What's new

2002 TuRD

Pulled the front axle out last night:
IMG_20231215_201007363.jpg

Going to RR the front axle while it's out/when I do the 5th stud to it.
IMG_20231215_212809549.jpg

Glad to see this big bastard that got in the way of everything finally going bye bye
IMG_20231215_210437770.jpg

Plan is to spin the rear leaf hangars around and that will push the front axle 4.5" forward and give me uptravel. Going to notch the frame and swap in an IFS box with hydro assist. Also plan on moving the airbumps.

I didn't do much else last night, just laid under it with a flashlight looking for broken stuff and measuring. Everything looks good!!:smokin:

You going to have enough frame for an IFS box up there?

You going to have enough frame for an IFS box up there?
I should! I have roughly the same as Connor, and he's got one on there. I narrowed it when I did the chop, I am kind of worried about box to radiator clearance, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I don’t understand the step back in steering boxes. Forward swing should be much easier to package than rest swing… especially that far forward

I don’t understand the step back in steering boxes. Forward swing should be much easier to package than rest swing… especially that far forward
That big bastard got in the way of everything, and there as no way to get my axle in the right spot with where it was.

That big bastard got in the way of everything, and there as no way to get my axle in the right spot with where it was.

You’re going to have to move a rear swing ~16”+ farther forward than that box. Way into the core support and front body mount… and at 4.5” forward on the axle centerline, probably will have to rebuild all that crap.

Not sure how that’s going to work. It’ll be way easier to package a forward swing…

You’re going to have to move a rear swing ~16”+ farther forward than that box. Way into the core support and front body mount… and at 4.5” forward on the axle centerline, probably will have to rebuild all that crap.

Not sure how that’s going to work. It’ll be way easier to package a forward swing…
So I'll have to do what 98% of every solid axle swapped Tacoma or 4runner has to do, sounds insurmountable... :flipoff2:

So I'll have to do what 98% of every solid axle swapped Tacoma or 4runner has to do, sounds insurmountable... :flipoff2:

If your friends told you to jump off a bridge… would you do it? :flipoff2:

Forward swing will be way easier to package. And it has a much better feel than the oscillation of the rear swing/forward steering arm.

It’s the one thing I wish I had done different when I upgraded to the 4WU system.

I’d get your axle set… then see what fits. I bet the current box will be easier than ifs.

If your friends told you to jump off a bridge… would you do it? :flipoff2:

Forward swing will be way easier to package. And it has a much better feel than the oscillation of the rear swing/forward steering arm.

It’s the one thing I wish I had done different when I upgraded to the 4WU system.

I’d get your axle set… then see what fits. I bet the current box will be easier than ifs.
That box is like 2x's bigger than the IFS box and sits right where the shocks and bump stops are supposed to go and the tie rod smacks right into the pitman arm, maybe if I found one of the 3 unicorn smaller forward swing boxes that haven't been made in 30yrs it would work!:flipoff2: I have been working around that big bastard since 2016, does it have some ok features, sure, but slapping a smaller box further forward opens more options up for me. I would like to do what Malburg114 did and put a inside the frame rail box on it, but that is a pretty large can of worms that I don't feel like opening.

Bet you a Happy Meal (pre Biden dollars) that forward swing is easier to package. :flipoff2:

I should! I have roughly the same as Connor, and he's got one on there. I narrowed it when I did the chop, I am kind of worried about box to radiator clearance, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I’d think as long as you’re pushing the shackle hanger forward with the whole axle shift, I’d think you’re fine chopping out the body mount that’s already cracked and broken on pretty much all Tacomas. I had to trim the radiator bracket to fit the box too so pretty much everything floats a little on the left front aside from my battery support bracket.

Plus fitting coilovers, bumps, and shock towers down the line with links will be a way bigger pain in the ass with a forward swing box than cutting some core support tin.

I’d think as long as you’re pushing the shackle hanger forward with the whole axle shift, I’d think you’re fine chopping out the body mount that’s already cracked and broken on pretty much all Tacomas. I had to trim the radiator bracket to fit the box too so pretty much everything floats a little on the left front aside from my battery support bracket.

Plus fitting coilovers, bumps, and shock towers down the line with links will be a way bigger pain in the ass with a forward swing box than cutting some core support tin.
Yea that's my thinking. It's all fucked up, broken and falling apart anyway and has to be addressed, just chop it out and make a new body mount up there. Good part is I don't have to worry about the battery up there anymore falling through the fender.

Any reason not to run an FJ80 steering box? Forward swing and smaller than the Ford(?) one you have now?

Any reason not to run an FJ80 steering box? Forward swing and smaller than the Ford(?) one you have now?
I already have a tapped IFS box for one and 2 they are a pain in the ass to find. I have enough niche land cruiser shit on this truck already, I don't need any more lol!!

Man when my friend still had his old shop open he had a customer that insisted on running one of the ford boxes he bought from PSC with all bling stuff on it. The Tacoma was linked and the box just took up a huge amount of space. Everyone on the net kept telling the guy how great it that box was and the guy had no clue about anything. It took him actually going to the shop and seeing it mocked up with both the Ford and IFS boxes till he said do the IFS box. It's been years since I heard anything of the truck but as I recall it never had issues with the IFS box.

Damn now I kind of remember how much BS and drama surrounded that build:laughing:

Man when my friend still had his old shop open he had a customer that insisted on running one of the ford boxes he bought from PSC with all bling stuff on it. The Tacoma was linked and the box just took up a huge amount of space. Everyone on the net kept telling the guy how great it that box was and the guy had no clue about anything. It took him actually going to the shop and seeing it mocked up with both the Ford and IFS boxes till he said do the IFS box. It's been years since I heard anything of the truck but as I recall it never had issues with the IFS box.

Damn now I kind of remember how much BS and drama surrounded that build:laughing:
Sounds about right:laughing:

When I sas'd my 4runner, I had an FJ80 and ifs box to mock up. Even the small FJ80 box just didn't fit well. Like slander said, it's right where the shocks need to be and you end up with the tie rod hitting the pitman arm.

I ended up selling the FJ80 and using the it's box. My axle wasn't super far forward, but it was enough that 42 pitbulls barely rubbed the tubbed firewall. Box was just up against the core support. It was a 90, not 96+ but I don't think they're that different?

Last edited:
you talking about one long weekend max.

remember we do all this because we think it it will be easy. :beer::grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yea ok.....

Again the main objectives of this work: push the front axle forward to get uptravel, fix the steering, fix anything I find broken before April so I can wheel it again. Linking a street driven truck isn't "one weekend max" working solo in a garage never having done it before, oh and waiting for 5months for coilovers to show up from China cough chays cough :flipoff2:

Last edited:
I got coilovers and link stuff ready to go lol you just say the word! Fox 2.0 coilovers on sale for 20% off to

what size?
tons of sizes, all the Fox factory race series shocks are on sale since they are coming out with new skus and cerakoted bodies. I will PM you a link

Slander you can get a pair of Fox 2.0x14 remote resis with Eibach springs for $1036.32 to your door. The johnny joint kits with weld bungs are $405 for 6 kits. All you would need after that is link brackets from Ruffstuff, you already have the box and air bumps

Top Back Refresh