What's new

CA Ultra4 King of the Hammers Week | Jan 29–Feb 6 | | Johnson Valley, CA

Base of turkey claw area keep you away from the wind when it comes up out of the SW. We usually camp right around there and like it.

How's it spectator wise for the race? last year were pretty close to Turkey Claw but didn't know if it was a good spot to get photos.

Dont know the course yet, but we usually go to different spots throughout the day to watch the action.

as for firewood, dont forget to check the local craiglist or fb market place for people selling firewood

this might not be advised but i filled up 2 truck beds full of wood a couple years ago in tehachapi on my way south from a craigslist ad

Has anyone seen the whole registered drivers list yet? I have seen the rented tents list, but am wondering about the total number of entrants. I do not any of the social media crap, so I'm out of that loop.

heya, we'll be camped near the group with the huge lit-up pyramid/Christmas tree; every year they set that up and have a small 3-wheel track and have drunken races. Fun times

Has anyone seen the whole registered drivers list yet? I have seen the rented tents list, but am wondering about the total number of entrants. I do not any of the social media crap, so I'm out of that loop.

Go to the "Who's Registered" tab for a listing they keep updating. Dave said in the pre-show, there are a little over 500 registered at that time (two weeks ago).
https://ultra4racing.com/race/57

No clue lol

First time there. Going to get there the morning of the 29th and look around, we have a camper being delivered early afternoon to set up camp.

some places better than others?

We usually camp near the mountain base to block some of the wind. Somewhat of a quiet spot close enough to walk to town without getting ran over.

29313203-D672-4B54-A33E-66C825FA9268.jpeg

3CA56170-00F4-45DB-8BDE-1A49A7C1565F.jpeg

Fresh swag just arrived and it's perfect for KoH !!!
  • Heavy Duty double sided flags
  • Gator masks! Show the fangers on your face or flip it over to hide them
I'll get these on the swag store this evening!

Keep an eye out for a big 3'x5' version of that flag flying at our camp!

Will you have these at KOH?

Ive got the HMC map for Avenza. Can anyone point me towards some trails out there that i could hit in my '99 4runner? 3in suspension 1" body lift, elocker, recovery points but its a 5speed so not the most ideal "crawler" Pretty babic build.

Ive got the HMC map for Avenza. Can anyone point me towards some trails out there that i could hit in my '99 4runner? 3in suspension 1" body lift, elocker, recovery points but its a 5speed so not the most ideal "crawler" Pretty babic build.

Most trails are "closed" during the race and days leading up for obvious reasons, I don't have the course map just yet either so I cant say which would be "open". Turkey Claw is always open for normal folks to run, its away from most of the course and see's a lot of folks hitting it throughout the day. Pretty easy but can be made fun. You can park to the side of it and walk up to spectate people going up it to get a grasp of if you can make it. I'll definitely be burning some laps on that trail drinking some beers lol Here is the google location of it: https://goo.gl/maps/kvjBh7bVzg1ZPRos8 hang a left when going up it to exit, or hang a right and go up SOS which is harder and may put you out onto the course if they run the same area they did last year.

I am also betting that Full of Love wont be in the course this year either but is out of your runners ability: https://goo.gl/maps/GAg3HjbB2qLNCzZJ7

If you are looking for a nice cruise to get away from the dust and crowd for a while, head over to giant rock: https://goo.gl/maps/pMny7TSML6EEDjEX8

This is a nice look out spot near Giant Rock: https://goo.gl/maps/3vfWDN97tNXwX9Zk8 lets you get a look at the military's fake Iraqi village which is here: https://goo.gl/maps/JtbNQ1mdJMBCS7mM7

This trail is more like a road but still fun and gives you some good views of the lake bed: https://goo.gl/maps/Vfk3QcJoop1A5BvD9

I got a few secret spots I am going to be hitting trying to get a buddy and his new buggy into some fucked up positions :stirthepot:

Last edited:
my next question was .... is it that F'n messy/dusty there? My dad has a really nice 5th wheel that I wouldn't think of getting all dirty

I know this post is old... but I camped in 2019 (the coldest year it’s been?) in a tent and I’m still finding dust in it

We usually camp near the mountain base to block some of the wind. Somewhat of a quiet spot close enough to walk to town without getting ran over.

was out there over the weekend and im pretty sure that is all fenced in as part of hammertown

[memphis said:
;n287315]

I know this post is old... but I camped in 2019 (the coldest year it’s been?) in a tent and I’m still finding dust in it

2019 was brutal. Couldn't imagine tenting it. I'll be in my maroon and silver striped bluebird motorhome with my blue raisin YJ. Anyone is welcome to stop by.

At some point I wouldn't be surprised if they just fenced off an area to herd everyone into it and no one can wander out side the wire. There will be one drunk guy who hops into his rusted out XJ to drive through the barriers to go bash at backdoor and he will have to be shot to make an example to scare the others into staying within the confines.

Maybe I am glad I borrowed a camera :laughing:

such an angry young man. i assume they needed more space to spread everything out for social distancing.

I'm interested to see what they have done to the jumbotron seating area.
The once was giant fire pit will now be one burning log spaced every 6 feet.
They will probably space the port o potties 6 feet apart as well.
More important than the actual race will be the unsanctioned Thursday night Backdoor and Chocolate Thunder runs when the alphabet boys try to enforce the mask and social distancing mandates on the side of the canyon walls. That would be a show worth watching!

I'm interested to see what they have done to the jumbotron seating area.
The once was giant fire pit will now be one burning log spaced every 6 feet.
They will probably space the port o potties 6 feet apart as well.
More important than the actual race will be the unsanctioned Thursday night Backdoor and Chocolate Thunder runs when the alphabet boys try to enforce the mask and social distancing mandates on the side of the canyon walls. That would be a show worth watching!

I was wondering that last night, especially with the Backdoor shitshow that happens the night before the main race as last year was the most packed I've ever seen it.
Gotta see how they are going to handle the start/finish line for us media folks as well. As of now, we're not allowed to crowd the rigs to get photos at the finish line, but nothing has been said about the start of the race.

heya, we'll be camped near the group with the huge lit-up pyramid/Christmas tree; every year they set that up and have a small 3-wheel track and have drunken races. Fun times

Ill be there for those shenanigans Tuesday night for sure. Trying to figure out how to get my ATC70 in my checked bag now. :lmao:

Top Back Refresh