What's new

2002 TuRD

Well I'm officially ready to wheel in a couple weeks!
IMG_20231013_204757453.jpg

Side note this is the first thing I have welded in a long time actually on a bench and not curled up under the truck. It actually makes welding enjoyable:laughing:

Just got back from wheeling hawk pride in Alabama. Truck worked great, I really need to unfuck this front end though. It works on the trail, but the lack of up travel has me pogoing off the bumps all day, what's the hotness in non Toyota leaf springs these days? Thinking about some yj leafs since those should be easy to source for the foreseeable future. The rear end is working awesome, I set the airbumps a little too low in the rear, but that means if I ever decide to upgrade to 40s I am setup for that lol!!
IMG_20231028_134101403_HDR.jpg

compressed_1698676152221.jpg

compressed_1698676110101.jpg

As usual no issues on the trail besides blowing the alt-s fuse randomly dropping hard off a rock. Truck drove me and my shit 80mph 8hrs there with the AC blowing and all my shit piled in the back, I wheeled anything I pointed it at for 3 days and did the reverse trip home:smokin:.
IMG_20231029_152312115.jpg

So I'm thinking push that front axle forward to fix my suspension and steering issues, and farm out an exo cage for it are the next plans.

Last edited:
Anecdotal story, but everyone I know who has used that kit has either had to modify it or realized it would have been just a little extra work doing some math to save some money when they are done. It doesn't sound like assembling Legos for a front link kit. Anecdotal though.

The frame section I haven't re done is rotting apart, so leafs may be the interim until future Geoff deals with that.

Again I'm one of the new oddballs in the hobby that enjoys wheeling waaaaaaaaay more than building these trucks.

Hard to beat YJ leafs for the price. So many options at around $150-250 a pair. Personally I like bds for the double mil wrap, life time warranty and many different arch options

Hard to beat YJ leafs for the price. So many options at around $150-250 a pair. Personally I like bds for the double mil wrap, life time warranty and many different arch options
That's what I'm going for I think. There's like 1 Toyota vendor left these days and Toyota leafs are dumb expensive relatively speaking, so trying to move away from that. I like the fj62 RUF, but expensive and hard to find.

I'm not a fan of working on things either vs wheeling but once your done with the 3link you should be pretty dialed and only doing basic maintenance like replacing link ends. I would go with universal brackets and make your own kit. The 4WU stuff is cool but doesn't work out of the box for everyone

I'm not a fan of working on things either vs wheeling but once your done with the 3link you should be pretty dialed and only doing basic maintenance like replacing link ends. I would go with universal brackets and make your own kit. The 4WU stuff is cool but doesn't work out of the box for everyone
That's down the road. I need to figure out what I'm doing long term with this thing frame wise. The winter work will get me through the next 1-2 seasons with my vertebrae intact.

That's down the road. I need to figure out what I'm doing long term with this thing frame wise. The winter work will get me through the next 1-2 seasons with my vertebrae intact.

whats the deal with the frame?

Truck looks great and Hawk Pride is always a good time. Are you going back for RBD?
Thanks man, love hawk pride! I won't be there for RBD though.
whats the deal with the frame?
Midwestern 21yr old rotting taco frame, fronts new, rears new and the leftover is rotting apart, trying to decide what I'm gonna do with it.

Thanks man, love hawk pride! I won't be there for RBD though.

Midwestern 21yr old rotting taco frame, fronts new, rears new and the leftover is rotting apart, trying to decide what I'm gonna do with it.
you should have listened to me. :flipoff2:

you should have listened to me. :flipoff2:
I already said why I didn't do that multiple times. I live within 5hrs of 20+ off-road parks, I'm not having my truck down for a year plus totally rebuilding it. Too much wheeling to do.

I already said why I didn't do that multiple times. I live within 5hrs of 20+ off-road parks, I'm not having my truck down for a year plus totally rebuilding it. Too much wheeling to do.
I didn't listen to you, either. :flipoff2:

I looked at the factory frame diagram I had out of the fsm :laughing:

You willing to share that - if you have them for a single cab short bed, that is. I think I'm about to open this same can of worms on the truck I just bought.

You willing to share that - if you have them for a single cab short bed, that is. I think I'm about to open this same can of worms on the truck I just bought.
Search around Tacoma world, I think I found a reg cab one on there. Here are the measurements I used and sent to the vendor to bend up my frame rail. I recommend going that route instead of cutting and splicing stuff. I used sschassisworx near Charlotte to bend my rails up out of 2x3 3/16.

Attachments

• slander 2002 Taco Frame.pdf
    122.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Top Back Refresh