What's new

Useless things about your day!

Theres a farm/estate auction for the past few years I use to frequent, the past 9 months or so it went full retard with prices and I quit going. I mean I could've bought new and had it shipped to my house for less. They went to proxibid cuz covid, and online jackers were fucking it all up.

Apparently the bottom fell out. I checked a few things I bookmarked and they went for way less, like half of what I wouldve paid, and I a jew. Fuck me for staying home today and working on junk.

while changing that retarded water pump i noticed the u bolts on the driver side front axle were loose, then noticed on the passenger side one u bolt was broken with a missing nut/washer. big gay lifted (8" or so)excursion with 10 pack leafs so i had to order extra long u bolts and had them shipped next day air as its their daily driver, go to put the new u bolts on and notice the center pin was broke, so naturally both center pins were broken :homer: didnt finish until 10pm last night

20210604_220850.jpg
20210604_181838.jpg

a few months ago that same excursion kept breaking a rear leaf spring bolt because the mount was wallowed out, the 6" craptastic procomp lift springs had blown out bushings everywhere. so instead of trying to find new crappy bushings and a replacement spring hanger the neighbor went with my idea of building some drop(5" drop) spring brackets and a shackle flip so he could run some factory f350 leafs that have good bushings and get rid of the 5" lift blocks. they tell me it rides way better now

Resized_20210323_145835.jpeg
Resized_20210304_163645.jpeg
Resized_20210324_132254.jpeg

Holy fuck that center bolt is beat to shit! any guesses on how many tenthousands of miles it was like that?

the neighbor says the previous owner had the lift installed since the excursion was almost new, he bought it with iirc around 140k and it now has about 175k on it. living down a rough dirt road the past 35k miles has revealed all the issues :laughing: im betting its been that way for at least 30k miles, he said its made a clunking noise in the front since he bought it so it very well could have been like that for even longer

wow I've never seen them crack, only tear through the rust holes
the neighbor says the previous owner had the lift installed since the excursion was almost new, he bought it with iirc around 140k and it now has about 175k on it. living down a rough dirt road the past 35k miles has revealed all the issues :laughing: im betting its been that way for at least 30k miles, he said its made a clunking noise in the front since he bought it so it very well could have been like that for even longer
That’s for sure, my electric fan zip tied to the radiator was fine for over a year, 50 miles of driving like an asshat on a dirt road and I had rub holes in the rad tubes.

Finished patching up crash damage on the white Legacy. Took a trip around the block on my way to parking it out front. Nearly got rear ended making the turn onto my street.

I think that operating a shovel and a pickaxe every day for 2 weeks was too much
Got to it today and everything was just taking way more effort than it should have, hell even the shovel was way heavy.

so I went outside into the 90 degrees (which is deadly hot up here, mind you) and torched the hitch plate off the f350
it was the style that welds flat across the rear of the frame rails and hangs down about a foot, all just broke 1/4" plate
long ago the hitch had rusted in the receiver, broken off and had another hitch butt welded onto that garbage, it cracked the plate out, so they added some bracing and booger welded it all over

finally got around to torching the whole fucking mess off of there, only owned the truck since '12
planning on a dovetail for the flatbed, I'll stick a pintle hitch at the end of that mess when I cobble it together

Just went for a test drive in the 90 Camry shitbox I was given after I put a new alternator in. That is after I pried the door out enough to unlock the doors with a radio antenna from the garage hitting the door unlock button since they only gave me 1 key and I assumed it opened the doors. Nope, ignition only. Then I went for a quick drive with headlights but no dash lights. Taillights and brakelights and signals worked so what the hey. On the way back I realized I had left a tool tray on the trunk lid so I looked out for it but it had stayed in place on the nice flat trunk lid covered with black gunk from tree droppings. Thank you 6 lb 3 oz baby jesus. :laughing: I have to say I am not impressed with this Toyotas electrics for only 247000 miles. Wheres that famed yota reliability?:flipoff2:

Just went for a test drive in the 90 Camry shitbox I was given after I put a new alternator in. That is after I pried the door out enough to unlock the doors with a radio antenna from the garage hitting the door unlock button since they only gave me 1 key and I assumed it opened the doors. Nope, ignition only. Then I went for a quick drive with headlights but no dash lights. Taillights and brakelights and signals worked so what the hey. On the way back I realized I had left a tool tray on the trunk lid so I looked out for it but it had stayed in place on the nice flat trunk lid covered with black gunk from tree droppings. Thank you 6 lb 3 oz baby jesus. :laughing: I have to say I am not impressed with this Toyotas electrics for only 247000 miles. Wheres that famed yota reliability?:flipoff2:
My ex had a 91 MR2 from maybe 1998-2005 or so. Plagued with electrical demons. I refused to work on it beyond checking fuses, so twice a year it was in the shop. Turn signal makes the headlights flicker... have to bang on driver door to get passenger window to work... dome light won't shut off... etc etc.

