set it on. Another 6" would be nice (that's what she said) a little more room over the truck, would seal up the corners of the garage door, plus I could anchor it to them instead of the gay shit them gave me in the kit.

20230118_174932.jpg
20230118_175609.jpg

Well I decided to go all in on the cabana fab. 12x20 from HF for $400. :smokin: It's a little bit tight, but not bad, and better than being in the elements. I'm thinking about picking up some railroad ties to set it on. Another 6" would be nice (that's what she said) a little more room over the truck, would seal up the corners of the garage door, plus I could anchor it to them instead of the gay shit them gave me in the kit.

20230118_174932.jpg
20230118_175609.jpg
One thing I did with mine to help it last was span it was 2x4 for the feet to bolt onto. Really helped keep its shape in the wind. Before the legs would walk amd ended up ripping the tarp

One thing I did with mine to help it last was span it was 2x4 for the feet to bolt onto. Really helped keep its shape in the wind. Before the legs would walk amd ended up ripping the tarp

It came with some auger style anchors, but being that I'm part on concrete, part dirt and part compacted rock, I didn't even bother.

The length of this one is tied together well with the framing, but you're talking about running 2x4s width wise?

I've been keeping a couple rigs under these things for several years. I've had two come down from snow overnight. Probably not such a big deal with your truck being caged and topless. I'm hoping to actually build something this summer

I've been keeping a couple rigs under these things for several years. I've had two come down from snow overnight. Probably not such a big deal with your truck being caged and topless. I'm hoping to actually build something this summer

Where are you located? We typically get snow very gradually and it's usually light.

Not saying it's not possible, but I think I'll be OK, I'll try to keep it clear as much as possible though.

I just assumed you where dealing with a lot of snow. I'm in Ravensdale Wa. I guess it makes sense your snow would be lighter. The tents have actually held up pretty good until they didn't. It sucks when they come down. Dented the hood on the Samurai and the roof of my Toyota. If your not getting a ton of snow overnight You should be fine.

I just assumed you where dealing with a lot of snow. I'm in Ravensdale Wa. I guess it makes sense your snow would be lighter. The tents have actually held up pretty good until they didn't. It sucks when they come down. Dented the hood on the Samurai and the roof of my Toyota. If your not getting a ton of snow overnight You should be fine.

I grew up in norcal, so probably more similar snow to yours. 9/10 storms here you can clean stuff off with a leaf blower :laughing:

Added lights, the white inside is nice for making it bright.

20230119_104200.jpg

So 2 of my buddies texted me screen shots of someone posting this thing on a Toyotaholics fb page :laughing: I had to wonder if it was someone from here.

IMG_20230119_201624.jpg

Messed with roof a bit today. Just hammered the front down, the rear I think I'll have to take up to the local fab place.

20230119_112444.jpg

Got all the tabs on and primered the top so just need to add some paint, drill holes, install rivnuts and weather strip.

A buddy mentioned something that made me think about adding some simple tie down points and maybe also a very basic rack. Something like some 1"x090ish running front to back with bends on the end and a cross bar at each end. Just enough to keep things like a tent, camp chair or snow sled in place if a strap loosens up.

Although I do have a kinda neat roof bag that makes it easy to throw stuff in and keep the dust off.

Ahhhhhh! Stuff like this drives me insane.

Buddy lent me a rivnuts tool. The threaded part was chewed up and looked like a regular Allen head 5/16x18 bolt. Trying to be nice I grabbed 2 new ones at the hardware store. I finally go to use it and the hex drive size is different :homer:

Been to 4 places with hardware in town and they're all the same. I can't fathom why they would make a proprietary bolt that looks exactly like a regular bolt but one size smaller Allen Drive
20230120_131210.jpg

Tabs, paint and foam. Did it everywhere to help with noise hopefully.
20230120_152629.jpg

20230120_152623.jpg

Got it all mounted with temp hardware.

20230120_161402.jpg

I'm happy with everything except the driverside doesn't line up well between the front and back pieces. Not a huge deal to trim.

More importantly, I don't like the leading edge.

20230120_160141.jpg
20230120_160044.jpg

I think I'm going to cut some 2" wide strips and put a small bend in them lengthwise. Then add some rivnuts to the windshield frame it's self.

jealous of the tin roof, high on the list of things to do!

that dual trans setup is pimp!

jealous of the tin roof, high on the list of things to do!

that dual trans setup is pimp!

I do really like the shade cloth roof for summer. I'll be curious to see how this is in the sun vs the shade cloth.

The point of the aluminum is to try and seal it up from the elements.

