What's new

Unimog 404.111 build

I'm assuming you know the history that NM and KoH have with each other...

Best to head south through Mexico or North through CO to have a good chance at making it.

^^

I've had trips where we've detoured I40-30-20-10 through El Paso and head north from Palm Springs, just because the ABQ area was a disaster. Austin look seriously at cutting down on I35 in OK, it's longer but can be much less stressful. Everyone thinks of New Mexico and AZ as just desert but the I-40 stretch through there gets gnarly at times.

Those michelin tires are stiff as hell, and 404s so light

photo41876.jpg

photo41878.jpg

photo41879.jpg

:smokin:

Did you get it starting/running good again? I haven't seen that thread pop up lately and was wondering...

Yes and nnooo?!?!

The yes ...
After after testing every damn electronic component ... I replaced the ignition switch and coil. The ignition switch one of the previous owners stuck in was an AutoZone shelf item ....which are 12v .... for a 24v vehicle. :rolleyes: Definitely not something that came to mind to check for issues. Apparently they work for a bit ... then don't and it can fuck with the coil. Now it starts right up and idles like a champ, hitting the pedal is a very smooth and instant throttle response ..... feels nice.

The no?!? ....
The distributor is at 4* ... all the documents with the ignition conversion and from what I've read online say it needs to be 10-17*. To adjust it I have to drain the coolant and take off a hose so I can pull the distributor up and out of the block. It's tight in there and haven't bothered messing with it till I could get it rolling. So it idles great now, but I havent driven it to put it under load because I don't have wheels/tires. The Iroks it came with were shot and flat, I found a set of roller tires I took to get mounted on those rims to test on the street this weekend.

By the end of next week, my 43s and a new set of Stazworks Rims will be here :smokin:

Key switch deal is quite the kick in the dick. I wouldn't have thought of checking that.

You have to remove the distributor to change timing on that thing, you advance it by moving it a tooth or something? I have never seen or heard of such a procedure on an older vehicle. Interesting.......

Tires and wheels are going to look totally bad ass. Excellent choice!

You are going to have to post up a list of races/events you will be attending this year. It would be cool to meet you and check out the new ride. :smokin:

The ignition switch one of the previous owners stuck in was an AutoZone shelf item ....which are 12v .... for a 24v vehicle.

Can't see how that would be an issue unless there are heavy loads going through that switch without relays :confused:
Most automotive switches are rated for 12/24V.

Universal type ign.switches are notoriously crap though.

Can't see how that would be an issue unless there are heavy loads going through that switch without relays :confused:

That's what I was thinking. It's just switching a relay. Besides, 24 volts can run smaller wires. (That's why it's done)

I didn't think so either. From what I gathered these will crank at 24v (for awhile) to get the starter moving then drop voltage after the vehicle is started. The, it starts right up but then dies off right after, issue was the clue for him. It wasn't a 'humm let me think' situation, he knew right off the bat so I'm guessing it's common? Either way, I put a 24v Hummer ignition switch in and she's back to running.

24v could also jump a insulating gap that 12v wouldn't and put power where you aren't expecting it.

I believe it and defiantly experiencing that. It had 1 headlight that worked so I ordered some LEDs and put them in. Which are kinda cool BTW....

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0521.jpg Views:	41 Size:	456.0 KB ID:	271373

When the vehicle is off one of the LEDs still has a dim glow. Somehow the one is getting nearly 6volts somehow. There are so many draws all over the place it's ridiculous. There really isn't much electric on it anymore, so after this trip I'll likely spend a weekend redoing this mess.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0521.jpg Views:	41 Size:	456.0 KB ID:	271373

There is even more up under that leather cover at the top. I bet 2/3 of it can go away and a newer water proof style fuse block will be put in place.

my new setup should be pretty sweet for the Johnson Valley area in a few weeks...
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0633.jpg Views:	0 Size:	602.7 KB ID:	276758

This is what happens when you skip leg days at the gym. lol. Got some rollers on so the thing can actually get in and out of the garage now.

I found out my shocks from Fox will not be here in time so I'll be borrowing a nitrogen tank to top these old shocks off and will see how well they do for this trip.

I got the tanks mounted in place for this trip, over the summer I plan to mount them horizontal under the bed when I have more time to work on that.
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0633.jpg Views:	0 Size:	602.7 KB ID:	276758

Still waiting on USPS to get me the throttle linkage parts I need to actually drive it, hopefully they will be here in a day or so.

