What's new

2002 TuRD

So is this spindle fucked?
1000001646.jpg

1000001647.jpg

1000001648.jpg

1000001649.jpg

The bearing was CRUNCHY.
It doesn't look the best. May be able to polish it with some Emory cloth or something like that versus having to replace it, but would have to Mike it out when done. Inner looks like it will be ok, that spot on the outer could be worrisome.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bearing surfaces are ok but I'd replace it because of the sealing surface grooves. I replaced mine with Fuji brand from cruiser outfitters. Good quality, probably the same as the front range ones posted.

Just clean it with emery cloth and it should be fine, as long as the bearing isn’t super loose or tight on the surface it will be good. The seal surface like others said well she looks rough pretty deep looking groove.

And for the stretch belt it’s pretty common on ford and Chevy trucks pain in the balls to work with even with the tool, you may want to check what sizing is actually available though. Gm and ford use huge crank pulleys in comparison to a Toyota. It needs to be a really tight fit you have to roll it on and literally stretch the shit out of it to get it on. Hints the name lol

And for the stretch belt it’s pretty common on ford and Chevy trucks pain in the balls to work with even with the tool, you may want to check what sizing is actually available though. Gm and ford use huge crank pulleys in comparison to a Toyota. It needs to be a really tight fit you have to roll it on and literally stretch the shit out of it to get it on. Hints the name lol
Outside of my steering not playing nice with the pulley, that idler pulley is a pain in the balls anyway. I will take wrestling a stretch belt on there over that pulley seizing up every other year:laughing:.ill have to figure out the size and buy a couple and fuck with it.

I would probably just get a TG one as everything I have ever bought from from FROR has been TG tier quality at premium prices:laughing::flipoff2:.

And yea I just checked tg prices and they are more expensive, but everything i have ever bought from FROR has been garbage.:flipoff2:

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the bearing surfaces are ok but I'd replace it because of the sealing surface grooves. I replaced mine with Fuji brand from cruiser outfitters. Good quality, probably the same as the front range ones posted.
Front ranges’ hubs and spindles are in fact Joint Fuji, which is good stuff.

interesting, whatd you buy that you werent happy with?
Firewall plate was a shit show that I ended up not even using, thier brake lines leaked like hell and the taco brake conversion kit is a mess. I know it's kind of little BS, but it's the little BS that makes me not want to spend $$$ with them on more expensive stuff like an entire housing for example.

Always liked this turd. Almost makes me want a Toyota, but I don’t swing that way :flipoff2:

Got out in the garage tonight and messed around with the truck. Spent way too long messing with grinding down knuckle balls to get more steering angle for like zero actual gain. Kind of a waste of time. After that I spent a ton of time cutting old air bump pads off my spring plates. Then I moved the axle back 1" and it looks like it's going to clear the AC idler pulley. Additionally I didn't really like the look of the axle being so far forward, and we all know that's the most important part of this hobby, damn performance!! Uptravel looks to be around 4.25" to the oil pan, which is double what I had before, so score.
1000001670.jpg

After that I mocked up the steering box. Looks like I won't have to hack up the body mounts, awesome, but it hits my radiator DAMNIT
1000001672.jpg

1000001671.jpg

So I need to look online and see what thickness the frame reinforcement plates are, I need 7/8", so if I can get it close with those plates, I'll stack some washers, or even toss some weld washers on there if I'm feeling bougie. This week I hope to knock out the fifth stud mod and knock in my new trunnion bearings and service the wheel bearings. I would have done that tonight, but I bought the wrong bolt size for the "stud" and didn't have the right length laying around the garage.

It's coming together and parts are generally going back on which is good.

What’s with the license plate hanging out in the fender well lol?

Pretty sure frame plates are 1/4 so you’ll still need more to meet that 7/8s I was able to just notch the shroud my box didn’t touch the radiator.

What’s with the license plate hanging out in the fender well lol?

Pretty sure frame plates are 1/4 so you’ll still need more to meet that 7/8s I was able to just notch the shroud my box didn’t touch the radiator.
Half ass heat shield when I had the huge Ford forward swing box on there. It was less than 1" from the exhaust manifold and would get hest soaked bad, like burn your hand on the ps cooler after a day of driving around town bad.

Last edited:
sleeve the frame for each bolt
Yup. Is the steering box like a steering arm where it has to be pressed up against the frame, or can I space it out just using the sleeve? Obviously running hydro assist so it shouldn't be THAT much stress on the box.

