What's new

CA Ultra4 King of the Hammers Week | Jan 29–Feb 6 | | Johnson Valley, CA

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
Details will be updated when available ... but be there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	koh.jpg Views:	17 Size:	71.3 KB ID:	101093

Anybody going? I plan on being here, not sure what people do for lodging or camping. I'd love to borrow my dad's 5th wheel but it's his new baby, do people fly in to someplace close and rent RVs? or?

An irate night in Vegas could be fun :evil:

I am planning on being there, but what are the odds that it is still going to happen being that it is in California? It seems like a lot of events are still getting cancelled or are in danger of cancellation...

I will be there for sure, staying at our property that's down the wash a bit towards giant rock, out and away from the dust :smokin:

I am planning on being there, but what are the odds that it is still going to happen being that it is in California? It seems like a lot of events are still getting cancelled or are in danger of cancellation...

I would not be remotely surprised it gets "cancelled". But if that happens, besides the actual race and "formal" events stopping, I'm not sure how you could stop all the people showing up. It's public land and open desert, seems like it'd be hard to stop 30,000 people showing up and just posting their camp sites in random spots. It's not like Boone road is the only way in. I feel like a lot/most people don't care for the racing anyways and are more there to party and go wheeling with their friends for a week.

TL;DR -- Will get cancelled, so no race but everyone will still be there.

I would not be remotely surprised it gets "cancelled". But if that happens, besides the actual race and "formal" events stopping, I'm not sure how you could stop all the people showing up. It's public land and open desert, seems like it'd be hard to stop 30,000 people showing up and just posting their camp sites in random spots. It's not like Boone road is the only way in. I feel like a lot/most people don't care for the racing anyways and are more there to party and go wheeling with their friends for a week.

TL;DR -- Will get cancelled, so no race but everyone will still be there.

true. Several other races have been canceled to the public, but the races were still held.

I am planning on going, it will be my first trip out there. It's probably going to be a shitty year to go but that's life. I have a few friends who will be out there working, but don't know anyone else. Probably going to fly out and rent something to drive out there. If it works out, I'd be down to meet up with some folks

Anybody going? I plan on being here, not sure what people do for lodging or camping. I'd love to borrow my dad's 5th wheel but it's his new baby, do people fly in to someplace close and rent RVs? or?

An irate night in Vegas could be fun :evil:

http://www.bigbearrvrentals.com
https://www.elmonterv.com/rv-rental...s/rv-rentals-location-victorville-rv-rentals/

I've used both. Big Bear is probably booked out, El Monte is part of a larger network and brings rv's from all over.

I'll be there. I go every year but I live in San Diego so logistics are easier. I agree with above that stuff will happen regardless of CA. Dave Cole and many others have private property there and could easily have an unofficial start/finish line for people "not racing just recreating". And OP yes many people fly and rent RV's/stay with real or internet friends/hotel near by or rent a car and buy a tent. Closest airport is Ontario CA but Las Vegas isn't much further away.

my next question was .... is it that F'n messy/dusty there? My dad has a really nice 5th wheel that I wouldn't think of getting all dirty

my next question was .... is it that F'n messy/dusty there? My dad has a really nice 5th wheel that I wouldn't think of getting all dirty

Dust gets everywhere :laughing: Imagine tens of thousands of people driving around non-stop on flour at all hours of the day and night.

Like '84 Bronco said, dust and sand will get everywhere if you're on the lake bed. We had a buddy camp down there to help pit, tried to keep his rv closed up and sealed as best he could, but the dust and sand always finds a way in. If you are wanting to keep it clean, I'd avoid camping dead nuts center on the lake bed at a minimum.

One year it rained the week before, and it kept the dust down more than I've ever seen, but the year after it was dusty as fuck as normal lol. You can see the cloud of dust from miles away, not joking.