I'm not a Toyota hater but I'm pretty sure that entire car had been rewired by the time she got rid of it.

My ex had a 91 MR2 from maybe 1998-2005 or so. Plagued with electrical demons. I refused to work on it beyond checking fuses, so twice a year it was in the shop. Turn signal makes the headlights flicker... have to bang on driver door to get passenger window to work... dome light won't shut off... etc etc.

I'm not a Toyota hater but I'm pretty sure that entire car had been rewired by the time she got rid of it.
I already figured out that unbolting the drivers door switch and leaving it loose and ungrounded solved the door open and ignition ring light staying on problem. I did JB weld it back on so its not loose though. Since I had to mix uo some JBWeld quikdry to glue the Driver side mirror glass back on.:laughing:
Forgot how annoying those stupid automagic shoulder belts are.

just passed a 30yd dumpster full of used 24" double wall culvert, long (15-20') pieces, too
I need to grab a fuckton of it simply because its there, but its on a freeway construction site so if the cops decided I was a thief rather than the garbage man it'd probably be overblown charges

ugh it's sunday so...

just passed a 30yd dumpster full of used 24" double wall culvert, long (15-20') pieces, too
I need to grab a fuckton of it simply because its there, but its on a freeway construction site so if the cops decided I was a thief rather than the garbage man it'd probably be overblown charges

ugh it's sunday so...
So you need a vacation or should we start a GoFundMe for bail money?

ugh it's sunday so...
Park your truck beside the dumpster and make the tubes go straight from dumpster to truck with no intermediate pile on the ground. If/when the cops show up do your best to look super exited about finding such a good score.

Park your truck beside the dumpster and make the tubes go straight from dumpster to truck with no intermediate pile on the ground. If/when the cops show up do your best to look super exited about finding such a good score.
there's a huge pile next to the dumpster too

they'll all prolly just languish in a landfill, just like fuckloads of foamboard from flat-roof jobs

I had a friend that had a second gen. I called it the Mr. Deuce!
It was kinda fun to zip around in, but from a practical standpoint the awesome fuel mileage and cheap insurance were canceled out by chronic visits to the shop. I was a dick back then- I'd do maintenance like fluid changes, brakes, etc but I refused to actually work on it because I didn't like it. :laughing:

Engine seized, I put it on ebay no reserve and put in the description "if $1 gets it, it's yours". Value at that time was $600-800... I got $2400 for it.

ugh it's sunday so...
Put medown for 4 or 6. Text me where to show up with cash for bond and impound....

ugh it's sunday so...
you just need a hard hart and bright reflective vest :laughing:

you just need a hard hart and bright reflective vest :laughing:

That's how I got a pay phone kiosk for my buddy's bar. It was outside of a deli; I just rolled up in the middle of the day in a plain white Dodge Ram, put on a hi-vis vest, unbolted it from the ground and threw it in the back. I had 3 people ask me if they could have it while I was in the process of taking it :laughing:

PSA for those who like fucking around with 40 year old equipment. No one ever changes the screen. All the filters looked recently replaced....

imagejpeg_0(4).jpg

PSA for those who like fucking around with 40 year old equipment. No one ever changes the screen. All the filters looked recently replaced....

imagejpeg_0(4).jpg
but you can damn well bet they gobbed on a layer of flaky peeling paint

It’s Monday and I’m at work again.:homer:

Flying ants and ant ants everywhere, and I have poison ivy on my knee from fucking around in the woods on the tractor.

drill holes in the bottom of the old struts and drain the oil out

now you got da hydroz, brah
great fun at every stoplight
And when you eventually replace them cut the chrome rod out and throw it in the stock pile. That shit is great for handles, steps, tie down rails and all sorts of shit where you don't want it to rust but also can't expect paint to stay for very long.

Opened up the body door on a drill rig this morning and got this nice surprise.......

20210607_074856.jpg

I'm a mechanic not an exterminator. Nope, not happening.

Reactions: Dan
Top Back Refresh