I've never seen anyone run into a situation needing to space the box out ~1"... That's odd.

check turning radius... I bet your tire hits the box.

I've never seen anyone run into a situation needing to space the box out ~1"... That's odd.

check turning radius... I bet your tire hits the box.
I sucked the front frame rails in when I built the new front frame. I had to move the alt for example with that forward swing box.

Yup. Is the steering box like a steering arm where it has to be pressed up against the frame, or can I space it out just using the sleeve? Obviously running hydro assist so it shouldn't be THAT much stress on the box.

buy sleeving material, cut to proper lengths to get the steering box properly located. get box tubing, slice up to make a c-channel of sorts so the face matches the offset of the sleeves against the steering box. weld both sides of the sleeves, cut holes in c-channel for sleeves, weld everything to everything, cap the ends of the c-channel, bonus points if you do the ends at a 45.

This is going to be a bit of a long post wall-o-text, but you may laugh so may be a good read for ya, maybe not. TLDR: one full day in the shop has somehow set me back 2 full days on this project, enjoy....

So everyone has that phrase, or that word, that knocks you off you game the second you hear it. For people of my generation (X and early millennial) almost like in the cinematic classic, Happy Gilmore, when the guy shooter paid off would say "jackass" evreytime happy went to hit the ball.
you-suck-jackass.gif

For me it's when my wife asks "how long do you think you will be?" When I go out to the shop. It's the kiss of death for a successful day. So today, going out to the shop, thats exactly what she asked me and I just thought "fuck".

So today's goal was to do the fifth stud mod, rebuild my knuckles and hubs and chain my motor mounts. So kicked off with the fifth stud mod.
1000001668.jpg

So this actually went kind of smoothly INITIALLY, this will come back to haunt me later... but overall messing around in Toyota knuckles sucks ass.

So I got to drilling and welding

1000001697.jpg

1000001699.jpg

I had some shock tabs that were going to work with some minor trimming
1000001700.jpg

1000001701.jpg

So hell yea done, after struggling with bearing races, but still in good spirits and moving the project forward. So I looked at the spindle that I asked about it but earlier and its pretty sketch, so I decided that I'm just going to order a new one since I don't trailer and I don't need that to come back to haunt me on a trip. So I packed some bearings and moved to the other side.

Other side was fighting me HARD. So I was pounding on the steering arm FOREVER to get it off. In the process I bent two of the holes where the studs attach, so that had to be addressed. Pic omitted, ask to see if if you see me.on the trail and make fun of me in the moment.
So two of my knuckle studs are bent, I don't know if they were bent from wheeling or frome beating the ever holy hell out of the knuckle, so that kind of stalled out that part of the project, I'll order up.some new ones and swap them in for piece of mind Still in decent spirits. So I decided I'm done with these damn knuckles and here is a good spot of work on something else. Look at the motor mount, I'll chain that mofo.

So I found some chain and started welding. Well in all.my infinite wisdom,.I'm pretty sure I melted the motor mounts fawk!!!!!!!

1000001702.jpg

So at this point I decided I'm going to mess with the pax side shock mount. That was uneventful but I was looking at the 5th stud bracket I built about 5hrs earlier and looked at my brake bracket.. no..... no..... holy shit I don't think it's going to fit in there now. I test fit it and confirmed. So I start cutting the 5th stud bracket apart. I am warning you I was rage grinding at this point and I will fix this later......

1000001703.jpg

So I need to fix that...

So damage bill after today, I don't know, I'm going to get drunk on martinis and order parts, but I have at least a day ahead of me redoing that 5th stud bracket and changing out the motor mount.

Thanks for reading, that felt good to type that out....

Man, glad I’m not the only one who has days of being a tard. :flipoff2::laughing:

Some day you should just build your own motor mounts. Factory mounts suck.
It usually seems to be when I dedicate a full day to working on the truck, usually a shit show. Flip side is 3hrs after work and I get a ton done LOL

The factory mounts have actually worked out nicely for me and taken some abuse, I was just sick of the tcase smacking the floor in double low.

It usually seems to be when I dedicate a full day to working on the truck, usually a shit show. Flip side is 3hrs after work and I get a ton done LOL

The factory mounts have actually worked out nicely for me and taken some abuse, I was just sick of the tcase smacking the floor in double low.
Stinks about a day twiddling your own thumbs/moving backwards a bit.

Maybe you should write a note telling her not to say that dreaded phrase :lmao:

Top Back Refresh