What's new

CA Ultra4 King of the Hammers Week | Jan 29–Feb 6 | | Johnson Valley, CA

It has not been brought up, those people that are going have been talking about it in the 2021 Koh Event thread. I'm down, just not sure what that would entail.

If anybody is racing in the 4600 or EMC be sure to hit me up for parts you need, I'm offering big discounts in exchange for advertising irate4x4 on your rig :smokin:

(i think you were hinting for me to reply here)

i dont think im going to be there, but if any IBB racers dont have a pit or remote pit, they could give you a box with parts, gas cans and tires to you (with there names on em) and IBB members would be the man power -oh and sandwiches/water

i would imagine everyone has a start/finish line pit set up, but a remote pit could be a big help

also you need a big ":flipoff2: irate 4x4" banner and a unimog :laughing:

My scheduling has changed. I am only going to be able to do two races in January and the winner of the two is the Legacy Racing Organizations inaugural desert race in Pahrump, Nevada - January 7-10, 2021. One of my tire distributors is going to be there to hand off my inventory so I need to make this one a priority and set-up my booth there. Hope to see everyone from iRate at another event of KOH2022. You can still hit me up for parts as you pre-your shit though.

if it gets to lvl 3, then yeah, that'll put a dent in things, though I wonder if media folks will be treated as staff and have to get a test. Right now the hospitalization rate for that county (San Bernadino) is trending downwards which is pretty good and if it continues, then it should be ok at lvl 1.

Oh I'm sure it'll be lvl3.. gotta push the fear mongering agenda.. sad what happening with our government. Pretty sure everyone is gonna need a test or proof of test

Oh I'm sure it'll be lvl3.. gotta push the fear mongering agenda.. sad what happening with our government. Pretty sure everyone is gonna need a test or proof of test

yeah, the way things are going with the increase in hospitalization rates, I can see them doing lvl 3 or if things get really bad, watch it be moved to another date

So, "here's the deal" ha ha, just kidding. They just communicated this wrong. It is all about knowing your audience. Now, if they had some 1/2 naked, super hot Monster Energy girls making this announcements and add, the "test and injection will made your shlong 3-4" longer guys...." Guys would be, well maybe the risk is worth it, yeah, sign me THE FUCK UP !!!

yeah, the way things are going with the increase in hospitalization rates, I can see them doing lvl 3 or if things get really bad, watch it be moved to another date

I don’t think people realize how much goes into making this event work. Simply moving it to another date based on a unpredictable pandemic is probably not feasible logistically. I don’t speak for anyone at HK or U4 as I am not in the know anymore. But as an event planner on a much smaller scale it just doesn’t happen that way.

Again...no inside info and not speaking for KOH.

I don’t think people realize how much goes into making this event work. Simply moving it to another date based on a unpredictable pandemic is probably not feasible logistically. I don’t speak for anyone at HK or U4 as I am not in the know anymore. But as an event planner on a much smaller scale it just doesn’t happen that way.

Again...no inside info and not speaking for KOH.

I hear what you're saying, and yeah there's a lot of work that goes into it, however KOH is in San Bernadino County which is #4 on the highest number of hospitalization rates as of today (plus it's climbing). If the county/city is still allowing the event to happen at the current HR then things should be ok, however if it reaches a critical point, say by the middle of January if they either change the date or make it a racer, media only event. Either way, I'm keeping fingers crossed that it does happen.

*Note: Just basing all of this from the info I get at work as I work for a large hospital group here in Ca where lots of the decisions to have things open or closed are based off of hospitalization rates and not from the number of infections.

I hear what you're saying, and yeah there's a lot of work that goes into it, however KOH is in San Bernadino County which is #4 on the highest number of hospitalization rates as of today (plus it's climbing). If the county/city is still allowing the event to happen at the current HR then things should be ok, however if it reaches a critical point, say by the middle of January if they either change the date or make it a racer, media only event. Either way, I'm keeping fingers crossed that it does happen.

*Note: Just basing all of this from the info I get at work as I work for a large hospital group here in Ca where lots of the decisions to have things open or closed are based off of hospitalization rates and not from the number of infections.

Right. San Bernardino County is a small yet significant partner when you factor in all the other .gov stakeholders. HK has already said this will be the best media coverage to date.

Was there in 2020.

