What's new

2002 TuRD

Tuesday question: the dust shield came loose on my pinion flange, can I unbolt my flange remove it and bolt it back on without having to do any gear setup?

Btw fuck you marlin for putting a press fit dust shield on a pinion flange.

Tuesday question: the dust shield came loose on my pinion flange, can I unbolt my flange remove it and bolt it back on without having to do any gear setup?

Btw fuck you marlin for putting a press fit dust shield on a pinion flange.
IIRC all toyota 3rds are press fit dust shields... why upset at Marlin?

IIRC all toyota 3rds are press fit dust shields... why upset at Marlin?
Because its a marlin flange, and the POS comes un pressed and spins on the pinion making a god awful noise. I have rtv'd it, welded it and now I am going to remove it.

Because its a marlin flange, and the POS comes un pressed and spins on the pinion making a god awful noise. I have rtv'd it, welded it and now I am going to remove it.

you may want to rethink building shit... :flipoff2::flipoff2:

So anyway I assume unbolt the pinion nut and re torque to spec? Anything I need to check?

So anyway I assume unbolt the pinion nut and re torque to spec? Anything I need to check?
You should be able to unbolt the nut without affecting preload as long as you have a solid spacer, if you have a crush sleeve your probably gonna need to check backlash again

You should be able to unbolt the nut without affecting preload as long as you have a solid spacer, if you have a crush sleeve your probably gonna need to check backlash again

Pinion bearing preload. Not Back lash

Mark the nut with a sharpie and count the threads sticking out. Put it back on the same and then give it a touch more just to be on the safe side.

Pinion bearing preload. Not Back lash

Mark the nut with a sharpie and count the threads sticking out. Put it back on the same and then give it a touch more just to be on the safe side.
what he said, haven't had my morning coffee yet

YotaAtieToo carrying this over from my DE ram thread in g4x4 the issue with this junk pile and getting a ram on it is:
1) when I built the truck I marked where the centerline for the front axle was on the fender where it was IFS before cutting it all off. 5months later when I was swapping in the axle, I inadvertantly lined the front axle up with that mark. Which led to
2) this truck is low as fuck and with the axle being so close to the oil pan, I have zero room to fit a ram on top of the axle see below pics. The other issue using a forward swing Ford box, so if I wanted to move the axle forward, I would be redoing basically everything, and I'm lazy and hate fabrication.
3) I narrowed the frame about an inch when I built the new one, which means the springs are closer together. If you remember the above point, I would have to run the ram on the axle. If I run the ram on the axle, even with it half under the drivers or pax leaf spring, it's attached to the tie rod damn near in the middle of it and hanging way the hell below it to clear the leaf and the frame rails on flex.
4) if I moved the tie rod down under the springs, I can gain uptravel, and my thoughts with a DE setup was I can knock out two birds with one stone and just run a typical DE type truss and skid setup. I also don't like having a low slung tie rod because I don't want to bend it wheeling trails this truck shouldn't even be on in the first place like I typically do.

So that's the shit sandwich I created. The nice part is it works great on the trail and it drives awesome on the street, having like 2" of uptravel sucks though. I could raise the height as I'm running some flat leafs, but the stance does come in handy.
IMG_20230611_123204857.jpg

IMG_20180707_134126511.jpg

passenger side frame rail to draglink?

I have to notch that, the driver's side it's the pitman arm and the steering box, straight up is the oil pan.
I get what you're saying.

I'm thinking under the radiator - I believe you have the shorter one installed?

That may be your only option?

EDIT: or maybe pumpkin to tie-rod... but under the tie rod?

Mine's on the axle housing, but I don't have any fancy high-steer stuff. :flipoff2:

I get what you're saying.

I'm thinking under the radiator - I believe you have the shorter one installed?

That may be your only option?

EDIT: or maybe pumpkin to tie-rod... but under the tie rod?

Mine's on the axle housing, but I don't have any fancy high-steer stuff. :flipoff2:
Ok I re read what your saying, your saying ram.on the frame rail to the drag link? And yea I got the shorty radiator installed. Pumpkin to under tie rod is where the good place to land, but is dead center in the middle of the tie rod.

I have laid under the is thing for probably 5hrs cumulatively holding the ram looking for a place to put it, then I start eyeing up the sawzall and go back inside LOL

Last edited:
not to scale, but seems like these should work?

Attachments

• IMG_20230611_123204857.jpg
    IMG_20230611_123204857.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
  • drag link.jpg
    drag link.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
I've wondered about using fror flat arms top and bottom for a double shear set up :laughing:

Although a pair of stock arms on the bottom with a similar setup to artec D60 arms would probably work better.

I don't think he needs to move it...
But... if so... Aqualu FJ40 Passenger Cross-over Steering arm and factory driver's side arm... Mount ram slightly above @ axle centerline...

I've wondered about using fror flat arms top and bottom for a double shear set up :laughing:

Although a pair of stock arms on the bottom with a similar setup to artec D60 arms would probably work better.
That's kind of what I was thinking.

rockota I almost built one of those types of arms when I originally did the SAS and then found a used marlin fj62 histeer kit and ran it instead.

Last edited:
I don't think he needs to move it...
But... if so... Aqualu FJ40 Passenger Cross-over Steering arm and factory driver's side arm... Mount ram slightly above @ axle centerline...

Personally, I don't like the Ram mounted to the draglink.

I also see how he is trying to gain clearance from the oil pan. So may as well go low tiered.

That arm set up would work. I like the idea of double shear with all the force that ram will have.

rockota I almost built one of those types of arms when I originally did the SAS and then found a used marlin fj62 histeer kit and ran it instead.

I really like overkill steering. I've helped buddies with sheared studs and it's the worst. If it were mine, I'd get fror flat arms for the keyway on top, and either stock or Fab off the current arms for the bottom.

Switched from AllPro high steer to low steer on my (never should have sold) 86 xtracab. Aqualu arm is a solid unit.

I did it originally to try an increase steering speed… didn’t work. Oh well.

Attachments

• P8300111.jpeg
    P8300111.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 19
Personally, I don't like the Ram mounted to the draglink.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you at all. I like the added safety of the ram on tie rod

Then again, it’s worked for a number of high end builds… and if all he’s trying to accomplish is reducing load on the steering box, it should work fine. Plus, packaging might be easier.

Top Back Refresh