In the mean time, since irate4x4 is now selling Gorilla Whips and Rock Lights .... I started putting a set on last night, still have the rear wheel to do after I fix a body panel. Also waiting to mount the whip until the new rims/tires are on the spare tire carrier to make sure there is no interference.

They are super easy to install. I spent significantly more time trying to figure out where to put them vs actually installing and getting them running. They are pretty cool when they go to the music. I bet I played the Thunderstruck intro like 5 times watching them :lmao:. Once I get the other wheel and the whip mounted I'll post a video.

I have this 404 that was either originally propane or converted in Germany. Everything is in German on the propane tank. All the propane stuff is gone. I'll make a beer cooler out of it. Motor is locked up and missing parts so it's getting an om617 soon.

photo43820.jpg

Last edited:
KOH update?

We lost. Timed out. Barely got off the short course when Randy Slawson crossed the line.

:laughing:

The week before I left the M/T Baja XS tires I ordered showed up ..... and they were the wrong size. Shipping goofed and sent 35s ... which were a bit small...
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0764.jpg Views:	0 Size:	580.6 KB ID:	313654

Then I find out they were out of the 43s I wanted .... but luckily they the Baja Pro X (stickies) ready to ship so I got those 2 days before I left.
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0828.jpg Views:	0 Size:	568.2 KB ID:	313655

I would have preferred the regular ones so I could take it on the local roads but ... had to get to KoH.

The day before I left about 5pm the new Stazworks beadlocks showed up. When the guy says he's busy AF and it'd be close ... he meant it lol. Trying to mount those after finishing packing that night was a fiasco. Said Fuck it, loaded the wheels and tires on the trailer and as you can see from the post above I stopped at a member's place on the way and he and his crew helps me get these mounted.
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0837.jpg Views:	0 Size:	283.5 KB ID:	313656

Made it the rest of the way there just fine. It was really the firs time I got to drive it around. I knew beforehand messing with the shocks that they were not 100%. I didn't realize how bad they were till driving around the lake bed, it was like driving around in a big 70s Cadillac ... just a long slow bouncing lol. I did a few hill climbs and under heavy load the engine would act as if it was starving for fuel, so I think I still have a timing issue to work out. I just got a new timing light with a built in tach to get a second opinion :smokin:

I was just glad to have it there and mobile so it, and the site, could be seen. I spent most of the time moving it around to be seen. So given all that, and all the media stuff I was doing I didn't make a real effort to hit a hard trails. Just have some poser pics from around the lakebed .....

This one is by far my fav ...
Click image for larger version Name:	ibb-koh-2021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	433.0 KB ID:	313657

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0964.jpg Views:	0 Size:	441.7 KB ID:	313660
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0964.jpg Views:	0 Size:	441.7 KB ID:	313660

It got a ton of attention which was the main goal, so I'm happy with that. Next year it will be trail ready :smokin:

Is that a new engine in the crate? Where does one find an NOS engine for a Mog? Pretty cool. :smokin:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Yup, a place called Expedition Importers in CA imports all kinds of Unimog NOS from Europe. Somebody bought this from them a few years back and he just decided he couldn't finish the project so I nabbed it. Not 100% if I'll use it yet.

Click image for larger version Name:	F3ACB52E-7BA5-4BA5-AB8A-92542B47FB1E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	329941

Click image for larger version Name:	F3ACB52E-7BA5-4BA5-AB8A-92542B47FB1E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	329941

Bad ass! When does the crate with the turbo and intercooler arrive?

:stirthepot:

You're semi reading my mind :flipoff2:

Problem with turbos is that not many have done them b/c they only have a 4 main bearings. Many 404 builders or collectors think it's a time bomb, being new to the Mog all I can do is go by what most are saying. I did find a kit somebody is selling tho :stirthepot:

If I put this crate motor in, it would be over winter. Until then I'm on the hunt for a M130 engine from a 68-71 Mercedes 280S. A unicorn lol. It is also an inline 6 thats comparable in size and shape to the M180 and can be mounted in a 404 fairly easily. That engine, with its dual carbs and high compression would hike the horsepower from 82HP to 180HP. That .. is also really pushing it for the rest of the drivetrain.

So I got time ... and options for now.

Are you saying the hp of that rig is 82?

Of a stock Unimog 404, yes. This one is probably less since you lose some with propane. These engines are 7:1 compression where propane likes to be at 10:1.

They are like a tractor, all gearing

Top Back Refresh