What's new

What did you do for your ford today?

Got the stereo installed with back up camera. Figured out how to build doetsch connectors as well to hook up all the wiring. Got two layers of sound deading mat down as well. Next up finish the drivers seat. Just found out the new carpet will be here wednesday. But I still have to run the wiring for the seat heaters.
Nice, I keep thinking about that style vs the Double Din conversions.

Is that android capable? Are you gonna try the tire pressure monitors?

Amazing what can be done with a smart head unit now.

Got this bumber iron on to its place.

65555DF0-334C-4D2B-82FE-CBB1F8BCE9EE.jpeg

Nice, I keep thinking about that style vs the Double Din conversions.

Is that android capable? Are you gonna try the tire pressure monitors?

Amazing what can be done with a smart head unit now.
It is android auto capable. But you have to hook your phone to a cable in the back. I didn't want to do that.

Nope not doing TPMS

Got the stereo installed with back up camera. Figured out how to build doetsch connectors as well to hook up all the wiring. Got two layers of sound deading mat down as well. Next up finish the drivers seat. Just found out the new carpet will be here wednesday. But I still have to run the wiring for the seat heaters.
20230401_150123.jpg
20230401_150130.jpg

Were you an AO in the Corps?

Awesome! Saw your patches.:beer:

I wanted to be an AO for F-14s back in '83; found out you had to have pilot eyesight in order to be a red shirt.
Then found out my hearing loss made me a Navy-reject.
Well that sucks, only requirement I knew was you couldn't be color blind and had to score a 110 on the old asvab. I loved doing that job. Nothing like being in a combat zone and see the birds come back empty. You knew some people did not exist anymore.

Holley Retrobrights.. huge improvement over old school bulbs. Better vision than my 2012 Lexus. Went from just lighting up the lane in front of me and maybe a 1/4 over each side to practically a 180 degree illumination in front. Most I’ve driven it since the Saginaw pump upgrade which is also still making me super happy. Crazy how much more pleasant it is to drive. Gotta finish up the AC so I can have my heat back the. I’ll be real happy.

I know the pictures don’t really show much, but who doesn’t like pictures?

490425E8-8C11-4C29-8367-149A6AA2E644.jpeg

4F109249-3455-45C3-A111-07F5206C8DC5.jpeg

D8B922B6-3C71-4356-BF66-8457269EA004.jpeg

CB137927-4DED-49DB-9906-2ECF3A002945.jpeg

Forgot I still had to do valve cover gaskets, so doing that now.

Also, trying to get good audio out of the st.... Currently putting my old Rockford 400.4 in it cuz it seems like these new head units just don't have any power.

Attachments

• IMG20230408215152.jpg
    IMG20230408215152.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG20230408171640.jpg
    IMG20230408171640.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG20230408222205.jpg
    IMG20230408222205.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
I bought a Pacbrake and a remote oil filter mount for my Fummins. Working on getting them installed. It also had a very small exhaust leak at the manifold, so pulled turbo and manifold off while I was close.
I have been driving it 3 years, may as well finish it.

Got the new carpet installed, back seat installed, new sub installed under the back seat and the center console and passenger seat in. Have to drop in the drivers seat and seat belts back in and then done.

I will get some pics tonite.

Did you do anything to lower the new seats or are they still fairly high?
No, they sit a little on the high side. Its ok on the passenger side since my wife is short. The real question will be when I put the drivers seat in. I'm 6'3". I may have to lay the seat way back and ride gangster. LOL

No, they sit a little on the high side. Its ok on the passenger side since my wife is short. The real question will be when I put the drivers seat in. I'm 6'3". I may have to lay the seat way back and ride gangster. LOL
My buddy put newer superduty seats in his OBS and they sit high. If feels unnatural. They are comfortable, but I'd have to find a way to lower them.

SERIOUS nOOB QUESTION:
Is it a poor idea to use jam nuts on leaf spring U-bolts and wheel lugs?

The thought came to me when I was adding leaves to leaf spring packs.
I bought a set of fresh longer U-bolts/nuts of same size and thread.
After installing new U-bolts/nuts and rechecking nut tightness after a drive; I added the used nuts as jam nuts on the driver side for the halibut.

Any reason to NOT do the same on wheel lugs?🤷‍♂️
Grant it; my rear axle is a dually, hence, real long lug studs.

I guess you could, but why would you want to?? On the U-bolts I guess I could see the argument that you didn't want them to come loose so sure if you want to, but it's not necessary.

On the wheel, it just makes it harder to change a tire. How often do you see lug nuts come loose? I just don't see the point.

This past weekend I drove the 67 Bronco for the first time (if the story is true, it's the first time this thing has moved under it's own power in at least 15 years). Working out some general kinks and will be moving onto installing the 2.5" lift (new springs, shocks, bushings, etc). After that, will take it for a real test drive, button up any remaining issues and drive it from San Diego to Orange County (about 75 miles) back to my house where I'll finish things up.

On my 78 F150:

- after installing the Holley Retrobrights I went to install LEDs in my gauge cluster and the plastic housing started to crumble to bits.. now I have no lights in my gauge cluster. I just finished some freelance work so that money goes toward a Dakota Digital RTX Gauge cluster (gets here in June). Wasn't planning on buying that until the modern drivetrain swap (not for a few years likely).

- a few weeks ago i finished the saginaw conversion which meant all new pulleys to accomodate the vintage air setup that I still need to wire/charge. This made my 3g alternator squeal at start-up which is annoying. Bought a "soft start regulator" for $12 which I'll probably get to installing this weekend.

In general:

Borrowed a JD2 Model 3 bender from a friend of a friend in So Cal Broncos. Going to build some Bronco cages, a cage for the SAS Explorer, and my truck eventually (although I'll probably buy a RogueFab bender since I need a 2" die for my truck and like to own my own tools). Used the homemade bumpers that the Bronco came with as a column for the bender stand I made yesterday (I left the bumper mounting tabs on for now):

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

After putting it together I realized I welded the top plate on upside down (the holes are offset).. so now I have to drill new ones by hand which sucks. Two 3/4" holes in 1/2" plate should be fun/scary with the Milwaukee Magnum drill/AKA wrist-buster.

Top Back Refresh