What's new

Unimog 404.111 build

Of a stock Unimog 404, yes. This one is probably less since you lose some with propane. These engines are 7:1 compression where propane likes to be at 10:1.

They are like a tractor, all gearing

Will it go 65 mph?

You're semi reading my mind :flipoff2:

Problem with turbos is that not many have done them b/c they only have a 4 main bearings. Many 404 builders or collectors think it's a time bomb, being new to the Mog all I can do is go by what most are saying. I did find a kit somebody is selling tho :stirthepot:

If I put this crate motor in, it would be over winter. Until then I'm on the hunt for a M130 engine from a 68-71 Mercedes 280S. A unicorn lol. It is also an inline 6 thats comparable in size and shape to the M180 and can be mounted in a 404 fairly easily. That engine, with its dual carbs and high compression would hike the horsepower from 82HP to 180HP. That .. is also really pushing it for the rest of the drivetrain.

So I got time ... and options for now.
Did you see the M130 engine with transmission currently on eBay? https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-M130-W108-W111-W113-motor-and-transmission/284087267350
If a M129 engine would work (the M130 was a refined M129 from what I read, same external size), this one might work: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/241967640853215/

Aaron Z

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 12.33.05 PM.png

Did you see the M130 engine with transmission currently on eBay? https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-M130-W108-W111-W113-motor-and-transmission/284087267350
If a M129 engine would work (the M130 was a refined M129 from what I read, same external size), this one might work: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/241967640853215/

Aaron Z

For a little more than that and 130 you can buy a whole car, it would have all of the other stuff with it.

i’ve never seen anyone use the M129, not saying it can’t be done. I know the M180’s oil pan can be used on the M130 with minimal mods. You have to keep a oil pan from a 404 because it connects to the bell housing for more rigidity.

I think Austin needs that. :grinpimp:

I've never looked, but it doesn't seem like rocket surgery to make one or have one made. Betcha someone's got an aftermarket one available. If not there is probably a market for someone to make them.

Small production opportunity for biggaydan or arsebackwards...

I haven't seen the website angelfire since high school over half my lifetime ago. :lmao:

It’s been a while since I posted about this, I’ve been really busy with the site. Today however, a whopping 140HP power-plant arrived :smokin:

Out with the old.... out with the new-old.... in with the ... whatever....

Click image for larger version Name:	6E78DE8F-A791-4AF5-984F-A7388B944572.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	599.4 KB ID:	371428

This motor is from a 60s Mercedes coupe and aside from the flywheel and oil pan is a drop in replacement. 60 more HP than stock and has a 9:1 (vs 7:1) compression head my propane setup will be happier with.

All good info. I wasn't planning on making the tanks that easy to take out. I thought they could just fill them from their location? Isn't that how they do those big under-mounted RV ones?

When I worked at an RV campground we would fill them on the vehicle and the pump just had a ticker like a regular gas pump. But when I used to drive a forklift it was much faster and easier to just swap a tank hanging off the back of the machine. We had gas delivery so the guy would show up once a week and trade tanks with us like they do for BBQ's. I think it would be a good idea to make tanks easily swappable to make it easier for you to find fuel while out and about, that way any station could fill you either way they prefer.

The only thing you want if you go with the propane forklift type tanks is an adapter to go to a "regular propane tank fill port" as they take a different type of port to fill and most places that can fill tanks won't be able to fill them.

Aaron Z

So which
It’s been a while since I posted about this, I’ve been really busy with the site. Today however, a whopping 140HP power-plant arrived :smokin:

Out with the old.... out with the new-old.... in with the ... whatever....

Click image for larger version Name:	6E78DE8F-A791-4AF5-984F-A7388B944572.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	599.4 KB ID:	371428

This motor is from a 60s Mercedes coupe and aside from the flywheel and oil pan is a drop in replacement. 60 more HP than stock and has a 9:1 (vs 7:1) compression head my propane setup will be happier with.
so which engine is this? looks like an m130?

Well it's finally cool enough to head back out to the shop in the evenings so I cleaned up the shop and got the mog sitting as low as I can on jack-stands to easily work on it.

IMG_2444.JPG

It's had an electrical draw since I got it and 80% of the original wiring is semi in there, semi cut off, or had a fuse pulled ... so I'm just yanking it all. Aside from Starter, ignition, and lights I have no need for the rest of it. Redoing that little bit with new wire will be easy and surely take care of the drain. I'm also going to convert it to 12v in the process so I'm pull the starter this evening and taking it to be rebuilt as a 12v.

I've never looked, but it doesn't seem like rocket surgery to make one or have one made. Betcha someone's got an aftermarket one available. If not there is probably a market for someone to make them.

Small production opportunity for biggaydan or arsebackwards...
No, fuck gears. :flipoff2:

How about an update, Homie Slice? :flipoff2:
One is long overdue. Too much has been running through my head so it's been mostly sitting.

I have all the wiring out and a Painless kit sitting here to go in ... now I'm debating running 100% on a SwitchPro setup. They can literally do everything I need for this.

I got the M130 stripped and waiting for the machine shop to call and let me know when to bring it. I waited to long to get in line as they have hundreds of racers getting their winter work done. I had a really good talk with the guy at the speed shop about it, fell pretty comfortable with the plan. Provided the block and heads and all that checkout ok, we'll be raising that compression for the propane and their sister shop will be building a turbo for it .... should be mid Feb ...

So I've been sitting and staring at it while tinkering with small stuff .... and the more I look at it ... the more I want to really fix it up .. not just a beat up trail rig. So I've been looking hard for a project 404 I could get with a nice cab so that I can join the two. 4 doors = more whores .... or my family ... whoever is on that trip :laughing: So the plan is to continue stripping it down and rebuild it mo better. I've talked to RadialDynamics and they'll be helping me with front and rear hydro steer as well.

I did get suuupppper lucky in my parts hunt this month ...

That's with the addition of the unobtanium crawler box that bolts on the side of the transmission.
I think Austin needs that. :grinpimp:
Done :flipoff2:

Some idiot up in the NY area owned a legendary 404, the couple that built it 20 something yrs ago wheeled the country and it was in a lot of off-road mags.
View attachment d4cd5226-aeb9-4d8c-a298-dc2638c27c6d-jpeg.2725907.webp

It's seen better days. The moron that owned, from what I gather, never titled it after multiple police warnings and when his wife or GF (both?) had him evicted the state hauled it off the property to a junkyard. The moron goes to social media crying that it was unfair while telling everybody where is was. It was there for all of 1.5 days and it looked like this:
264708689_277279531118008_2399967033041723413_n.jpg

It HAD the best of the best 404 parts on it. As I was combing over the most recent pics I noticed a shifter that I would have thought would have been one of the first things gone. I made a post here asking if anybody was in the area of this thing that could swing by and take a look.

Will12785 was able to swing by and take a look. After getting them to hoist the thing up he confirmed that the shifter was for a crawler box. :smokin: He quickly got to work pulling it and when he went to checkout they rang it as an Oil Pan. :lmao: Will12785 maaay of helped guide that decision ... :laughing:
Oil Pans are $50 /https://data.irate4x4.com/assets/smilies/grinpimp.gif

Deal of the year.

Anybody that got anything off that rig got a steal because they obviously had no idea the cost of those parts. Anyway .... He gave it a nice bath in the parts washer, slapped on the shipping label I sent him and ...... Christmas came early today:
IMG_3993.JPG

Will12785 I can't thank you enough man, hell of a hook up :smokin:

Christmas came early today:
Well, fuck.

Sorry, I can't help but be jealous. Good for you though, that's pretty awesome!:beer:
Sure sucks that the rig got parted out though. Torched steering column.

I don't understand how anyone who was taking the axles would miss the crawl box. Makes no sense.

Now time for you to add some tech to your tech site. Could you start by posting a pic of it in the "other" position. Looking at that pic it seems like the top and bottom gears slide on the shiny shaft, moved by that shift fork in the grooves.

I'm having a hard time picturing how it works from that pic.

Top Back Refresh