Madness

Sheer, FK'n Madness

Volunteered with HK every day, provided what Pit support I could for "Team Trail Rig", 4653 and Amber Turner in the little Sami that did... (She finished the entire EmC course, but timed out)

I'm headed back this year, but no final testing criteria has been sent to old\new volunteers (I'm sure its coming soon; i'm sure it will be expensive)

For RV dump refill services, be very careful. I got ripped off. I negotiated a reduced price due to me having a Yota-Toter (Lance on a Gooseneck) 50.00 for dump and 20 gal of water. Never got get the water. ( I was cheating although; I have dual 50 gallon gray\black water tanks hidden under the decking; but both were almost empty.. I really only needed the shower water)

Dust? yea. I worked remote road crossing on the far north west desert loop for all but the Moto. I worked a space between Chocco Boom Boom and her problem. From that high vantage point, there was this amazing brown cloud covering all of the valley. Really weird :) Looked like LA in the 70's..

Winds? Yes. Three separate 60+ MPH dust storms from the West. One about 2 weeks before, and two on race week. I forgot to close my tow rigs AC vent to recirc. When I turned on the blower it literally drifted sand everywhere. (Note to self: Park tow rig facing the Marine base). I saw totaled tents blown all the way to the back side of the mountain all the way on the dry lake bed.. and multiple pairs of ladies unmentionables blown into creosote bushes.. :)

Cold? 19 degrees.... My Lance is a newer model with a slide, propane Onan and big 'pane heater and it took almost 30 mins both running to warm up my shite. (120Vac heater and propane) And to add insult, my rig is a Texas rig. "we doh nee no steekin heaterz...." froze my ass off driving to the far desert loop every morning. I just need to connect the heater core.

I am balls deep into upgrading the heating solution in the Yota-Toter\Lance. I pulled the propane forced air heater, and am installing a diesel fired "parking heater". these are good for running all night. tiny current draw VS the old propane blower and does not drink propane like a Burning Man Bad Acid trip flaming Ass lesbian she-dragon.. thing.. car... (Disclaimer: I can neither confirm or deny the proceeding observation)

BTW. Plan to be on the lakebed starting the 23rd. If the Irate crowd gets together, post up and I will try to stop and say hello. I'm packing all of my Comms gear. Radio reworks\mods. Antenna analyzer, programming laptops.. ECT.

Elvis

I'm shooting to be there from Feb 2nd (Tuesday) through Feb 6th (and leaving right after the race to hopefully avoid the next day exodus/shitshow of people trying to leave).
Good news is that I've heard back from Ultra4 and got my level 1 media credentials, so if you've got a team that's going to be there, post up your team number and I'll do my best to get and share any photos I get of the irate crew.

I'm shooting to be there from Feb 2nd (Tuesday) through Feb 6th (and leaving right after the race to hopefully avoid the next day exodus/shitshow of people trying to leave).
Good news is that I've heard back from Ultra4 and got my level 1 media credentials, so if you've got a team that's going to be there, post up your team number and I'll do my best to get and share any photos I get of the irate crew.

4653 Trail Rig Racing!
fetch?id=12096&d=1590439187.jpg

1.jpg

4653 Trail Rig Racing!

Awesome!

At the last race in OK my dumb ass rented a big expensive camera, I really didn't know how to use, and got like 20 good pics out of 2k :laughing:

At KoH irate4x4 will have a dedicated professional photographer there and I've been bumped to video. We'll be keeping an eye out!

Awesome!

At the last race in OK my dumb ass rented a big expensive camera, I really didn't know how to use, and got like 20 good pics out of 2k :laughing:

At KoH irate4x4 will have a dedicated professional photographer there and I've been bumped to video. We'll be keeping an eye out!

we camp On genright ave usually around 205 spot, come stop by and say Hello.

Awesome!

Right on, did you get your credentials?

Coming all the way from South Dakota. Bringing dirtbikes and my 3rd gen 4runner incase weather sucks. Rented a camper out of Hisperia. Will be there the the 30th-7th...Super stoked. First time at KOH.

Anybody know where they're doing the shootout yet?

They won’t release that info till opening week I bet. They haven’t the last couple years anyway

yeah, if you do go, quick tip: don't stand directly behind the rigs when they start going up the hill because they'll shoot rocks right at you. Last year, on one of the last rigs to go, another media dude was standing next to me (we were next to the announcer table with a bunch of other media and safety people) and a softball sized rock got kicked back by a rig and nailed him right in the face and took out an eye. The THUD/Crunch is a very distinct sound.

Also since it's held at night, it's been stupid cold towards the end of the event though last year there was a booth handing out free coffee and hot chocolate.

Anyone localish know where to buy some firewood? Would like to lock some in before we get there.

Did I read somewhere that you can't bring your own?

Always advisable to burn firewood from the area to limit the chance of non-native issues getting transferred.

Lake Bed specifically has been no dimensional lumber. Kind of a blanket statement to stop pallets and other screw/nail holding wood getting burned and turning into tire poppers in the sand.

Top Back Refresh