Like '84 Bronco said, dust and sand will get everywhere if you're on the lake bed. We had a buddy camp down there to help pit, tried to keep his rv closed up and sealed as best he could, but the dust and sand always finds a way in. If you are wanting to keep it clean, I'd avoid camping dead nuts center on the lake bed at a minimum.

One year it rained the week before, and it kept the dust down more than I've ever seen, but the year after it was dusty as fuck as normal lol. You can see the cloud of dust from miles away, not joking.

I think it was 2 ago (2019), I could see the dust cloud just before we got to Twentynine Palms.

There will be an event there, sanctioned or not. Dave's best argument is to ensure the race happens, lest it be the true wild west of 10-30k people there having one massive rager. The race at least keeps people stationary for a while. :smokin:

Dust gets everywhere :laughing: Imagine tens of thousands of people driving around non-stop on flour at all hours of the day and night.

That's pretty accurate as you'll find dust in every nook and cranny. Plus if you're a light sleeper, drink heavily as there's people driving at all hours, at ludicrous speeds.
Best to get one of those face shield things (they hand them out for free at the Nitto tire booth next to the main stage).

I'll be there again this year, hopefully as a media dude, which is pretty cool.

Morning 2 or 3 last year. Army Surplus tent, staked like crazy and a HREW frame. Cooking tent, had to start all over. Dust on every single thing from one night of wind.

It sucked.

No wind, RV will look like new. Leave windows open and 30 MPH winds, he’s going to kill you.

CDF7DBE8-3E72-4902-B5EC-6E7857FF196F.jpeg

Morning 2 or 3 last year. Army Surplus tent, staked like crazy and a HREW frame. Cooking tent, had to start all over. Dust on every single thing from one night of wind.

It sucked.

No wind, RV will look like new. Leave windows open and 30 MPH winds, he’s going to kill you.

I know one year they had 75mph winds at night and it tore up all kinds of stuff. Also, it was either 2-3 years ago that there was a severe wind/dust storm on Saturday that caused a huge traffic jam trying to get out of the Hammers. My friends were stuck and couldn't leave until late afternoon, but I bailed Friday night right after the race with no issue (also lucked out and missed a huge accident that also blocked the road as well).

I went in 2019 and tent camped. I was under equipped.
The best advice I was given was to wear a rain jacket, it cut down on the wind.

My brother in law slept in a Klim snowmobile suit in the tent and froze his ass off. I rocked a hoodie, sweats and a cousin Eddy hat. Alcohol helped induce a sleep coma.

I am organizing to go this year but logistics are different because I’m coming from Canada. I can fly but I’m sketched out booking flights right now. I want to rent an RV and drive all the way with a Jeep. Can’t do that unless the border opens up.

Flights are stupid cheap so it’s enticing at $285 CAD round trip. We flew and bought shitty sleeping bags from Walmart. Gave them to Goodwill after we finished with them.

I still have dust in my tent 🏕

Last edited:
I’ll be there working under the Maxxis awning. Hopefully dragging my rig from OH out there this year for some evening shenanigans.

Pack for all types of weather, 70s, rain, snow, dust you never know what to expect.

[memphis said:
;n133783]I went in 2019 and tent camped. I was under equipped.
The best advice I was given was to wear a rain jacket, it cut down on the wind.

My brother in law slept in a Klim snowmobile suit in the tent and froze his ass off. I rocked a hoodie, sweats and a cousin Eddy hat. Alcohol helped induce a sleep coma.

I am organizing to go this year but logistics are different because I’m coming from Canada. I can fly but I’m sketched out booking flights right now. I want to rent an RV and drive all the way with a Jeep. Can’t do that unless the border opens up.

Flights are stupid cheap so it’s enticing at $285 CAD round trip. We flew and bought shitty sleeping bags from Walmart. Gave them to Goodwill after we finished with them.

