What's new

Your shiddy weldz...

Had a customer bring back a plow truck (Chevy) that I rebuilt the front diff. Customer states ever since ya rebuilt the diff it's making a bad noise.

I bring the truck in and found all the mounts broken and ripped out of the frame, because they were using it like a dozer instead of a pickup. After repairing all that, I left them a tip...

IMG_20200320_080328911.jpg

Tigging some aluminum for a filler piece at work. This is probably the nicest I've ever managed so far, but then again brand new clean aluminum was waaaaaaay easier the old dirty shit I've been messing with

For what this piece is for welding the entire edge was unnecessary but practice is practice.

20220124_170052-L.jpg

Intake manifold for my International that was a huge pain in the ass, mostly when trying to get in between the stupid runners

20211113_170202-L.jpg
This shit definitely looks shitty. Does TiG aluminum just melt more so the puddle is super runny? I’ve never handled TiG welding. Wish I could take time to learn actually.

Flux core on some thin scrap metal. This was after a few attempts to figure out the heat and speed. Not sure what the point of a flux core welder is to this day.

Attachments

• 9A5244EB-636D-4154-824B-BA6FFBF36C43.jpeg
    9A5244EB-636D-4154-824B-BA6FFBF36C43.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
These are the worst ones I could find in my garage from when i bought my MIG welder. Machine had some issues at the time but mostly just my lack of talent.

I've done a fuckton of pretty questionable exhaust stuff but I don't have pics. The cases where buddy buys the wrong size mufflers then says "can you make it work" are pretty bad, I'm pretty good at bridging gaps with coat hanger wire.

PXL_20220126_043147105.jpg

First ever weld 25 years or more ago. Stick welding with the hf 100 dollar buzz box before hf was hf, on a snowblower that has had the shit beat out if it for the last 25 years
20220126_014935.jpg

Shitty tig welds for a bracket I did recently.
20220126_015012.jpg

Last edited:
No secret, welding overhead is the same as welding flat. Same setting (maybe a touch more wire speed) and motion.
Getting your arc exactly where it needs to be is way more important with vertical and overhead. It's much easier to run a perfect bead and have it not tie into everything it needs to.
Nah, i just pass over till it blends in.
And that's how you wind up with a bunch of porosity and trash in the root of your weld.

You can get away with it in some applications.

7514ECDD-C687-4F87-A34F-E66BE0803CA1-3566-000003C7B7360846.jpg
0711122058.jpg

I had to reach wayy back to find some of my original welds. I built this DeathTrap back in 2011 or so. This was the engine mounting plate. Saw the gokart a year or so ago and it was still in one piece, though clapped out. The roll cage was still solid too and those welds were ground down for aesthetic purposes :lmao:

I have a feeling some of you are posting your good welds saying they are bad trying to pull some shady bragging bullshit. You know who you are...
That’s what I was thinking. My good welds are probably not as good as some of the welds on here. My bad welds are worse than all this shit. One of the things I’ve noticed is even when I lay down a bad looking weld, that sob is a pita to cut off.

After about 8-10 hours of practicing and watching YouTube for TIG

20210716_132538_copy_2951x1412.jpg

20220119_164854_copy_3000x2250.jpg

And hardly any time on steel...

20220119_184132_copy_2184x1266.jpg
Looks good. When tig welding aluminum think big and feed that guy alot of heat and filler. Big dabs and if your using a foot pedal roll into it a touch as the filler will cool down the puddle slightly when added

I have welded down the side of beer cans, just fucking around. It is hard to do even on a good machine. the first pic is a 8.8;explorer axle that a buddy narrowed to put in a s10. Used his Miller dynasty on that one, nice machine.
And to make you feel better I got lasik a year or so ago, fucked up my up close vision. I have not found a set up I like yet for welding. I joined the navy at 17 years old and had some pretty good guys teaching me over the years. Only went back to welding when hard times hit. Haven’t welded as a job in over 25 years.

Hey, most of the welds look pretty good here. I don't take pics of any of my welds really but a few months back I had to ghetto a rear shock x-member together on a work truck that blew theirs up somehow. This is just me burning it in and going for speed. Pics were taken for the fleet manager. Who was questioning what I was doing. 20210812_105826.jpg 20210811_153109.jpg 20210811_162437.jpg

Add more heat than if you were welding flat. Movements are the same, it’s still a flat bead it’s just upside down. And leathers, definitely wear leathers, ear plugs, and a cap.
Quoted for truth. Ive done a decent amount of overhead stick at work fixing water leaks, and getting hot slag in your ear sucks! I usually grab a nomex hood if im going to be doing more than a tack weld just cuz of how much that sucks.

Ive done a decent amount of overhead stick at work fixing water leaks, and getting hot slag in your ear sucks!
Dude. Earplugs. I had some mig spatter roll down my ear canal welding overhead on a hot ass day and my sweat cooled it off thankfully with lots of sizzles and pops. Never wanted to experience that again.

Top Back Refresh