What's new

Your shiddy weldz...

This can not be stated enough going from a old hood to a new one is like going from a tube tv to 4k.
My hood has to be 20+ years old. I bought it with my Hobart that I got in high school. :laughing:

Yeah, but how much have you welded in that time. :flipoff2:
quite a bit, actually. The Jeep, the truck, the samurai, the tractor now. Once every couple to few weeks it gets fired up. use it enough to use larger tanks and the giant wire roll. I want to say its a 30lb spool?

Replace your clear lenses.... not just wipe them off on your dirty sweatshirt.
20220427_130339.jpg

My brother :homer:

On a nearly new dozer...

Attachments

• 20220309_062009.jpg
    20220309_062009.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
Worked with a guy that was complaining he couldn't see shit through the hood... and he'd been using it like that for the better part of a year.

I ask what shade setting it's on. "Do what?, what are you even talking about?"

I
I have an old 70s Case 580B that fulfills the job so it is kept around. The amount of questionable factory welding all over the thing reminds me how expectations of quality have changed over the last 50 years.
True. My brother sandblasted an Early Bronco frame some years ago. Several of the welds were beyond horrible. Like the paint and undercoating was holding parts better than the welding.

Worked with a guy that was complaining he couldn't see shit through the hood... and he'd been using it like that for the better part of a year.

I ask what shade setting it's on. "Do what?, what are you even talking about?
Similar, except when I looked through the hood, he had neglected to remove the protective plastic film from the lens, on both sides of the inner and outer. Couldn't see shit through that thing.

I have a Jackson from the 90's
still works
......and I do it every day for a living

it isn't the hood, it is the operator :beer:
welding hoods are hard to get right.

when you dont know what you need you should buy a nice one.

by the time you know what i needed, i get some cheap small window one .(or at least a cheaper one) but thats not the one to start with.

i keep two 3m hoods a 9100 and their cheap entry auto dark hood for new guys. all i have used in the last couple years are $60 pipeliners. i do have a jackson i should use but just dont. last timeit was used was for a solar eclipse.

i dont need the big viewing area i used to, and i want the lightest hood i can get since i'm mostly doing fit and fab. ocassionally when i'm staring at the bright light for hours on end i'll grab the 9100, mostly because it covers better and has the fabric cover that helps not get flash burn when your burning 30lbs of wire a day with 3 other guys in the same general area. i put in 13hrs on friday, about 40lbs of wire and wish i had used the 9100, was using a cut down pipeliner and not thinking... forgot to sunscreen and although i didn't burn to bad my throat and sides of my neck were real red. doh:homer: oh well between thursday and fri i earned the months budget. so i didn't let the a little red neck ruin a wknd.

Prep is everything. Still love my fluxcore!
These 3” wheels kick ass for scale removal and not eating material

Attachments

• B21433CF-BE80-4FDE-8FFE-0E35D1E86ED7.jpeg
    B21433CF-BE80-4FDE-8FFE-0E35D1E86ED7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • B19C07CE-1BCF-4E7C-A4D4-88C5BCF0763D.jpeg
    B19C07CE-1BCF-4E7C-A4D4-88C5BCF0763D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • 94EA0C54-F1AE-4FE5-A11B-222D1F533EC4.jpeg
    94EA0C54-F1AE-4FE5-A11B-222D1F533EC4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
No secret, welding overhead is the same as welding flat. Same setting (maybe a touch more wire speed) and motion.

It's kind of a mind fuck but don't think about it being overhead, Imagine you're laying a flat bead. Helped a few welders by just telling them this. Good luck
Rarh:flipoff2::laughing:

Man, I bought an Aluminum Spoolrunner gun for my Ironman 230 and I fuckin suck with it haha. Definitely a hit to my welding ego :lmao:
Would either spatter around or burn through. Could not seem to figure it out. Polarity was correct....

Man, I bought an Aluminum Spoolrunner gun for my Ironman 230 and I fuckin suck with it haha. Definitely a hit to my welding ego :lmao:
Would either spatter around or burn through. Could not seem to figure it out. Polarity was correct....
I was just talking to a buddy about spool guns and he said under 0.25 aluminum stock it’s not great. Burn through, splatter etc

I was just talking to a buddy about spool guns and he said under 0.25 aluminum stock it’s not great. Burn through, splatter etc
Yup... I was trying to re-weld my wife's horse trailer dividers to the thin wall. I had to Tack, wait, tack, wait, tack, wait. Otherwise it would blow through haha. Not sure it will hold either, but it is just a hinge and it is supported on the other side, so.... it has a chance LOL.

But still... the grinder came out :homer::lmao:

Top Back Refresh