I still have dust in my tent 🏕

yeah, that's the year I learned just how cold it can get down there. I sleep in my rig and couple of times at night when trying to sleep, I had to turn on the engine to get the heater going. nothing like waking up to 20 degree weather. For 2020, I bought a pair of these; https://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men/Carhartt-Yukon-Extremes-Insulated-Biberall-104461
just in case it got cold again, but of course, it was actually pretty warm at night.

I went last year for the first time. Coming from CO, it was -5*F the morning I left, I was looking forward to warming up in the desert. The first night there was cold, but not too bad. The second night Hurricane Hammer came through and fucked shit up. There were tents and tables and trash blown everywhere. The wind came out of the west, I had my camper pointed west, and sucked open the camper door ( that was pointed due east) twice. I had to deadbolt it to keep it shut. The next day I never left camp, and started questioning my life choices. I finally made some coffee and dressed up in my Carhart Xtremes and went to watch the shootout at Chocolate Thunder. Froze my ass off. Made some new friends who had been there before and brought firewood.

PRO TIP: BRING FIREWOOD EVERYWHERE YOU GO

The rest of the week was great. The weather was warmer. The wind came up a little on raceday and helped out. The dust cloud is no joke. I could see it from the top of the hill between Barstow and Lucerne Valley. I am still sweeping dust out of my truck, camper, and Jeep.

But I am still planning on going again. It is a great time! Met so many nice dudes, (and like 3 chicks that were there)

Every year I go the weather is totally different than a previous time. I've only been a handful of times, but it's been 90 degrees out and shorts weather sweating balls, snowing, raining, windier than fuck, clear skies, so dusty you can barely see a block, and everything in between. I essentially pack everything I own, and usually end up using all of it.

So... I'm thinking about driving out and dragging the Polaris so I have some wheels to get around...

What are the restrictions out there for a Polaris Ranger? I know some states/parks etc are strict about stuff like that...

Also, would i be able (capable) of getting from spot to spot along the course for watching the race(s)?

Obviously a first timer here...

Thanks.

So... I'm thinking about driving out and dragging the Polaris so I have some wheels to get around...

What are the restrictions out there for a Polaris Ranger? I know some states/parks etc are strict about stuff like that...

Also, would i be able (capable) of getting from spot to spot along the course for watching the race(s)?

Obviously a first timer here...

Thanks.

Polaris ranger is totally fine to get around in, you "must" be wearing a helmet at all times when driving it around Hammer Town, they WILL pull you over and give you a ticket if they see you, trust me. I was cruising through Hammer Town last year drinking a road soda and a ranger lit up behind me and then blew past to pull over a sxs with out helmets lol. Other then that you can drive and do pretty much what ever you want, we drive the crawlers, dirtbikes, golf carts, rzrs etc around the lake bed all the time, watch out for cross traffic at the big intersections. Just maintain a steady speed and no abrupt stops or turns and you will be all good. Bring goggles for dust 100%. Also make sure your lights work for night time, front, rear, and even a lighted whip up top to be extra cool.

As for viewing spots that are accessible: They will give you a map when you check in at the front gate that will have the courses and also spectator viewing areas. Make sure you stay off the course.

The most common spectator spots are Chocolate Thunder, Back Door, Jack and Sledge, and one or two open desert areas that will be listed on the map. There is also the Monster Energy stage within hammer town that is a two story viewing platform that looks over the finish/starting line (Free monster as well, and they let you bring your own beer up too :beer:)

I usually watch at Chocolate Thunder w/ a group and a few icechests. Then hop around to back door or Jack & Sledge.

Chocolate and Backdoor get wild at night after the races, Last year Chocolate was the gnarliest ive seen it. Will be a good time all around

Also, if you are feeling like exploring far out of Hammertown and away from the race course there is Giant Rock and also the local bar you can ride up to in buggies and bikes, Landers Brewing Company

Last edited:
Bring masks also. To go along with the dust and googles or sitting out in the sun, I've been wearing Buffs around my neck and/or over my face to deal with both the last multiple years.

Top Back Refresh