What's new

2002 TuRD

any chance you can modify the oil pan? Somewhere I have pics of a 4runner that the builder had to modify the pan to get the HP a bit more room.
otherwise, I think you're going to have to go taller.
It's as clearanced as far as it can be because of the pickup tube.

And yea whatever did happen to those two?

50psi in your airbumps. that goes for 97.45% of the people that trail wheel and are reading this. as for the springs ... id heavily consider getting custom ones made matching your current dimensions to simplify your life.

if you are going to rework the front end to make other leaf springs work, you might as well link it.
If I'm paying for custom leafs, then I'm almost in C/O money and I may as well just link it :laughing:

Linking isn’t going to solve the space issue… going to make it more crowded

Edit: if you stay SOA, consider looking at reverse eye springs like GRM used on his 86 xcab. More arch with less overall lift.

Last edited:

Edit: if you stay SOA, consider looking at reverse eye springs like GRM used on his 86 xcab. More arch with less overall lift.
I had those on my old yj definitely nice.

last i heard he was selling it, just save yourself the headache and buy it

GRM

I'm guessing boogerweldz Instagram name is: blumpkinmaster69420?

Your pretty close, why haven't we gone wheeling yet?
Paul Ryun on IG. I don't think he wheels anymore.

I'm in South Central VA, where's Hickory NC?
Planning Big Dogs ORV in August if I get my shit running.

Don't remember on the bump PSI, I need to get a nitrogen kit and start playing them and I have some for the rear I need to install as well.

I'm starting to test amd tune hydro bumps now use TGs bumps (older gen Kings). Picked them up as 4" stroke, reduced to 2.25" and starting with 50mL of 5wt shock oil. Working on getting access to N2 to work on psi pressures.

Separate thread for that Hydro bump tuning

Yes new springs will be part of the package if I move everything, I built the front end around some free fj62 rear leafs I got, they work great offroad and ride decent on road, but are bitch to find. So I'll probably go with a yj leaf or something easier to find, probably not RUF because it's not 2003 and Toyota leafs are pretty scarce around these parts.

Don't remember on the bump PSI, I need to get a nitrogen kit and start playing them and I have some for the rear I need to install as well. I want to raise the truck up a bit anyway, it physically gets beached on shit as is.

Total uptravel is 2" until I'm in the oil pan.

chaplinfj60 front frames already cut off and tubed out with 2x3. So really the limiting factor after everything else is the motor itself. Hence why I need to move that tie rod and raise the truck.

Root cause of all this is marking IFS axle center my fender before cutting, then fucking up and setting the new axle on that center line instead of moving forward. First ever SAS, so in the grand scheme of things compared to the struggle street I have seen with other people with DW, ripping parts off frames and stuff like that, I'll take my error anyway over all that LOL
What about picking up a set of All-Pro/TG front springs? That would give you a 20in front side. You would probably move the axle forward 2-3 inches over the fj62 springs. Option 2 would be find some OME rear pickup leafs off the inter web with free shipping for a reasonable price. I think you would be loosing travel and be counter productive to go to the shorter YJ springs. Plus with centered pin it would not help with clearance issues without moving the front hanger a lot further forward.

Last edited:
What about picking up a set of All-Pro/TG front springs? That would give you a 20in front side. You would probably move the axle forward 2-3 inches over the fj62 springs. Option 2 would be find some OME rear pickup leafs off the inter web with free shipping for a reasonable price. I think you be loosing a travel and be counter productive to go to the shorter YJ springs plus with centered pin it would not help with clearance issues without moving the front hanger a lot further forward.

Ome rears are way too soft for a front end imo. I have them in mine with one over load and they ride nice on small bumps, but are just too soft.

Sky's makes new leafs that will bolt in place of ruf.

Ome rears are way too soft for a front end imo. I have them in mine with one over load and they ride nice on small bumps, but are just too soft.

I forgot about the sky leafs but iirc they are pretty spendy….. I just looked they are $1002. Over a thousand fucking doll hairs for leaf springs . :shaking:

Some factory replacement rears are 250-300ish plus shipping from general spring, SD spring, or ect.

I forgot about the sky leafs but iirc they are pretty spendy….. I just looked they are $1002. Over a thousand fucking doll hairs for leaf springs . :shaking:

Some factory replacement rears are 250-300ish plus shipping from general spring, SD spring, or ect.

That is a lot, I think the allpro rears I ordered years ago were like $600, but shipping was a killer.

The sky's are not just replacements. They're built specifically for crawling and racing. @pitbullraces on sky leafs.

If you want budget, id recommend bds YJ leafs. They have a ton of different lift heights, are not very expensive and lifetime warranty. I bent one backing off an undercut and they sent me a new one. They even covered shipping. The only issue is centered pin.

Last edited:

He should buy my old ome expedition rear springs for $980 and save money over sky. :flipoff2:

so i just remembered i have a set of trail gear 3 or 4 inch flexy front springs. they are just hanging in the shop. used only a a hand full of rides before i linked. i would let them go cheap. but the ride from iowa to NC would be a bitch i bet

1687434855833.png

That is a lot, I think the allpro rears I ordered years ago were like $600, but shipping was a killer.

The sky's are not just replacements. They're built specifically for crawling and racing. @pitbullraces on sky leafs.

If you want budget, id recommend bds YJ leafs. They have a ton of different lift heights, are not very expensive and lifetime warranty. I bent one backing off an undercut and they sent me a new one. They even covered shipping. The only issue is centered pin.
You hit the nail on the head with the yj springs, I am not a fan of paying of $250-$300 a piece for a stock replacement spring like I did with the these fj62 rears. The center pin doesn't bother me since if I did do the spring swap I'm going to have to move the shackle and rear spring hangars anyway. There is only a 3" difference in length between the yj springs and the fj62s I'm running right now which is fine by me. I'm slowly trying to ween myself off Toyota aftermarket parts as the industry keeps consolidating and products and service keep getting more expensive and shittier. I still have to lay under the truck for a while with a tape measure and a spring chart to see what will really work though, I dealt go with some sort of a commonly found jeep spring. I had BDS springs on the YJ I built in college, good spring and I like the military wrap on both ends.
He should buy my old ome expedition rear springs for $980 and save money over sky. :flipoff2:
No:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Good point on Toyota aftermarket :laughing:

I've mostly given up on anything Toyota aftermarket as well, but hadn't actually realized it in the way you worded it.

Good point on Toyota aftermarket :laughing:

I've mostly given up on anything Toyota aftermarket as well, but hadn't actually realized it in the way you worded it.
I know it's happening in the entire offroad industry, but in my 19yrs of building a Toyota, it seems to have especially sucked for us!!

Went wheeling over the weekend. Uneventful and fun trip no issues. I meant to take my thermometer with to get some temp readings off the cooler to compare when I swap in my new one, I already have a tube and fin unit ready to go in. I also picked up a Toyota box that's already tapped for hydro assist for pretty cheap locally. I have also been pricing out parts to link this turd. I did drop the PSI on the air bumps to 50psi from 100psi and it rides better.
IMG_20230714_171807380_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230715_155206587_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230712_205524921.jpg

Top Back Refresh