It's a blast to drive that's for sure :laughing:

Added the strips in the front and put the button heads and rubber washer on. I'm hoping these will seal the holes, but I guess we'll see. If not I plan to put them between the roof and rivnut also.

20230121_163039.jpg
20230121_165253.jpg
20230121_165314.jpg
20230121_165329.jpg

It worked out that the strip pieces over lapped the windshield seal also, which is just another layer of sealing.

I'm still not confident in the corners, but worst case I can add more weather stripping and/or silly cone.

20230121_170126.jpg

Edit: fuck it, may as well do it now.
20230121_171336.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. Might be cool to do up some half doors with snap on, soft top style windows.

It was a little rough watching you cut this thing up but its turning out really damd good

It was already pretty beat up when I got it, made it easier to cut up. :laughing:

I have the full doors still plan to just cut the bottom off and use them as is for now. But I do like that style of half door for that unpredictable time of year. (all year here :laughing:)

Next step is to try and fit the door frames back in there. Hopefully it's not too difficult........ :homer:

i am a cheap ass and should have just got the wide open design panel tabs with rivnuts all ready done, but i went to Welcome to A&A Manufacturing - Chassis Components and got the panel tbs here for about a buck a piece shipped. so 40 for 38 bucks, but still have to do the rivnut.

i am a cheap ass and should have just got the wide open design panel tabs with rivnuts all ready done, but i went to Welcome to A&A Manufacturing - Chassis Components and got the panel tbs here for about a buck a piece shipped. so 40 for 38 bucks, but still have to do the rivnut.

I've used the pre-assembled tabs before and it can make getting your holes right a pain. I took a bolt and sanded the end to a point. Set the roof up there in the right spot. Thread the piece in from the bottom and hit the aluminum in that spot with a hammer. It works pretty good, but takes a long time.

Since I have the tool, it's a lot nicer to be able to mark the roof through the open hole. Then drill. I still did a few holes at a time, installed those inserts, then put bolts in before marking the next holes. Kept me from getting to far out of wack. :laughing:

Also, haven't really mentioned it anywhere, but I'm currently trying to film my fab process and eventually make a watchable video. It's new to me, but I'm going to give it a shot. :smokin:

Gave you a follow:beer:
It's hard to remember and feels kind of redundant posting both here and on Insta. Least that's what my experience has been. Then again I'm never going to be an influencer and don't care so there's that.

Gave you a follow:beer:
It's hard to remember and feels kind of redundant posting both here and on Insta. Least that's what my experience has been. Then again I'm never going to be an influencer and don't care so there's that.

Thank you, we appreciate it!

We are going to give the YouTube thing a shot. We a lot of different projects and trips, so why not share it and maybe be able to grow it into something?

Posted the first fab video today. What a pain to edit :laughing: should get much easier with time.

Subbed on both my channels to pad your numbers.

Just curious, what's the endgame with IG/YT? Tryna get "influencer" points towards discounts/free parts? Think you're gonna quit your day job?

I'm not judging, but I hope you're going to keep up the IBB stuff as if all you want is a legacy and the respect of your peers this is the place to be.

I'd also like to recommend Rumble, even if its just a mirror of your YT channel. Rumble needs more off road content. I've posted all my best stuff there (YouTube is basically a dumping ground for me to share with all the normies in my life who want to see our groups vids:laughing:).

Subbed on both my channels to pad your numbers.

Just curious, what's the endgame with IG/YT? Tryna get "influencer" points towards discounts/free parts? Think you're gonna quit your day job?

Thank you

I don't know, going to try and take it fairly seriously. If one day I can be able to quit my job and do this type of stuff full time that would be awesome.

I'm not judging, but I hope you're going to keep up the IBB stuff as if all you want is a legacy and the respect of your peers this is the place to be.

The video stuff is very time consuming, not only filming, but editing also. I have been here(or pbb) since 2001, so I'm not going anywhere. :flipoff2:

I'd also like to recommend Rumble, even if its just a mirror of your YT channel. Rumble needs more off road content. I've posted all my best stuff there (YouTube is basically a dumping ground for me to share with all the normies in my life who want to see our groups vids:laughing:).

I'm all for spreading out as much as I can if it means more exposure.

Well, I'm pretty pissed, this thing drive to the store and back fine, then wouldn't start yesterday morning to go wheelin. :homer:

Found the wires from the dist to the msd box melted. Being determined to go out, I went to the parts store, grabbed a GM module and wired it in, but still nothing. :mad3:

Ended up just hoping in the 4runner and having a blast, but I really did want to take this thing out.

Did I see an instagram clip of this laying on it's side, and another truck attempting to right it by driving into it?

I might have been impaired posting that :lmao: NVM:homer:

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh