What's new

Unimog 404.111 build

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
I’ve always wanted a Unimog and was looking for something a little more unique than my JK to have wrapped to help advertise the site. Found this guy just outside Vegas and it was just what I was looking for. Major shout out to Pyleit for going and checking it out before I bought it and to Lil,yota and racergirl for hauling it 1,600mi to my place.

I thought I was buying 1968 Unimog 404.114 which is by far the most common 404 model. After getting the title in hand the vin starts with 404111 which means it’s a 404.111. Checked the frame and it sure is a 404.111. Biggest difference between the two is that the 404.111 has a wheelbase (105”) about a foot shorter than the regular 404s. They only made about 1,200 of these between ’55-’56 …. This was #63 off the line in ’55. :smokin:

Anyway … immediate plans all center around getting it back to being road worthy for KoH 2021.
  • It has an oil drip; I believe it’s from the valve cover gasket
  • There seems to be some fuel around the carb tray after it runs for a bit. Carb may need to be rebuilt.
  • Change all the fluids
  • Peel the rest of the Bud wrap, put on a irate4x4.com wrap
  • Rebuild or replace shocks
  • New rims and tires
  • Loose the fan and clutch, already has a electric fan on it
  • Propane conversion
  • I need to get a coat of paint on a lot of the metal.
  • Dash needs a lot of work, several gauges don’t to work, several broken switches and the ones that are there don’t seem waterproof
  • All the lighting needs looked at
  • Oh, and the stripper pole could use a polishing

After Koh Plans ….
  • New cage
  • winches
  • Move the rear seats forward, cut in footwells.
  • Replace hydro assist with full hydro
  • Much longer term … more HP and rear steer
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_9962.jpg Views:	0 Size:	478.9 KB ID:	198529

Previous owner bought these Michelin 395/85R20 XZL on aluminum Hutchison bead-locks to put on it. It took 4 guys to get each one out of the truck. They look cool on Mogs but are stupid heavy, I can't picture a 404 portal lasting long wheeling with these.
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_9968.jpg Views:	0 Size:	454.2 KB ID:	198530

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_9989.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.9 KB ID:	198531

Plenty of room under here for some foot wells for the rear seats ...
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_9988.jpg Views:	0 Size:	325.3 KB ID:	198532

You can see the small gas tank between the frame behind the upper spring mount. The keg above it is the backup tank. If there is gonna be a keg on board it better be beer .....
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_9987.jpg Views:	0 Size:	343.6 KB ID:	198533

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_9996.jpg Views:	231 Size:	408.2 KB ID:	198545
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_9994.jpg Views:	231 Size:	407.2 KB ID:	198546

Needs a little power washing ... :homer:
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_9996.jpg Views:	231 Size:	408.2 KB ID:	198545

Last edited:
The whole roll cage is welded onto square tube similar to these pics. I'd like a new cage to the frame .... and more triangulation :flipoff2:
IMG_9998.jpg
IMG_9991.jpg

If they could do bends like this I'm not sure why they didn't bend everything else down to the frame... this tube goes to the top of the coil spring mount. :rolleyes:
IMG_9997.jpg

Last edited:
I broke out the heat gun and started removing the Budweiser wrap. The vertical surfaces came off pretty easy, took about an hour. The warp on the horizontal or top surfaces are cracked up pretty bad. They are going to take considerably longer ....

IMG_9977.jpg

IMG_9979.jpg

Ditch the carb, run propane like all of us cool kids do :smokin:

Also, cant wait to see this thing out on the lake bed for KOH :beer:

Last edited:
fawk yeah:smokin:

also in before "LS swap?"

I wish ... I could only fit the L or the S in there :laughing:

Ditch the carb, run propane like all of us cool kids do :smokin:

Also, cant wait to see this thing out on the lake bed for KOH :beer:

I likely will. I'm mostly nervous about where to get it around here. I can only think of 1-2 places and they are 20-30min away ... then again I never knew where diesel was till I had a diesel truck.

How do you even figure MPG to guess how big of a tank(s) to put in it?

and speaking of KoH ... how do you get it there? Run into town?

I wish ... I could only fit the L or the S in there :laughing:

I likely will. I'm mostly nervous about where to get it around here. I can only think of 1-2 places and they are 20-30min away ... then again I never knew where diesel was till I had a diesel truck.

dood, mid... engine... mog... :laughing:

this is a good lil extra fire under my ass to get me to KOH this year tho :smokin:

I get all my propane from a RV supply place that also sells propane, or also a place that comes out to the shop and fills our forklift propane tanks up every month. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a place, most gas stations sell propane by me too, finding the cheap spot is the hard part! I also have a party supply rental place that sells it for $5 a gallon :shaking:

As for MPG I am not sure about mine, my ODO doesn't work, but I can get a full days worth out of a singe 10 Gal tank, and that's not being light on the gas either. I run two tanks in the bed for the few day'er trips. GotPropane will be more knowledgeable on this though, I just went for the bigger tanks because I could

I bring out a few (4) 10 gal tanks to the desert so I don't have to run to town to fill them up. (EDIT: I forgot about Mojave Gas just down the road a bit, they also sell propane but I have never gotten it from them directly before) There are a few places in Yucca Valley that will fill you up, and I think one place in Lucerne, Yucca is a 30min drive from Hammer Town, but a 20 min drive from my place, 15min if I don't get stuck behind any Dez Locs

Last edited:
His website starts to get some traffic, and he runs out and buys a Mercedes:flipoff2:

I’m sad to see the bud wrap go, but excited to see how the rest of the build turns out. Do you think you’d have enough room to stuff a new 2.8 Cummins under the hood?

:lmao:. I've been singing this in my head for like a week

those 2.8s look small, possibly. It's also just as much as I paid for this one :laughing:

Mogs can take a competition style beating on 42"s. Depending on talent and wheeling style I wouldn't fear the extra 5".
The weight is another issue, that pig has got to be heavy enough as is.

Dood.

Change that pillow block out to an oversized heim.

It gives you some adustability and if you put in 2 Heims and a joint it gives you even more.

Lots to be done here.

feel free to call or send PM's

I'm not always drunk.

There is also a tilt column for the off road scene.

I had a got propane kit on my 22r Toyota with 2 fork lift tanks in the bed when it was driven on the road. I'd get about 12 MPG out of it on 36s and 5.29s. Propane, I found, is a little less efficient than gas, but it's made up in simplicity not dealing with the carb hating steep angles. Once it was cut up for only wheeling, a tank would last about a day and half of trail wheeling.

Most any place that fill a BBQ tank will fill the fork lift tanks. My go to place was an equipment rental place that had propane powered equipment and a fill station.

Ahhhh....so that's you! LOL, yep, over here from Benzworld. Anyway, have fun with the project, great trucks once they're properly set up.

Ahhhh....so that's you! LOL, yep, over here from Benzworld. Anyway, have fun with the project, great trucks once they're properly set up.

Yup, this is the only place I go by my name lol

Just called and ordered a propane kit from Carburetion and Turbo Systems Inc.

part # LP-Kit-Line-X

I had them add a T shape check valve setup so 2 tanks are hooked up to run simultaneously

This will eliminate the two small fuel tanks, the carb that needs rebuilt and possibly the loudest electric fuel pump ever.

..... now to find two tanks

two tanks and a remote fill? :smokin:

Throw some armor under the frame and protect it from the driveshaft, and you're golden.

Only problem I can think of is the exhause?

two tanks and a remote fill? :smokin:

Throw some armor under the frame and protect it from the driveshaft, and you're golden.

Only problem I can think of is the exhause?

I'm putting them under the bed here, should have easy access to fill them.
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0145.JPG Views:	0 Size:	399.7 KB ID:	213391

I got all the gas components ripped out ...
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0141 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	427.4 KB ID:	213393

Started mounting the new setup last night ...
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0145.JPG Views:	0 Size:	399.7 KB ID:	213391

Ran into an issue with the carb. This was supposed to be a kit to replace the factory setup. Either I got an odd intake or they sent the wrong carb. Even if the fuel flow is supposed to go from a single butterfly valve port and split into a dual port in the intake (which doesn't seem proportional), the studs don't align and the throttle is on the wrong side. ..... and it's a 4 day holiday weekend so I can't call on it :mad3:
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0141 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	427.4 KB ID:	213393

Well that sucks! I'd say that is definitely not the correct mixer for that intake manifold. It would act as one hell of a restriction if you could even get it to run like that. Last thing you need in that turd is LESS power. :laughing:

Took the rear seats out and discovered the hatch to the battery box ..... under the seat frame :rolleyes:
IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

Now I can remove the 220 style outlets on the front and back. I think these were for a winch that could go from font to back iff need be.
I already got a nice pop off the front one unbolting the front bumper :shocked:

IMG_0154.JPG

in regards to installing your propane tanks make sure they are easily removable. places that fill them in our/your area want them out of the vehicle to do so. they fill them by weight. The best place i filled them when i was running propane on my rig here in st louis is the Uhaul store at highway 44 and Kingshighway. If you haven't been to koh and plan on going for this coming year travel the southern route through Albuquerque/flagstaff so the roads dont screw you on your way out. as stated before anywhere that typically services rv's will be able to fill your propane tanks. ON my toyota running propane i could wheel for a whole weekend on a couple tanks. out in johnson valley its a different story than our local shit. you drive for miles out there.

Top Back Refresh